It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 22:34

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 
 Post subject: CLD-3070 No digital audio or CD playback
PostPosted: 23 Aug 2017, 22:13 
True fan
True fan

I just found a CLD-3070 on craigslist, in testing it had a good picture and changed sides fine, and gave clear analog sound ... however I determined it will not play any digital audio tracks, I have tried multiple discs with good digital tracks, there is a quick distorted popping sound when the disc spins up, and at random points thereafter, otherwise nothing. I have tried through both the rca outs and the toslink , same result. It will not play CDs at all, which I might guess is the same issue, something in the digital circuit?

I'm not at all familiar with this player but I will study the service manual , any common culprits to look for on the digital board, or elsewhere?

Thanks in advance.

Post subject: Re: CLD-3070 No digital audio or CD playback
PostPosted: 23 Aug 2017, 23:59 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

You need to look at he RF level, try cleaning the laser lens to make sure you are getting a good read from the disc. what you are hearing could be the laser starting to go bad as the level threshold for digital audio working is higher than video and analog audio. So verify analog audio is working. The look at the RF level of the waveform going to the digital board. If good follow it and look for issues. Digital audio will completely go out and video and analog still work until the RF signal goes down to the analog threshold and then you start getting problems there.

PostPosted: 24 Aug 2017, 01:15 
True fan
True fan

Thanks Kurtis, I was afraid of something like this, I should say about the analog audio, when playing video standard, on the audio test tones in the 10khz-20khz range I was getting crackling breakup , I will try with my other player to see if its something else in my setup, but I suspect it may be this player with its other problems.

looking more like I to find a scope to work on these players...

PostPosted: 24 Aug 2017, 02:08 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Sad to hear, I've had a 3070 since my Father bought it new.
Yours must have been played really hard, I've run over 1500 different discs through it, CD playing and even multiple plays.
Get that scope, I've seen some really cheap on ebay.

PostPosted: 24 Aug 2017, 02:53 
True fan
True fan

Well I tried turning the RF gain all the way up, and that seemed to make no difference at all, and when I played the high pitched tones on my 704 they where crystal clear, so there is analog issues as well I think.

It's disappointing because the main reason I got this player was for its reliability, it has such a good reputation. :(

PostPosted: 24 Aug 2017, 04:30 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

It is a very reliable player, I do hope you can figure it out and get it running again easily.

PostPosted: 25 Aug 2017, 04:15 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

hate to say it but now you need an oscilloscope and check the actual RF level and you'll probably fine a capacitor in the signal line going bad and lowering the RF signal level. Since it affects both analog and digital audio you need to look between the RF signal split for analog or digital processing and the input amp where you can adjust the level.

PostPosted: 25 Aug 2017, 14:58 
True fan
True fan

I plan to get a scope, I am not sure out how to properly test rf level, I see what look like test pins B 1-4, also there is TP2 and TP 4 I think tracking err. In the sevice manual I wasn't able to find a diagram of FSTB board. turning vr10 rf gain CW seems to give no change. CCW after about 1/3 turn gave video dropout.

PostPosted: 25 Aug 2017, 21:23 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

If you are saying 1/3 turn down from max you are starting video dropouts then you are sounding more like that gain circuit or the pickup. About 1/4 to 1/3 CW from full CCW is where video should start to be good. You should see a step for adjusting the focus for the laser lens, having that a little out of focus will also lower your RF signal level.

PostPosted: 26 Aug 2017, 01:14 
True fan
True fan

I should clarify that the pot adjustment was made from what I think is factory position, it was plastic welded in position and difficult to free up, all pots are like this. In fact there was maybe 3/4 turn up to max (CW) However increasing did not show a change, I need to double check but I believe when turning back down CCW from original (welded) position, full dropout only happened when pot was near full CCW. so maybe this is a good sign?

PostPosted: 27 Aug 2017, 04:27 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

If what you are saying is true then the laser is fine.

PostPosted: 01 Sep 2017, 22:37 
True fan
True fan

checked the player today and it is now producing constant distortion on the digital channel, the analog channel is also giving more distortion as low as on the 1 khz tones and by 20 khz almost completely distorted , right channel is noticeably worse.

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2017, 22:46 
True fan
True fan

This player I think has grounding issues, when scope is hooked to RF signal the signal will deteriorate then come back when probe is removed. Also with ground clamp is attached to chassis the RF signal goes down. there is ac waveform showing in the chassis as well at all times.

PostPosted: 14 Sep 2017, 00:27 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Scope probes have capacitance with them and if you have a proper probe and the added capacitance is effecting it that much then you must have a capacitor going bad somewhere. The probe becomes a capacitor to ground so you want one that is around 13pf and properly terminated at the scope input. If the probe capacitance is too high it can pass some of the signal straight to ground.

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ]