It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 14:52

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Issues when playing CAV discs (mostly Discovision so far)
PostPosted: 28 Jan 2018, 09:54 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

Hi,

I would like to know whether the following issues are normal when playing Discovision on my CLD-2950:
- Uneven background color on a fixed image or fadings. Lines remain constant but color slightly varies verticaly, giving the impression of a fixed, dark and very faint rainbow.
- I see constant spekles on the same screen portion (around the first 1/5). They are all the same size, looking like white dashes (black on ABBA).
- Some Discovision discs skip frames near the end of a side, giving the impression of a fast forward. Some lock on a frame until I use the job shuttle to jump to the next. On ABBA I get this trouble near the end of side 1 (chapter 5 of 6) and straight at the begining of side 2 (frame 550 or so).

The problems mostly happened on Discovision. My discs look clean. Some are flawless. Some have very light scratches which should hardly affect play.
I played An evening with Ray Charles [OPA-74-612]. Great video with fewer "top" spekles which disappear as far as the disc plays. No other problem.

I'll test more discs as time allows, but I mainly want to knwo whether the above problems are normal with my player, or if my player has a problem, or if I should use a specific player for Discovision and old CAV titles. Any info appreciated.

David

Post subject: Re: Issues when playing CAV discs (mostly Discovision so far
PostPosted: 28 Jan 2018, 16:20 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Welcome to the wonderful world of DiscoVision.
While there are some discs that play perfectly some do have issues, check out the blam web site on more info or do some google searching.
Enjoy collecting DiscoVision, I have a few discs and love them, some of my favorite discs.

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2018, 16:41 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

Thanks for pointing me to this site. I didn't notice the defect guide which clearly answers my question.
So either I try to find duplicates to form a working set, or I just sell them to clear the space.
I only want to keep good playing discs. I don't need a large Discovision collection, but only a few early releases as well as titles I like.
Will do further testing. Thanks !

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2018, 19:45 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

I've found you can get decent playback copies of almost any laserdisc (yes even Discovision) if you persevere and buy enough copies.
I only really collect the music titles but have been able to assemble near perfect copies of most of them - both in terms of covers and disc playback. En route I also amassed a pile of duffs from various sellers offloading their junk. The good playback copies are still something to really treasure these days.

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ]