It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 09:37

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: Pioneer CLD-3070 minor annoyances I'm looking to correct/fix
PostPosted: 14 Oct 2017, 22:00 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

Hey all,

I've been highly enjoying my Pioneer CLD-3070 over the past several months since we locally picked it up [it's our first Laserdisc player] however sometimes at complete RANDOM when the Alpha mechanism flips the laser to Side B of a Laserdisc, it decides it won't read/play and sometimes results in a 1 second then go back to 0 seconds infinite loop. I can hear the laser chirping trying to find the track while it does this. To stop this random event we'll usually have to skip a chapter for it to play the rest of Side B however if we go back to the 1st chapter of Side B it'll still refuse to play that particular chapter; opening then closing the tray will sometimes solve the issue.

What is causing this random event and how do I permanently fix it?

Also, when we open or close the tray from a cold power-on the player gives off this loud screeching sound while the tray is ejecting out or going back in. After a bit of movie watching this will stop, but will eventually return once the player has been off for a bit. We're assuming it's a lubrication issue and wondering if there is anything in particular I need to lubricate to get it to stop doing that horrible sound without requiring a dismantle of the unit. I'm aware of the timing marks requirement if fully dismantled which is why I'm hoping there is a way to do it without having to do that.

Thanks in advance for any info and/or advice regarding these minor(?) annoyances. 8-)

Post subject: Re: Pioneer CLD-3070 minor annoyances I'm looking to correct
PostPosted: 15 Oct 2017, 02:34 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

The 3070 is a unit known to need lubrication over time. If this unit has never been cleaned and re-liubticated that could be the problem. The unit usually has problems opening the front door to eject the tray. If the door is opening fine then I’d not worry about the tray opening/closing noise. I would made sure the rail that guide the laser assembly on side B is properly lubricated.

PostPosted: 15 Oct 2017, 03:17 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

krbahr wrote:
The 3070 is a unit known to need lubrication over time. If this unit has never been cleaned and re-liubticated that could be the problem. The unit usually has problems opening the front door to eject the tray. If the door is opening fine then I’d not worry about the tray opening/closing noise. I would made sure the rail that guide the laser assembly on side B is properly lubricated.

Thanks so much. Which rail(s) should be lubricated for the side B laser assembly? Should I lube the laser assembly gears and track as well?

PostPosted: 15 Oct 2017, 22:31 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

It’s a rail that helps hold the laser. One on the A side an$ one on the B side. Looks Like a round bar

PostPosted: 16 Oct 2017, 02:42 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

krbahr wrote:
It’s a rail that helps hold the laser. One on the A side an$ one on the B side. Looks Like a round bar

Thanks. Got it all relubed, they were completely dry. It helped a lot, still happens sometimes when it flips to Side B but nowhere near as often.

PostPosted: 16 Oct 2017, 04:52 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

It would be best to remove the old grease and then put new grease.

Also could this be a centering issue for side B??
Grasshopper fixed a 3070 for me and it had that along with other issues.
Keep that 3070 running, I think they are great as they are still working due to the age.

PostPosted: 16 Oct 2017, 15:52 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

chaniyth wrote:
krbahr wrote:

Thanks. Got it all relubed, they were completely dry. It helped a lot, still happens sometimes when it flips to Side B but nowhere near as often.

I agree with rein-o, if you are still having some issues with the side B rail clean the top rail and re-grease. Hopefully you are using a white silicon grease made for electronics.

PostPosted: 16 Oct 2017, 18:55 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

krbahr wrote:
chaniyth wrote:
krbahr wrote:

I agree with rein-o, if you are still having some issues with the side B rail clean the top rail and re-grease. Hopefully you are using a white silicon grease made for electronics.

I used Super Lube brand Synthetic Grease since it's safe for metal and plastics and it's generally praised amongst "retro" video game and electronic collectors. Should I get White Silicon Grease? I have Lucas brand White Lithium Grease if that's not good then can you recommend a good brand of White Silicon Grease? Thanks.

PostPosted: 17 Oct 2017, 04:16 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

As long as the grease does not create any friction. You want a grease that helps things slide easier

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ]