It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 00:45

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Help me to identify this beauty (Thomson LVD-2000)
PostPosted: 04 Feb 2018, 22:29 
Third post and above
Third post and above

Hi all!
I've just put my hand on my third (!) LD player to repair, recently bought as not working. The player is in excellent cosmetic condition, unfortunately the remote is missing, the laser is a simple diode (phew, the HeNe tube of my Loewe is still waiting a full test) and is... auto-reverse!! =8-O

The first strange thing about this brand is that... you cannot find absolutely nothing about Thomson LD players on Google, nor here on lddb.
Most probably is a rebrand.

After unstucking the lid (I still have to regrease all the slids and gears) I've quickly spot the issue with this player: an excessive wear and radial freeplay on the spindle motor.
Even an audio CD was causing a strong noise when it reaches nominal RPM, like the fans of an old CPUs. Then well, exactly like an old CPUs, once tilting the player the CD was successfully recognized and played! So the optic is OK and the unit isn't a brick.
However the trick didn't worked with the bulkier mass of a laserdisc: the freeplay doesn't let the track to be locked.

After Googling the spindle motor code (VXM1046) searching for a spare part, I've luckily found an original part in Hungary for less than fifteen euros.
Well, from the spare part package now I know that the player is a Pioneer :)
And after some digging on youtube I think the Auto-Reverse mechanic is probably an Alpha Turn.

However, before powering up again the unit I would try to search for the service manual, hoping the unit is basically a simple rebrand of a Pioneer model. I'm sure I've messed up the references of the cams of the complex lid gears, that are responsible of the lowering of the optic group in sync with the lid closing (1 single motor for three different movements, with 3 levers+microswitches for part position tracking).

Can anyone help me to identify the Pioneer model hidden behind this european brand?

Thank you!
Luciano

Attachments:
WP_20180202_19_17_25_Pro.jpg
WP_20180202_19_17_25_Pro.jpg [ 144.41 KiB | Viewed 2013 times ]

Post subject: Re: Help me to identify this beauty (Thomson LVD-2000)
PostPosted: 04 Feb 2018, 22:37 
Third post and above
Third post and above

Whopps, attachment limit!
Here the set:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/cc3bFrRhU2Sb2EoB3

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2018, 01:36 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

It doesn't say if it's PAL or NTSC?

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2018, 02:20 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

I would think its PAL but you are right it doesn't state which.

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2018, 13:07 
Third post and above
Third post and above

Sure, sorry, it is a PAL model (Europe).

However I'm sure to have identified the base model!
Looking at this video of a RCA LDR-600 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lE2ut1jBOo) I was able to identify the internal pickup.
So I've bought the manual of the Pioneer CLD-2090 and.. that's it, the detailed description are matching closely.
The only missing part is the frontal knob (like the RCA). I'll do some test with a generic remote (unfortunately I don't have the original one) to control if the Pioneer remote works.

If so, it seems that Pioneer sold their CLD-2090 models to at least RCA and Thomson...

Thanks,
Luciano

PostPosted: 12 Feb 2018, 08:31 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

The PAL version of the 2090 was the 2600 (/2700?)

In true PAL-land-got-screwed-again fashion, there's no PAL version of the 2080 or 2070.

PostPosted: 12 Feb 2018, 22:22 
Third post and above
Third post and above

Great, thanks!
From the service manual of the CLD-2600 I can see than the component layouts are identical, and some of the crucial missing regulation screws are there!
I didn't compared the video/audio board with the schematic of the 2090, but only the optical section, and they are quite the same, safe for the tilt sensor layout.

This Thomson model appears to have the possibility to even mount the missing control jog for scanning. This seems to be supported by both front circuit board (5 unused soldering point in the right position) and by a slotted area in the front panel, exactly near the headphone jack/volume knob.

However, the unit is slowly regaining life with my brand new scope and the service manual. Now the Side B is perfectly functioning, but Side A has problems in the outer and inner positions...
I'll post detail of the resurrection when finished.

Thanks!
Luciano

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]