It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 12:56

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Anyone willing to convert some laserdiscs?
PostPosted: 19 Nov 2017, 19:39 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

Or does anyone know any good services? I use digitalfaq for VHS conversions, but I don't know any reputable LD ones. A cursory search online brings up a few results, but who knows what kind of players/comb filters they're using...

I rather pay someone to convert my laserdiscs because it's more cost effective than buying equipment and doing it myself. I sold my laserdisc player a few years ago and I currently only own a handful of laserdiscs. Not really planning on building a large collection, either.

No avisynth filtering or post-capture restoration is necessary (but if you can, even better). All I need is for someone with a good setup to provide lossless avi (SD, no scaling) and LPCM audio. I will cover the LD shipping costs as well.

Post subject: Re: Anyone willing to convert some laserdiscs?
PostPosted: 19 Nov 2017, 21:12 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

What do you even have that's worth "converting"? It would have to be something that hasn't gotten a commercial release on a later format, because otherwise the least someone is going to charge you for time & effort is going to be more than you'd pay for a new copy.

PostPosted: 19 Nov 2017, 22:34 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

I collect Asian films, and the films I'd like converted/transferred/captured/whatever jargon you prefer are films that were a) never released on DVD b) released on DVD in edited form c) released on DVD in horrible fullscreen versions d) only subtitled on LD or e) some combination of the above.

PostPosted: 21 Nov 2017, 05:03 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

thecatacomb wrote:
I collect Asian films, and the films I'd like converted/transferred/captured/whatever jargon you prefer are films that were a) never released on DVD b) released on DVD in edited form c) released on DVD in horrible fullscreen versions d) only subtitled on LD or e) some combination of the above.

Well according to the jargon of the day, making a copy of a film that is on DVD already in a different version would be called piracy and
is still illegal.
So you will have to find an internet buddy who you don't know and you just meet online and is willing to take on an illegal act.

PostPosted: 21 Nov 2017, 09:35 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

rein-o wrote:
Well according to the jargon of the day, making a copy of a film that is on DVD already in a different version would be called piracy and
is still illegal.
So you will have to find an internet buddy who you don't know and you just meet online and is willing to take on an illegal act.

Yeah, it's not like there's an entire community online dedicated to making a copy of a film that is on DVD already in a different version.

I'm sure if said site did exist, everyone would face legal hot water for their piracy, especially if the films are part of a multi-billion dollar worldwide franchise.

Unless of course 'the force is with them'.

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]