It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 15:39

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: [LD-700] Not functional
PostPosted: 15 Feb 2015, 02:25 
Third post and above
Third post and above

Hello, new to the forum so I apologize in advance for any newbie gaffes. I had a Pioneer LD-700 player that I thought was gone. Recently found the player and was eager to play some LD's. However, I was anxious since it had been many, many years since the last time the player was used. Unfortunately, the player did not work. The tray opens and accepts LD's. When the play button is pressed, the green light flashes and then stops. I removed the cover and observed the following: Power button is depressed and motor spins clockwise for a few revolutions. After the play button is pressed, the disc does not spin, the laser lens assembly (please excuse my lack of knowledge for the correct terminology) moves from the home position near the center of the disc to the outer edge of the disc. The laser lens moves up and down a few times. Then the laser lens assembly moves back to the home position. Does anyone know what the issue is and is it easily fixed?

Emailed a laserdisc repair service but did not receive a reply. I was very fortunate to find this forum. Would anyone know of another repair shop or would you recommend buying a player from an online source? If so, could you recommend a player?

Thanks for all of your anticipated assistance. I'm really excited to watch some LD's again.

Post subject: Re: Pioneer LD-700 not functional
PostPosted: 16 Feb 2015, 02:34 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

All I can recommend is clean the laser lens and the tilt sensor beside it. If that doesn't work, it will be cheaper to buy a replacement. Laserdisc service, Grasshopper, or myself are the three that sell refurbished players and guarantee operation.

PostPosted: 16 Feb 2015, 03:16 
True fan
True fan

Is your LD-700 the Silver or Black edition? Pioneer first released these in silver and did some changes.. Pioneer did add a TRAP DOOR on the top Lid (Bonnet) for cleaning the LASER Lens!!!!

Pioneer also had the Laserdisc spin during focus-Lock then deleted that quickly.

Keep in mind it plays no Digital Sound on Laserdisc!!!

I have a near new one complete for My-Collection Only, as its a piece of LD History as it was the first Solid State Laser in a LD player!!! :thumbup:

I would follow Kurtis on his advice and score a nice working LD Player.

\../

PostPosted: 16 Feb 2015, 20:11 
Third post and above
Third post and above

Thanks. I will try cleaning the lens and I will let you know. My fingers are crossed. If that does not work, I would be very interested in acquiring a "new" player. Scratch that. I would be interested regardless so I can "upgrade".

My player is a silver LD-700. Although I am not a videophile, I remember seeing one at a video store and had to get one. Now, I regret not upgrading but it worked great for many years before my player went missing.

Thanks for your responses.

PostPosted: 16 Feb 2015, 22:25 
Third post and above
Third post and above

Cleaning both lenses did not work. :(

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2015, 02:37 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

I'd suggest replacing it. I don't have any parts for the older player prior to the CLD series. If you want something like a CLD-D704 or a Pioneer Elite player I can help.

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2015, 03:57 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Unless the PQ was amazing (is it? i've seen arguments for the gas tube players, but not these...) I don't see the point of fixing a broken LD700/CLD900/etc, especially if krbahr and grasshopper aren't up for it.

PostPosted: 04 Dec 2017, 01:45 
Just recently acquired this version(the black one) via my dad's storage unit. Are there any videos that show how to do this. Or would it be better to just get a different model. I have a lot of movies so I don't want it to go to waste.

PostPosted: 04 Dec 2017, 02:42 
True fan
True fan

I have an LD-V6000 which is the industrial version of this player.

Honestly I don't think these players are worth putting any time into, much simpler to get another one and anything else would be a step up. they are more basic then anyone would want, the sound is terrible, if you don't have the remote you can't do anything, even if you do you can't do much. I don't know if the 700 version has more features but I doubt it.

Seriously anything other player is better, the only reason I still have mine is it was my first player so there is some sentimental value, also they do look really cool.

Post subject: Re: [LD-700] Not functional
PostPosted: 21 Mar 2018, 13:30 
First post
First post

There is also (at least) one more reason to keep these old LD-700/LD-7000 players alive than just a historical remark for the first solid-state player. They are essential part at least with the MSX-based home computer system running also LD games.

Before the RS-232 connection became as "standard" with the industrial grade players (which were then widely used with the LD coin op games) there were few special solutions for having IO-ports for communications between player and other hardware. Pioneer had this DIN-type of IO-port in LD-700/7000 -series (and couple of models based on this model, afaik all with the same internal old design hardware?):

http://images.generation-msx.nl/hardware/8782a021.jpg

As far as I know the signalization in this port is way different from RS-232 so it's not possible to attach MSX computer directly to newer player with RS-232 port. For by-passing the problem of old(est solid state) rotting players I don't know if it would be possible to do for example an Arduino-project for converting signals from computer to LD-player and ack-line back to computer...

AFAIK: The signalization in this IO-port is very similar to the remote controller signals (which were kept similar at least up to mid 90's). Basically it should be possible to control the LD-player only by converting the computer output to IR-signal, BUT how to achieve the ACK-signal from player to computer (maybe it's internally still there in newer models?)... This ACK-signal is needed afaik for only one function: that the computer gets knowledge from playback when the certain frame in disc is reached and the loaded computer program needs to be (re)started. If this signal is missing, the player just will continue playing disc and computer waits forever for the signal.

Meanwhile keeping these old players working is only solution for keeping those games in play...

Sidenote: The MSX-system is supposedly working with also older laser-tube player. LD-1000, if I recall correctly. According to documents there should be the same port available, but I haven't seen LD-1000 equipped with this port...

BTW: did you know that at least from the silver model there was a special multi-voltage model also released. I have one of these. It has a dial in back panel for selecting the used input voltage. Interesting enough, this model had still a fixed Japan/USA-type power plug. I really would be interested in having this model player...

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ]