It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 16:25

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: [LX-200] Not loading most discs. Help!
PostPosted: 22 Aug 2017, 01:35 
Honest fan
Honest fan

I notice my Panasonic LX-200PX has a very fast eject. About 30 centimeters/second. The tray ejects in 1 second. Most trays for most optical media are way slower. Is that way too fast for a laser disc player tray ejection? If it is, could it be possible that the laser disc is not seated right in the tray, and the spindle isn't catching?

The noises I hear are the tray closing. I don't know what he next noise is. I assume it's the spindle trying to catch. It registers all zeroes Then I hear that same noise again. Anortter of the same noise happens again

More than half the time on one particular LD, UFO Volume 1, instead of the same noise as previous time, a spinning motor starts slow and winds up faster. I assiume that the spining motor. Every time I hear THAT noise, it works. The disc is from the 80s and seems thicker than more modern discs

Someone says that's a weak laser, but I just want to make sure I'm hearing things right. If I don't hear the spin, I hear the same noise twice.

Is the ejector speed easier to fix than a ruined laser? Does it cost less, doesn't need any new part?

Post subject: Re: Diagnosing Panasonic LX-200PX not loading most discs. H
PostPosted: 16 Sep 2017, 19:23 
Honest fan
Honest fan

First of all are Panasonic LX-200PX machines SUPPOSED to eject that fast? (the laser tray opens in .9 seconds. That's 30-35 cm/s or 12-13 in/s .)

If it's NOT supposed to eject that fast, and if it's saying there is not disc in the machine with every disc except a 1998 disc, then I have a theory based on my noises.

I hear 2 noises which seem like the spindle raising and lowering. I assume for those discs it's trying to center the Laser Disc media, but because the loading tray is so fast, it knocks the hole a little off center, and the spindle doesn't catch, so it just pulls back the spindle and says on the panel "no disc".

On the one disc that does work, UFO Volume 1, I hear one of those noises (not 2 like previously) and then a different noise, sounds like a spinning noise, it starts slow and winds up and gets higher pitched. I assume on that one disc, it finds the center. And every time it makes that rotary noise, the laser picks up correctly, and my UFO Volume 1 gets played. And that disc is somewhat thicker, therefore more likely heavier, so it wouldn't get knocked around a much. And less movement means it stays closer to center, therefore the spindle catches WAY more often than a lighter disc.

It sounds like to me that the door is too fast and it's having trouble finding the center of the discs.

If it IS supposed to eject that fast (I doubt it but...) would the easiest cure be dialing down the ejector motor. If that works, does it go until it is stopped, or does it only go on for a certain time? If it's a certain time, the the tray will stop loading/unloading in the middle? If it's the case where it opens and closes until it is stopped, then speed doesn't matter and I just wait 2-3 extra seconds every time I switch discs. I'd spend more time typing up my digital move than loading a disc, let alone be able to watch it in real time, because i have poor internet which I hope to rectify by next month. What's an extra 5 seconds? I spend way more time trying to get my disc to load right.

Are the default ejector motors in Pansonic stuff, a generic dial-a-speed analog motor, or are there different models each fixed on one speed. (I know most people aren't supposed to look in there. I didn't. If I did, I could solve my problem myself. If it's unnaturally this fast, I suspect someone intentionally did that, and the easiest course would be speed up the existing motor, than install a new ejector motor.) If the motor is dial a speed and is a generic Panasonic track motor which does CD's, VHSs, and LDs, DVDs, and things I'm not thinking of, then they just have one motor and either a person or robot dials a speed to the factory standard for that type of device. If that's the case, all I pay is the repairman to reset to factory LD speed. All you need is knowledge, and a screwdriver. (I don't have enough of the knowledge, but I have enough casual experience and wisdom to know 30+ cm/s seems too fast for an optical disc. Most video games, DVDs, HD, DVDs, and Blu Rays take longer than a second to load and the disc is smaller.)

One laser disc repairman is trying to sell me on getting a new laser, instead of hearing what I notice and what seems wrong based on previous experience. I'm just trying to find out if Panasonic Ejector motors are a dial-a-speed motor. If so, a different electronics repairman has a $10 pro analysis fee, and that should be enough because they throw the first $10 of labor for free.

Just seeing if my amateur pre-diagnosis is correct, and seeing if it's just a simple turn of the screwdriver by an expert has a decent chance to fix it.

PostPosted: 16 Sep 2017, 19:41 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

I just love how you have this down to the . of a second.

Wish I could help you but not many parts or repairs of Pannis and Sonys out there as they finished their LD run sooner than Pioneer.

But I would love to see a video of this projectile tray, could you post one on youtube or something and send a link.

Hope someone can help you.

PostPosted: 26 Nov 2017, 12:54 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Here is the video link. The video was filmed in 3D, so you'll have to side-by-side-half the video to get the full effect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3FAnPNTwwI

PostPosted: 26 Nov 2017, 12:56 
Honest fan
Honest fan

I'm hoping a laser disc ejector, a VHS ejector, and a DVD ejector are the same basic part and have "dial a speed". If it does, $10 should fix it. It's currently in the shop. Will know diagnostics tomorrow.

PostPosted: 27 Nov 2017, 01:15 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

I'm no tech but it is sort of fast, not overly fast.
I would check on the bottom of the tray to see if something is broken and then take the top off to see what may be any issue.
But even if you fix the tray issue if it really is that bad you are still dealing with a non playing issue.
Good luck and thanks for the video.

PostPosted: 27 Nov 2017, 03:35 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Here's a video that brighter, more colorful, and just as important for clarity's sake, in 2D. Luckily it's easy to save 2D on a 3DS, it's getting it to save 3D that's tough:

https://youtu.be/Vf9IFAXFLF8

P.S. At first it would take 20 minute to upload a 1 minute video at my poor internet speed. But maybe I got a boost. It only took 4 minutes to upload a 4 minute video. Or maybe 400k is enough for 480i video.

PostPosted: 27 Nov 2017, 18:13 
Honest fan
Honest fan

I got a diagnosis on the laser disc player. Something in the ejector motor needed to be cleaned. The cost of repair is $19 after paying $10 for diagnostics and having the first $10 apply to the cost of parts and labor. Will pay in December.

PostPosted: 27 Nov 2017, 21:52 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

While I've heard the 200 is not a top end player, it sounds really great that it will only cost you a few bucks to get it fixed.

At this point any working player is a best player.
I really wonder if they are just going to blast the motor with compressed air, but again you have to take this at your own risk as you never know if something else will
mess up from it.

But for the 20 bucks I would just pay it and enjoy the player.

PostPosted: 20 Dec 2017, 17:46 
Honest fan
Honest fan

They never corrected the speed problem, but it did work for 2 playthroughs. Then it wouldn't track. The repair shop said they never touched the ejector.

Another reason I'm concerned about the speed is it makes a clunk when a laser disc is in there. One of my discs cracked. Luckily it's just UFO Volume 1, and not Star Wars "One Last Time" edition. I'm not putting another laser disc in there until they slow down the tray, and hopefully that fixes the "not catching on the spindle" issue.

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ]