It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 07:12

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: CLD-760 side changing problem
PostPosted: 04 Sep 2017, 18:45 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

hello everyone. i'm new to the forum. i have had a pioneer cld-a100 laseractive for a few years, so im not new to laserdiscs.

i recently picked up a cld-d760. it plays everything fine, it just doesnt want to change sides after side a is done. additionally, if you close the tray and press the side b button it wont flip and play either. what happens is the disc player seems to lock up and it wont take any input unless you physically unplug the player and plug it back in.

here's the strange part to me. if you open the tray and press the side b button, the tray will close and it will flip and play side b just fine.

i saw the video on youtube with the same problem, but he mentioned a broken plastic part holding the laser ribbon cable being the problem, but i dont see any broken plastic parts on the assembly or specifically that arm that holds the ribbon cable.

im pretty handy and can solder, so i feel like whatever the problem is, i can fix it. i just dont know what the problem is.

i saw in another forum there might be a disc clamp issue, but im not sure that is my problem.

thanks for any help

Post subject: Re: CLD-760 side changing problem
PostPosted: 04 Sep 2017, 19:52 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

I'm guessing you mean the CLD-D760, you are missing a digit from the model number. Usually this is a index reading error when the LD is installed. With newer players it is the LD slipping issue and spindle motor grip ring replacement. Yours is a model before this stated if it is the CLD-D760 but once in a while the older players can have this if the grip ring got something on it in the past. What is happening since it could not get a complete read of the index the player will default to side a only mode.

You need to open it and watch it.

PostPosted: 04 Sep 2017, 20:27 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

krbahr wrote:
I'm guessing you mean the CLD-D760, you are missing a digit from the model number. Usually this is a index reading error when the LD is installed. With newer players it is the LD slipping issue and spindle motor grip ring replacement. Yours is a model before this stated if it is the CLD-D760 but once in a while the older players can have this if the grip ring got something on it in the past. What is happening since it could not get a complete read of the index the player will default to side a only mode.

You need to open it and watch it.

you are correct, it is the CLD-D760. i have watched it many times. what happens is the laser flips over about 95% of the way and stops. there is a persistent whiny noise that i cant see where its coming from. then the player wont do anything until i unplug it.

like i said in my OP, if i just press the side b button with the tray open, it closes and flips over fine and plays. if i try to skip to the end of the first side (or just let it play to the end of the first side) it fails the way i described. if i close the tray and press the side b button, it fails about 75% of the time.

PostPosted: 05 Sep 2017, 04:40 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Just curious if when you just press close and then side b are you waiting for the player to completely finish the load process and return to rest state. I would look at voltages from the power supply as the largest load is the turn and there is also a time limit for side b but I'd guess the load on the power supply.

PostPosted: 05 Sep 2017, 05:00 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

krbahr wrote:
Just curious if when you just press close and then side b are you waiting for the player to completely finish the load process and return to rest state. I would look at voltages from the power supply as the largest load is the turn and there is also a time limit for side b but I'd guess the load on the power supply.

Yes... I'm always careful to wait for it finish all it's movements before I hit a button.

Another thing I notice this evening, if I hold up the left side of the player about 6 inches while it's flipping the laser it seems to work

Still possibly a power supply issue?

PostPosted: 05 Sep 2017, 21:56 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Try looking at some mechanical alignment issues going in and out of the turn mechanism

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]