It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 04:57

Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Interesting NPR interview about internet shopping and carts
PostPosted: 15 Nov 2018, 18:51 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

This is sort of a followup to my other topic: https://forum.lddb.com/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=7949

Was listening to NPR a few days ago and wasn't able to post.
I caught an interview/news snipit about how internet sales have an issue with people putting items in their carts and not buying them.

70% of people put items in internet shopping carts and do not purchase due to many different reasons.

So this is another off angle of the I have the item in my wishlist but its only 5 bucks.
Do you really want it or is it just like playing a game on your phone, you have it but may not play all the time.

Post subject: Re: Interesting NPR interview about internet shopping and ca
PostPosted: 15 Nov 2018, 21:52 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

So to you a Wishlist and a Cart are the same thing.

EDIT: Also, how do you know what’s in my Wishlist? I don’t even know what’s there unless I specifically go there and I haven’t looked at it in a while. I’m sorry it angers you so. And yeah, I guess it is like a phone game. I buy LDs sometimes but not every single day forever.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 15 Nov 2018, 21:55 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

No, its just another angle of the same mentality of internet shopper who just dreams about owning a collection of stuff, sort of like a virtual internet collection.

PostPosted: 15 Nov 2018, 22:16 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

I do this all the time because it's usually the only convenient way to see what the total, tax, and shipping costs will be.

Your gripe about wishlists/carts and other consumers not acting the way you want them to is weird, childish and off-putting.

PostPosted: 15 Nov 2018, 23:43 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I can't buy everything I want all at once. This is why I leave many things in my watched items on eBay. I generally don't do wishlists, but I did just make one on Rightstuf for a secret santa. They definitely have their uses. I could see using it like I use my eBay watch list.

On the subject of abandoned carts, it is kind of crazy. A discussion came up on another forum awhile back when eBay was having a ton of trouble about how people will abandon their purchase and try another site at the first sign of trouble. I don't get this. If I'm going to be buying something then I have already determined I want it and I will see it through, I wouldn't let a mild issue derail me.

Sometimes I will put items into my cart to mull things over or check the total though.

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2018, 00:07 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Not really childish, just asking questions and pointing out facts.

Totally understand not being able to buy everything at once, but I feel that since all these sites have turned into buying platforms where the
items sit from both sellers and potential buyers that is when these issues have risen.

When something like ebay was auction only you had to either buy it or pass, due to money, time etc.
Now you can just put it in your cart and think.

When I have the money if there is something I want I buy it, rather than trying to have a wishlist.
I'm old enough to decide if I want something or not, I don't need to wish upon a star anymore :lol:

Another issue is that this just happened with me, I put 2 books in my cart from another book site and just left :|

I can totally see how it is childish and off putting, but so is 70% of buyers who don't actually buy anything that put the items in their carts.
Almost like those talk shows where they would interview shop-a-holics, so we no longer have them just cart-a-holics :lol:

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2018, 00:33 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

rein-o wrote:

Totally understand not being able to buy everything at once, but I feel that since all these sites have turned into buying platforms where the
items sit from both sellers and potential buyers that is when these issues have risen.

When something like ebay was auction only you had to either buy it or pass, due to money, time etc.

When I have the money if there is something I want I buy it, rather than trying to have a wishlist.
I'm old enough to decide if I want something or not, I don't need to wish upon a star anymore :lol:

Another issue is that this just happened with me, I put 2 books in my cart from another book site and just left :|

I can totally see how it is childish and off putting, but so is 70% of buyers who don't actually buy anything that put the items in their carts.
Almost like those talk shows where they would interview shop-a-holics, so we no longer have them just cart-a-holics :lol:

Lots of non-paying bidders on auctions too. I've experienced this from both sides. Selling + not receiving payment as well as seeing an item I didn't win relisted due to non-payment. I think the truth of the matter is many people are flaky and non-committal. Sometimes about things much more serious than an online shopping cart too. As a seller, I actually prefer listing as BIN only. I find if something is sitting, either on my end or from someone else, it's usually just because the item is too high. OTOH I just lowered an item to $165 shipped and during the time frame my listing has been up, one sold for $190 + shipping in worse condition. So sometimes there is no rhyme or reason.

This is just my stance on them, but to me wishlists are pretty much for gift giving scenarios (ss, wedding, baby shower etc) or at a second hand media store where they don't always have an item in stock so you can be first in line to buy it if they get what you are looking for.

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2018, 01:22 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

rein-o wrote:

It’s true that eBay sometimes feels like a Mexican standoff where the buyer sits on items not selling for *years* with all the fans not buying it. Meanwhile the item itself just sits somewhere not being enjoyed by anyone or bringing anyone cash.

The solution to that 9/10 is to lower the damned price though. I have things in my Wishlist that you have had in your store for ages. It just sits there because it’s more than I want to pay. I’m “wishing” that I’ll find one for less but until then holding back pending a giant windfall. If you want to move some shazbatt and you know (somehow) that the audience is aware of it...lower the price until it’s gone. That’s retail day one so why didn’t you start a thread announcing a discount instead of this same wierd complaint you’ve already made before? Are you trying to annoy us into buying your discs?

Btw, I may be crazy but IIRC you’ve actually *rasied* the price on some of your LDs that I’ve been watching forever, like the Atom box. That could be my imagination though.

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2018, 01:40 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

I'm open to offers but I won't give stuff away.
So even if the half off is still too high contact me, I am enjoying it but also would enjoy the cash too :lol:

I haven't changed the prices on my stuff in the shop since I haven't sold much in the past year from there, most of it is selling on ebay
the stuff I have in my shop is stuff I'm trying to take a risk on with price.

So if you want something lowball me an offer, just not 2 bucks :mrgreen:

Man, I can't remember, if I did raise the price on the Atom box it would have been over 1 year ago.
I did raise the price on the Galient box as I saw one missing the kit on YJ for 225 or around that, and I figure with shipping you can't get it
cheaper but I'm still open to offers.

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2018, 02:53 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

The best I can relate to is people being too afraid to make any offers at all, except insultingly low ones.

I'm trying to ditch some high-end gokins but I can't even lose them for like half the market value because there's no domestic market for them and it feels pretty much pointless to try selling them internationally because the shipping would certainly discourage potential buyers.

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2018, 03:29 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

takeshi666 wrote:
The best I can relate to is people being too afraid to make any offers at all, except insultingly low ones.

I'm trying to ditch some high-end gokins but I can't even lose them for like half the market value because there's no domestic market for them and it feels pretty much pointless to try selling them internationally because the shipping would certainly discourage potential buyers.

Some people think they can hustle on eBay for w/e reason. I always list with best offer and there was one user who would always offer like 30% of any video game I listed for sale. I finally just blocked that account.

Just today a friend of mine listed an IPhone 7 he bought that has some weird issues but works alright. Listed at $235 priced to fly. Got an offer for $150 almost immediately via message, didn't even have best offer on.

rein-o wrote:
So even if the half off is still too high contact me, I am enjoying it but also would enjoy the cash too :lol:

I haven't changed the prices on my stuff in the shop since I haven't sold much in the past year from there, most of it is selling on ebay

Man, I can't remember, if I did raise the price on the Atom box it would have been over 1 year ago.
I did raise the price on the Galient box as I saw one missing the kit on YJ for 225 or around that, and I figure with shipping you can't get it

Lol, I sent an offer on eBay. I would have on here to avoid eBay fees, but I didn't see it listed here. ;)

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2018, 04:14 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

rein-o wrote:

I’m scared to offer anything like half off because you already have a thread specifically condemning that sort of thing. I really don’t care about +/- %10 or whatever so I rarely offer anything. People seem to want %80 minimum of what they are asking so why don’t they just lower the price to the least they will take and be done with it?

I guess when I sell stuff I usually just want rid of it so I don’t even care much about the money, but then I rarely sell anything. I’ve got all sorts of crap around here people can just strait up take if they want it but it’s not worth the work to list it.

Anyway, I may send you some offer soon. Its been a while.

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2018, 04:15 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Yeah some stuff I haven't posted here as its selling on ebay.
Tell me which title and I'll see if we can work something.

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2018, 04:24 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

rein-o wrote:
Yeah some stuff I haven't posted here as its selling on ebay.
Tell me which title and I'll see if we can work something.

You accepted and I went ahead and paid for it already. Looking forward to watching it. Incident At Blood Pass. Do you have any of the other Animeigo Samurai line? Might be interested.

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2018, 04:26 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

LOL Figured it was you.
That's it, the only others I had were the 3 lone wolfs that just sold.
Next time we can do it here, I'll list it in the shop and then we can get Julien the money rather than cheapbay LOL

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2018, 04:28 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Sounds good. Always nice to order from someone that understands LD. One of the last discs I bought off eBay arrived cracked due to inadequate packaging. Not a particularly valuable release, but sad to see it destroyed in such a way.

I have the Criterion BD set for Lone Wolf and Cub. Fun flicks.

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2018, 05:30 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

I always felt the first 3 were the best, I did own at one time all 6 on LD but sold the first 3 over the last few weeks. Sold the others years ago.

I read somewhere recently that the first 3 were by one director and then the last 3 were others??
Its one of those films that we would talk about back in the day at comic stores when the comics were re-printed in the USA.
Only ever saw the Shogun Assassin on VHS back in the day.

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2018, 06:03 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Correct. Misumi directed the first three. He actually died shortly after in 1975.

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2018, 17:48 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

That was it.
Anyway love these Samurai films, you'll have to do a review of this one when you get it.
I don't have a main LD setup yet in the living room, still plastering, may be plastering for another 6 months in that room.
But I do have a player connected in my work room so I can spin up, not as much as I want to but oh well.

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2018, 18:40 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

rein-o, you'll be interested to learn this: I noticed that 40 users on Discogs have Paramount 12975, Tommy Johnson's "Sliding Delta"/"I Wonder to Myself" on their wantlists. There's only one surviving copy.

Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next