It is currently 18 Apr 2024, 07:28

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: CLD-3080 issues
PostPosted: 19 Aug 2017, 01:48 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

Hello,
I'm back. Not sure if this is the correct forum to post this in, but it seems the most fitting. If not, please move the thread to the appropriate location.

I recently picked up a CLD-3080 and it has some issues. The seller I purchased the unit from stated that the player was in working condition, but right off the bat I noticed two main problems: 1) The player won't play discs on the B side. Not a huge deal as I can flip the disc manually, but I would like to fix this problem. 2) On the first disc I played, I was getting horrible crosstalk. I figured I could fix this by adjusting the pots inside the unit. (I'm a professional engineer so this comes naturally to me). Oddly, by adjusting the pots I was able to correct the crosstalk, however now I have a new issue. I get some sort of "tracking" error. For whatever reason, the picture "jumps" at random, always a fixed distance from the top of the screen, leaving what looks like black and white static at the top of the display. This player doesn't seem to have tracking controls specific to each side of the disc like some other players I have seen on this forum. I was hoping this would be the case so I could at least get side B playback to function again.

I'm guessing that I'm going to need to do some sort of non-electrical, mechanical adjustment of the optics to fix the playback issues. Not looking forward to that.

There doesn't appear to be any obvious signs of sticking in the optics mechanisms. When operating side B playback, the disc spins up part way as if the disc is about to play and then suddenly stops.

I have the service manual for the player and can tell you that the adjustments to the pots correlate to the failure symptoms listed. If I adjust any of the pots too far out of position, the unit will fail to play any disc at all. At the moment, I don't have access to my oscilloscope to properly adjust the pots, but I suspect that's not the issue. I'm playing a movie just now and having no playback issues except for the occasional "tracking" issue I mentioned.

I'm looking for two things here:
1) Advice on what could be wrong with the player and what to look for to get it functioning again.
2) Contacts with anyone who provides service to refurbish the player back to "like new" condition.

Thanks for reading. :mrgreen:

Post subject: Re: CLD-3080 issues
PostPosted: 20 Aug 2017, 01:28 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

jeffl3001 wrote:
Hello,
I'm guessing that I'm going to need to do some sort of non-electrical, mechanical adjustment of the optics to fix the playback issues. Not looking forward to that.

This. Dig out that oscilloscope. Blindly adjusting pots never does any good for LD players.

PostPosted: 22 Aug 2017, 23:04 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

Next question then, does anyone know where I can pickup or borrow a test disc? I assume I'll have to scour eBay for one if one pops up.

PostPosted: 23 Aug 2017, 03:53 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

http://www.pacparts.com/part.cfm?part_n ... fg=Pioneer

PostPosted: 24 Aug 2017, 01:03 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

Says out of stock, do I just order one and wait? Can I assume they'll stock the discs at some point? Thanks. I'll give them a call tomorrow if I don't hear otherwise.

PostPosted: 25 Aug 2017, 04:11 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Yes, they will ship one once they receive it from Pioneer. If they cannot get it the website says "no longer available"

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]