It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 11:43

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 
 Post subject: What does BGV mean?
PostPosted: 15 Jul 2018, 20:32 
Honest fan
Honest fan

I noticed in my player that there is this option called BGV. When I turn this option on it feels like it does nothing.

The only thing that it seems to do it when you put an NTSC disc inside and the player is on normal mode the disc will spin a little bit faster until the player spits it back. (The player can only play NTSC discs on karaoke mode.)

Does anyone have any ideas on what it is?

Last edited by retrolaservision on 15 Jul 2018, 23:51, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: What does BGV mean?
PostPosted: 15 Jul 2018, 21:01 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

So when I do a google search it comes up on the 4th listing on the first page.

BGV music.

Last edited by rein-o on 16 Jul 2018, 14:52, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 15 Jul 2018, 21:43 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

What player is it?

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 15 Jul 2018, 23:52 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Pioneer LD-V200

PostPosted: 16 Jul 2018, 04:41 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Attachment:
BGV.jpg
BGV.jpg [ 39.29 KiB | Viewed 3742 times ]

In Japan, BGV usually means "BackGround Video" and is a special kind of documentary with no narration, just music.

Currently listed as BGV on LDDb: https://www.lddb.com/search.php?adv_search=*&adv_reference=&category=40 (641 hits)

Since it's a Karaoke player, it's possible that they added a mode where, when playing a regular stereo soundtrack, they try to remove the vocals (usually mixed identically on both Left and Right) in order to keep only the music?

Or maybe it gives you the option to freeze the picture on screen while keep playing the soundtrack?

Julien

PostPosted: 16 Jul 2018, 13:19 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

admin wrote:
Or maybe it gives you the option to freeze the picture on screen while keep playing the soundtrack?

That would probably require a digital frame buffer which is way after this player.

Or was there an analog way to store picture like that?

PostPosted: 16 Jul 2018, 18:51 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I'm wondering if it is a special code the player recognizes. BMB had a player, LV-M2 which specifically listed it was a "BGV player." The LD Review magazine produced quarterly in Japan had an entire section dedicated to BGV.

And what is DEW?

PostPosted: 16 Jul 2018, 21:27 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Yeah, DEW is a bigger mystery.

BGV does indeed mean Background Video, at least in Japan, but how that translates to a button is unknown to me. There is a Sony player with two separate drives, one CD only, that is designed that way for BGV reasons.

I think we need to see the back panel.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 16 Jul 2018, 23:35 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I found this repair video of the model which does show the back panel connectors.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LINmV6ZZ-qI

Seems like bog standard analog connectors, component and stereo. The only thing unusual there is a coin box connector - presumably for use in public establishments where you'd want to charge people for use.

Not much of a clue there.

PostPosted: 23 Jul 2018, 10:25 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

BGV for a Karaoke LD player or a Karaoke mixer/input selector is exactly what everyone has been saying - Background Video.

However, how it actually works from what I have seen is that it acts like a music filler between singing acts. For example, the BGV would be running at all times in the Karaoke bar and then someone decides to get up on stage to sing their song. As the system is about to cue up the song to be sung, the BGV is instantly muted so that song takes over. As the singer completes his/her performance and the song comes to an end, the BGV kicks in again to provide continuous music as we await the next performer. There should be no button to activate this feature as it’s always automatic but there will be an LED indicator to show if it’s active or not.

So for this particular player, there may be a set of video/audio inputs (or audio only inputs) to plug in an additional LD (CD) player for the BGV or BGM pass thru (may even have a knob on the back to set the volume level of the BGV as it should not be controllable by the main volume control).

As for the DEW light, this is a very common indicator especially for older VCR’s. It’s a sensor that looks for moisture in the unit and if it senses just that it will not allow the unit to operate until it has disappeared (usually caused by a tape that has been brought in from the cold). This feature seems odd in an LD player because I don’t recall seeing them have issues like this (but I don’t live in a particularly cold environment to test that out). Anyway, chances of that light ever coming on would be rare. I still have my 1987 Mitsubishi VCR that does have a dew indicator and it has never flipped on in all its years of operation.

PostPosted: 23 Jul 2018, 16:48 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

ldfan wrote:
As for the DEW light, this is a very common indicator especially for older VCR’s. It’s a sensor that looks for moisture in the unit and if it senses just that it will not allow the unit to operate until it has disappeared (usually caused by a tape that has been brought in from the cold). This feature seems odd in an LD player because I don’t recall seeing them have issues like this (but I don’t live in a particularly cold environment to test that out). Anyway, chances of that light ever coming on would be rare. I still have my 1987 Mitsubishi VCR that does have a dew indicator and it has never flipped on in all its years of operation.

OK, this makes some sense. I have seen condensation warnings on car CD players to be aware of "warm" CDs being inserted into a cold CD player causing playback issues. Extending this to Karaoke which could be part of a travelling "kit" either the discs or player could be cold due to travel. But like LDFan says, rarely ever occurs.

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ]