It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 20:02

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: [CLD-59] Fix or buy another - Problems with Elite CLD-59
PostPosted: 04 Feb 2018, 21:55 
Third post and above
Third post and above

A few years ago, I purchased a used Pioneer Cld-59 from a local hi-fi shop. I paid $250 for it. It worked very well for a while, but now I cannot get it to play any LD’s.

Usually the issue is; the disc will begin to spin and be read. The player recognizes the disc as an LD, and the timer begins counting on the display, however the output only shows the players blue screen. The disc usually makes it 10-30 seconds before it stops spinning and the display reads LD 0 0:00. Trying to scan forward does not work. Every once in a while the machine will throw a P6 error.

When you try flipping sides, the laser makes it up the transport, but then throws an E code.

CDs still work.

I’ve tried cleaning the laser and the spindle grip and top ring, but no luck there. I don’t hear any slipping either. All the belts seem fine, and everything still seems well lubricated.
The shop I bought the player from does repairs, but I believe they require an $80 deposit first.

I’m not sure what the best course of action is. Is the player worth paying to get fixed? Any advice on my issue would be greatly appreciated.

Post subject: Re: Fix or buy another - Problems with Elite Cld-59
PostPosted: 05 Feb 2018, 16:47 
Third post and above
Third post and above

For anybody that may be interested, I uploaded a video of the symptoms.

https://youtu.be/5pNKUYXGDyY

I plan to keep this thread updated for anybody in the future having similar issues. I have been corrisponding with krbahr on the issue.

PostPosted: 05 Feb 2018, 21:06 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

I've had your video on loop to watch and listen to the players actions. I hear all the familiar sounds with the Pioneer that sounds appears to be normal expect can the board see what the state of the picture looks like on the tv?

Sounds like spindle motor is okay.
Not sure what the laser pick-up looks like with picture or sound?
The mechanism for the tray sounds normal its not jamming.
The mechanism for rotating the laser around to topside sounds like clicking clanging noise that shouldn't be there?
Has the player been kept well its not been dropped?

PostPosted: 05 Feb 2018, 22:05 
Third post and above
Third post and above

Thank you for the reply and the time for your diagnostics.

I will gladly upload a video when I’m home to show the state of the scree. It will say LASERDISC in the corner of the screen, but it only displays the blue screen. No sound or video unfortunately. CDs do still play fine, which seems common with player having LD problems.

I was assuming the clanging noise when the laser assembly reaches the top position was not normal. It sounds as though it’s trying to continue to move forward when it reaches the furthest position.

Kurtis believes it may be the laser motor holder, and is helping me locate the upgraded part.

I bought the player used from a local hi-fi shop. It was sitting in their basement in a stack of players.

It has sat on my shelf until recently otherwise, and has worked well with intermittent use over the past 3 years or so.

PostPosted: 05 Feb 2018, 23:16 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

The laser moves to the inside of the disc and moves outwards towards near the edge where the data information is stored. DVD could move to any position on the disc due to layering of the layers in-bedded beneath the protective plastic. CD always start from inside and play to the outside of the disc.

Still try with tv on.
Its LD player only so no DVD on it.
Wonder if anyone else can chime in?
What would happen if the video board was unplugged or the board that is the logic board then reconnected and tried again could that possible trick the player into thinking its okay again and play normally?

Also connect the optical cable to AVR see if any audio is able to pass though on the digital PCM.

PostPosted: 06 Feb 2018, 00:01 
Third post and above
Third post and above

Here is what happens on-screen.

https://youtu.be/dQ0Jo4ABVwY

I did have the player connected through coax (no optical out on this player), no sound there or through the analog outs.

PostPosted: 06 Feb 2018, 04:25 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

That appears to be a malfunction out of my hands some sort of maybe logic circuity switching not enabling the blue screen or black screen as it can switched to few colours, appears the disc time is playing but somehow its stuck in wrong logic mode as that blue screen usually switches off within few seconds of the disc starting up. Does the time display appear on the blue screen when using the remote display button or is it still showing it has "laserdisc play"?

There other players that may have same type parts used that if can buy cheap used maybe swap the video board and maybe that would get it sorted?

The video board will be located on right side of the player somewhere. Oh need to go to the manuals.
http://manuals.lddb.com/LD_Players/Pioneer/CLD/

CLD-59 I can't see it listed in the manuals or find the service manual to even know where the video board would be located but my guess it would be the topside or fitted to the side of player on the right side. The left side that PCB is the power supply board.

PostPosted: 06 Feb 2018, 17:52 
Third post and above
Third post and above

I sure hope it’s not the video board. Replacing that sounds a bit out of my abilities.

I am going to try replacing the laser motor holder, and see if that fixes any issues. I’ll be sure to keep this thread updated for those interested.

Thanks to everybody for their advice, I really appreciate it.

PostPosted: 11 Feb 2018, 01:14 
Third post and above
Third post and above

Just a quick update:

I received the motor holder from Kurtis today and was able to get it installed.
The old one was definitely broken. When changing sides on the player, it no longer makes the crashing/clicking sound.
Unfortunatly the main problem still persists.

Still very happy to have made some progress, and thankful for everybody’s help so far.

Will be looking at some players on Tuesday. Been fiending to spin some discs in my collection. And I’m not sure how long this may take to fix at this point. I know the 59 isn’t incredibly well regarded, and I figured it would be good to have a second player anyway. The proprietor of the shop I buy my gear from is a fellow LD enthusiast, and told me he’s going to bring me on of his spare “top-of-the-line” players for me to buy off him. Wish me luck on getting a nice upgrade to the 59!

I’m going to keep the project going on getting this fixed though, so I will continue to update this thread with any progress.

Post subject: Re: [CLD-59] Fix or buy another - Problems with Elite CLD-59
PostPosted: 21 May 2018, 13:25 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

Sorry to revive an old thread, but can I ask where you are sourcing these replacement parts?

Thanks!

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ]