It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 07:37

Page 1 of 1 [ 19 posts ] 
 Post subject: Error U1 and F5 Pioneer CLD-D790
PostPosted: 17 Apr 2017, 14:38 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

Hello fellow LaserDisc appreciators! I found this player by accident. While I was throwing out the trash, I saw this thing sitting there by the dumpster.
After watching techmoan's video about LaserDisc I could not let this thing pass me by, so I grabbed it shamelessly and brought it home.
Actually, if it wasn't for his video I would've thought that it was just an old hi-fi cd player and left it there.
Anyway, once home, the first thing I did was try to play music cds on it, that gave me the U1 error.
So, naturally, I went on ebay and bought some cheap LD movies to do some further testing. :D
When those discs arrived, and I tried playing them, the U1 error returned once again.
I then remembered: back when I had a PSX, and it was starting to have trouble reading discs, putting it in a vertical stance magically made it read discs again.
So, I attempted to repeat this trick with my newly acquired Pioneer LD. And what do you know? It actually worked! :shock: :clap:
It seems to me that the mechanism needs maintenance, as any attempt to play a disc (in normal horizontal mode) results in a U1 error.

So, to sum it up. U1 occurs when inserting a disc while the player is standing horizontally. F5 occurs when the player is attempting to switch disc sides from A to B.

TL;DR Now, on to my questions:
1 How do I go about maintaining the mechanism? Is there any tutorials with photos or videos? Any tips, suggestions, advice?
2 Oh and, somewhat related, will the remote control from the european version of this player work with it (CU-CLD115 for CLD-D925)? And what is the best place to get these original remotes?
I have a Logitech Harmony 600 and it works fine as a replacement but it lacks a lot of features of the original remote.
3 And, last but not least, how do you activate the Closed Captions?

PS. Here's a quick demo of how I watch movies on this thing.
*TRIGGERWARNING Warning to collectors and other anal people DO NOT WATCH* :lol:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90_T9zM1ZWk

http://www.laserdiscarchive.co.uk/laser ... dd-790.htm (Pioneer CLD-D925 is it's European twin brother.)
http://igelect.co.uk/perrcds.html

Last edited by laserdong on 17 Apr 2017, 18:47, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Error U1 and F5 Pioneer CLD-D790
PostPosted: 17 Apr 2017, 14:54 
Site Admin
Site Admin

laserdong wrote:
I then remembered: back when I had a PSX, and it was starting to have trouble reading discs, putting it in a vertical stance magically made it read discs again.
So, I attempted to repeat this trick with my newly acquired Pioneer LD. And what do you know? It actually worked! :shock: :clap:

That's funny!

I did exactly the same thing *years* ago when I was a student in Japan and found a LD player in the trash (can't remember which model but it was pretty basic). Couldn't read LDs (actually would damage them by spinning up and then... release the clamp and have it bang inside the player at high speed) and couldn't play CDs either but didn't let go of the clamp.

Same PlayStation side playing trick and, at least, I could play CD for music on 2 small speakers, better than nothing.

I eventually dumped the player again when moving out of the dormitory 6 months later.

Julien

PostPosted: 17 Apr 2017, 15:12 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

Nice to know I'm not the only savage here, attempting to play discs in such a way :p

However, Im certainly going to fix this puppy up. One way or the other, I'm certainly not going to dump it. :angel: Especially since it isn't anything seriously wrong with it.

PostPosted: 17 Apr 2017, 21:47 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

replace the load belt with a SCQ3.6 and your have a good find.

PostPosted: 18 Apr 2017, 15:37 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

krbahr wrote:
Thanks a lot! But, are you sure? Just so I don't buy something it turns out I don't need. :angel:
Also, can you answer my two other questions?
2 will the remote control from the european version of this player work with it (CU-CLD115 for CLD-D925)?
and
3 How do you turn on closed captions when watching a movie?

PostPosted: 18 Apr 2017, 17:29 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

laserdong wrote:
krbahr wrote:
Thanks a lot! But, are you sure? Just so I don't buy something it turns out I don't need. :angel:
2 will the remote control from the european version of this player work with it (CU-CLD115 for CLD-D925)?
and

Oh Geez, you ask for free advice, one of the techs answers you and then you are questioning if he is right :crazy:

You got the player for free, spend the 20 bucks on the belt and try it, at worse you will need to replace it anyway.

Why don't you offer to pay him for his advice for the other questions since nobody else answered :thumbup:

PostPosted: 18 Apr 2017, 17:48 
Site Admin
Site Admin

laserdong wrote:
How do you turn on closed captions when watching a movie?

You buy a closed captions decoding module and hook it up between the player and the screen :D

Julien

PostPosted: 18 Apr 2017, 18:44 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

rein-o wrote:
Oh Geez, you ask for free advice, one of the techs answers you and then you are questioning if he is right :crazy:

You got the player for free, spend the 20 bucks on the belt and try it, at worse you will need to replace it anyway.

Why don't you offer to pay him for his advice for the other questions since nobody else answered :thumbup:
Hey, bro. As far as I can tell this is a forum. Not a repair shop. Hence, I'm asking for free advice.
Furthermore, how do I know he's a tech? Did I miss the part where he introduced himself as such? Hypothetical question. :clap:
Don't take this the wrong way, you're just being the synonym of donkey and I take the liberty to point it out. It's all good, buddy :thumbup: :wave:

admin wrote:
You buy a closed captions decoding module and hook it up between the player and the screen :D

Julien
Oh, I see. I was under the impression that the module was built in on most players starting with the 1990s.

PostPosted: 18 Apr 2017, 19:05 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Its OK Laserding, enjoy the player.

PostPosted: 18 Apr 2017, 19:12 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

rein-o wrote:
Its OK Laserding, enjoy the player.
Good job. That's very clever how you changed a letter in my username. You're a funny guy, huh? :D Take care, friend

PostPosted: 19 Apr 2017, 01:31 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

laserdong wrote:
krbahr wrote:
and

The remotes are not country specific so they will work

As stated above if the disc actually has closed captions you have to find a separate decoder to get that, not in the players

PostPosted: 19 Apr 2017, 15:16 
tjenare

tjaffs-snubben med hunden i sin avatar är en riktig forumsopa!
han är spydig och jävligt jobbig när han av jävelskap skriver arroganta inlägg.

du gör bäst i att inte svara på hans inlägg.
jag har tjaffsat med honom flera gånger i mina trådar när han svarar med tykna inlägg och jag pissade tillslut på honom inför alla här på forumet för att jag blev jävligt lack på honom!

det är många som hatar honom ska du veta.

be kuksugarn dra åt helvete nästa gång!

PostPosted: 19 Apr 2017, 15:26 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

joey-buttafuoco wrote:
tjenare

tjaffs-snubben med hunden i sin avatar är en riktig forumsopa!
han är spydig och jävligt jobbig när han av jävelskap skriver arroganta inlägg.

du gör bäst i att inte svara på hans inlägg.
jag har tjaffsat med honom flera gånger i mina trådar när han svarar med tykna inlägg och jag pissade tillslut på honom inför alla här på forumet för att jag blev jävligt lack på honom!

det är många som hatar honom ska du veta.

be kuksugarn dra åt helvete nästa gång!

Why would you say that Carlos??

But I thinkIi realize the issue, its a language barrier from Sweden to the USA.
People just don't get it and take it too seriously.

Carlos, if you are ever in the USA we can get together, go for ice-cream and I'll wipe your chin.

And I don't have to go to hell as you posted, neither do you.

PostPosted: 19 Apr 2017, 19:49 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

You don't know kurtis, that means you didn't even do a google search to find a fix for your problem online. Open an account here and ask your question away to save you time from reading over countless how to fix threads. Now you got lucky, the best of us gave you the answer/fix for your issue for free. You are only out a few minutes of your time creating this post but now you have to spend $20 for the part? I get your frustration brother!

PostPosted: 19 Apr 2017, 23:11 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

krbahr wrote:
The remotes are not country specific so they will work

As stated above if the disc actually has closed captions you have to find a separate decoder to get that, not in the players
Thanks a lot for your help. It's sincerely appreciated. :thumbup:

---------------------------------------------------------------------

I appreicate all of your priceless personal time. Especially substance's and rein-o's. Really, thanks.
But, let's not turn this into a flame war and derail this thread any more than it already has been.
This thread is not about my or anyone else's personal qualities.
Read the topic and op once again in case you need to remind yourself of what this thread is about.
I will gladly discuss my own, and anyone else's, person in PM or in a dedicated flame thread (if you have one those here), but this is not the place for that.
Cheers :wave:

PostPosted: 20 Apr 2017, 18:01 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Hi laserdong,

Sorry but friends own a chain of 'adult stores' here in Perth. Your profile name conjures strange images......

You'll find that the lddb forums are an invaluable source of information; almost every question has been asked here at least once so arm yourself with an appetite to learn and some help from google as well as the sites own search and here you'll find most of the answers to most of your questions. If not then ask and someone may know!!

We all get a little frustrated sometimes (me totally included) when a question that has been asked 1000 times is asked for the 1001th! Unfortunately in general I think the world has forgotten to take the time to research and learn, and just wants FB style instant gratification with little or no effort, but I also think those of us frustrated by it could exercise a little patience and at least point the newbies in the right direction if not spoon-feed them. At least you did enough research to realise the CLD-925 link and find the error code info you did - more than some and Perhaps why Kurtis responded in the first place (if that's not too presumptuous of me to say).

Kurtis (krbhar) is a well respected member, very knowledgeable in the servicing and repair of LD players; there are few left willing to help out like him so let's all treat them with respect! With my limited understanding his suggestion is a common fix for this problem. Perhaps it's not the only thing wrong in your case but it's a good and relatively inexpensive place to start.

All the best with the player :)

PostPosted: 20 Apr 2017, 20:23 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

audioboyz1973 wrote:
Hi laserdong,

Sorry but friends own a chain of 'adult stores' here in Perth. Your profile name conjures strange images......

You'll find that the lddb forums are an invaluable source of information; almost every question has been asked here at least once so arm yourself with an appetite to learn and some help from google as well as the sites own search and here you'll find most of the answers to most of your questions. If not then ask and someone may know!!

We all get a little frustrated sometimes (me totally included) when a question that has been asked 1000 times is asked for the 1001th! Unfortunately in general I think the world has forgotten to take the time to research and learn, and just wants FB style instant gratification with little or no effort, but I also think those of us frustrated by it could exercise a little patience and at least point the newbies in the right direction if not spoon-feed them. At least you did enough research to realise the CLD-925 link and find the error code info you did - more than some and Perhaps why Kurtis responded in the first place (if that's not too presumptuous of me to say).

Kurtis (krbhar) is a well respected member, very knowledgeable in the servicing and repair of LD players; there are few left willing to help out like him so let's all treat them with respect! With my limited understanding his suggestion is a common fix for this problem. Perhaps it's not the only thing wrong in your case but it's a good and relatively inexpensive place to start.

All the best with the player :)
Hi! I'm pretty sufficient in the arts of googling and forum search. The reason I made a thread was to be as sure as possible by hearing from someone knowledgeable. That's just a habit I have before I enter unknown territory: I ask for advice of past travellers :) The reason for this habit is a few failed "on-my-own" experiments :D

PostPosted: 21 Apr 2017, 00:38 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to being all good as I try to be here.
Good luck with the player, keep us posted when you get the belt, its also as posted above one of the best places to start.

I had an old CED player, belts and everything looked fine but it wouldn't play, so I took the risk and bought the belts, as soon as they were put on BOOM it worked.

Again enjoy LD it is fun and nice but you have to have your reasons to keep it up.

PostPosted: 26 Apr 2017, 15:04 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

rein-o wrote:
Back to being all good as I try to be here.
Good luck with the player, keep us posted when you get the belt, its also as posted above one of the best places to start.

I had an old CED player, belts and everything looked fine but it wouldn't play, so I took the risk and bought the belts, as soon as they were put on BOOM it worked.

Again enjoy LD it is fun and nice but you have to have your reasons to keep it up.
I've contacted Pioneer Sweden about this, to see if they have any oem spares. I know there are several on ebay right now and there are north american electronics shops that offer the belt online.
But, I want to hear with Pioneer first (I'm in no hurry) and if that doesn't work out I'll probably order one from ebay. Thanks for the reply :)

Page 1 of 1 [ 19 posts ]