It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 05:48

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Issue with NTSC discs on Philips LDP-600WS
PostPosted: 19 Aug 2016, 10:37 
Third post and above
Third post and above

Hey everyone!

I'm seeking help!
I've started my LD collection few ago without having a LD player because it wasn't the most important thing to get first.
Last week, I've found a player, a Philips LDP-600WS in really good cosmetic condition and at a really really good price.

I've received the player yesterday but unfortunately I have issues with it... I have 2 flat screen TV, one Samsung and one LG, I've tried scarf and RCA/Video, unfortunately, every time I tried to read an NTSC disc I got some lines of every colors on the main screen of the player and when playing the movie it's almost like a black & white movie with some part of the image flashing in different colors.

I only have one PAL LD even though I'm in France, and the PAL disc works perfectly. There's a sound issue (that I don't have on NTSC discs) but the disc isn't in really good shape, but the image is "normal".

So I'm lost, this is my first LD player, is it defective ? Am I missing something ?

I know that back in the days in Europe our televisions were not made to display NTSC content but I think (and correct me if I'm wrong) that it's not an issue with the tv we have nowadays.

Thank you for your help!

-Eban

Post subject: Re: Issue with NTSC discs on Philips LDP-600WS
PostPosted: 20 Aug 2016, 00:32 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

The European members need to speak up but new formats don't matter as they are in a component format and outputs component or digital HDMI which are formats hat don't require the colour decoding like PAL and NTSC. Your TV needs to be able to handle a NTSC video input just like before with LD unless you put a processor between the LD player and TV that provides properly decoded component or digital video outputs.

PostPosted: 20 Aug 2016, 01:53 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

In general almost anything after 1990 is multi-standard. Modern LCD screens definitely support NTSC. In my experience, NTSC just shows up as black and white video if the TV doesn't support it. Only TVs I've found to not support NTSC are really old ones from the early 80s or older.

Does the player have a physical switch on the back to select between PAL and NTSC? I know some VTRs had that in the good old days.

PostPosted: 20 Aug 2016, 10:54 
Third post and above
Third post and above

samaron wrote:
In general almost anything after 1990 is multi-standard. Modern LCD screens definitely support NTSC. In my experience, NTSC just shows up as black and white video if the TV doesn't support it. Only TVs I've found to not support NTSC are really old ones from the early 80s or older.

Does the player have a physical switch on the back to select between PAL and NTSC? I know some VTRs had that in the good old days.

Thank you for your reply Samaron.

Unfortunately no switch or anything on the unit.
I exposed my issue to a LD seller here in France who used to have a store and he told me that the converted NTSC signal on this model was really bad handled by current gen television. He advised me to buy an old plasma or another LD player.

I've tried everything...Even through my a/v receiver etc... I guess I should have kept my money for a more recent model. This one is from 1992 and ironically I never had any chance with audio/video products from Philips :eh:

Anyway, thx for taking the time to reply :)

-Eban

PostPosted: 20 Aug 2016, 11:06 
Third post and above
Third post and above

krbahr wrote:
The European members need to speak up but new formats don't matter as they are in a component format and outputs component or digital HDMI which are formats hat don't require the colour decoding like PAL and NTSC. Your TV needs to be able to handle a NTSC video input just like before with LD unless you put a processor between the LD player and TV that provides properly decoded component or digital video outputs.

Hey!

Thank you for your reply :)

As you can say, new formats don't matter now, meaning my Samsung or LG tv are made on the same standards than any flat screen from the same brand (except for the voltage). If my screen was the main issue, meaning displaying NTSC signal, anybody would have the issue with any LD player. But apparently this player doesn't do great with modern tv according to a french LD seller who I exposed my problem to.
So I guess i have to invest in a more recent LD player :/

-Eban

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]