It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 09:40

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Pioneer PR-8020 / PR-7820 laser & optics carriage
PostPosted: 12 Jun 2017, 08:20 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

Hi, I picked up a Pioneer PR-8020, which from what I can tell is just the Japan market version of the PR-7820.

I repaired the spindle grommet with a flanged washer from the plumbing department at Home Depot.

However, the player doesn't play discs it just clicks trying to focus the laser(I think). I pulled the cover off and it appears someone was adjusting the optics at some point. Is there any way to get this back in alignment?

Otherwise, I am interested to buy a working laser with optical carriage to replace mine. Maybe someone has a player with cosmetic damage?

Thanks!

Jon

Post subject: Re: Pioneer PR-8020 / PR-7820 laser & optics carriage
PostPosted: 12 Jun 2017, 16:18 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

There is an interlock bar that blocks the beam when the cover is open. If you override the lock by pressing the plunger on the far left of the player, and then have the spindle move from "Park" the beam shutter will open. Sometimes the mechanics get gummed up and the beam shutter sticks, which would result in that clicking you hear.

Totally borked mirrors would cause it too, and from what I understand trying to realign that is a mother. I had one instance back in the 80s where a tech replaced the laser tube. But more often, the repair tech simply replaced the entire laser platform.

PostPosted: 12 Jun 2017, 20:35 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

Hi, thanks for the reply. The beam shutter does operate OK, I am pretty sure it is an alignment issue.

Also, I am using an appropriate 100V step down converter due to it being Japanese.

PostPosted: 12 Jun 2017, 21:17 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

I had a Pioneer branded PR-7820.
That thing was a beast, when I received it they didn't have the transit screw locking the spindle and I had to spend a day fixing it.

If it is the lasers you are SOL and if you didn't spend that much money I would just pop it open and try to adjust stuff but this is at your own risk.
Also worry about the laser blasting your eyes, these are the real deal and I don't believe regular sunglasses will do any help.
I thought the picture quality of my 7820 was fantastic but didn't have the space for such a huge beast.

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ]