It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 04:06

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Composite to HDMI converter: Could it work for LD?
PostPosted: 04 Aug 2017, 18:28 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Has anyone tried one of these:

Musou 3RCA Composite CVBS AV to HDMI Video Audio Converter Adapter Mini Box Support 1080P for TV/PC/PS3/Blue-Ray DVD,black ?

The above "box" converts composite video and audio to an HDMI output. The HDMI is then sent to your HDTV. I am considering one of these "boxes" for converting LD, CED and VCR composite A/V to HDMI to go into my HDTV. I was wondering how the PQ would be.
CED
934-54780150, 934.54810350, SJT-200, CED-1, 3-VIP1000, VIP201P

Post subject: Re: Composite to HDMI converter: Could it work for LD?
PostPosted: 05 Aug 2017, 00:21 
True fan
True fan

Never used one of those, but I have heard that those boxes will "stretch" everything into a 16:9 image.

Otherwise not sure how it would look, I have tried a few different scalers but never got satisfying results , nothing seems to work better then just going straight into my hdtv from composite.
(Not sure if thats an option for you)

PostPosted: 05 Aug 2017, 05:14 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I'd put my money on something like this doing a worse job than what's already built into the TV.

PostPosted: 05 Aug 2017, 13:10 
Third post and above
Third post and above

Piece of crap....don't bother...I bought one of these cheap converters last year...tried it once, threw it in a drawer never to be seen again. You're better off leaving the picture size as is, or playing with the zoom.

PostPosted: 05 Aug 2017, 14:53 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Thank you for your comments. Let me expand with some backstory:

I have a Sony STR-DA2ES AVR with 5 composite video/audio inputs as my active switcher. With the exception of video 3, I am using the remaining 4 composite video/audio inputs. This way, I can switch inputs on the AVR using the remote. The AVR's composite video output then goes to my Bravia HDTV. Video 1 on the AVR is used to switch composite video from an HD-DVD player, Sony MDP-600 LD player and numerous CED players (4). Video 2 accepts the output of an SDP-E800. The E800 has an CDP-D406 and an MDP-600 LD players for its signal sources. Video 3 is unused most of the time. The 4'th video is used for my DVD changer and the 5'th video is for my DirecTV receiver. As you can see, I have a fair number of composite video sources.

Now, I am considering the purchase of this AVR:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XKRWWSG/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER.

The DN1080 AVR has one composite video input for SAT/CATV and I plan on using its video 1 composite input for my SDP-E800 (maybe). This leaves my DVD changer and my CED players out in the cold. I thought that 2 composite/HDMI converters would allow me to use 2 of the HDMI inputs on the DN1080 AVR to convert composite video from my DVD changer and my CED players. My HD-DVD and my Sony Ultra-HD players can feed their HDMI signals directly into the DN1080.

From what the posts indicate, a composite/HDMI converter is not the way to go.

Are there any other types of converters that might work? If not, I may have to use the video 1 input on the DN1080 for all composite video sources which would make my life a bit more complicated. (I would need to use an A/V switcher to connect all the composite videos into the video 1 input on the DN1080). I have an A/V switcher that Sony made some years ago that I could use. It has 4 inputs to 1 output and turns on when a video signal is detected on any of its inputs. About 10 minutes after the video disappears the unit shuts off. Since the DN1080 has a composite monitor output, I can use the output to send only composite video to the HDTV.
CED
934-54780150, 934.54810350, SJT-200, CED-1, 3-VIP1000, VIP201P

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]