It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 00:04

Page 1 of 1 [ 20 posts ] 
 Post subject: [LD-V4300D] Calibration
PostPosted: 12 Feb 2018, 06:34 
Honest fan
Honest fan

I'm currently attempting to calibrate a LD-V4300D but I've come across an issue which I'm hoping someone has some insight on.

As part of the tracking balance adjustment the service manual states:

"Set the tracking error to maximum by using VR6 (FOCS BAL). Note that "1" should be selected for FOCS BAL shown on the monitor. Change to "0" (VR7) after adjustment".

The "focus mode" (0 or 1) is shown in the service mode screen and the manual states it can be changed using the remote via the [MULTI FWD] and [MULTI REV] keys.

These keys only seem to be present on the RU-V103 remote (which I don't have) - I do have an IRblaster remote on Android (that acts like the GGF1067 service remote) and the RMC12010 service remote - but neither seem to produce the correct key code to change the mode (both have x3 REV and x3 FWD - which I would have assumed are correct, but they don't do anything). Note that the two remotes I have work perfectly for all other functions.

Does anyone know how to get the focus mode set? What remote control did you use? Also, if anyone has a RU-V103 and is willing to try this out, I'd appreciate knowing if it worked.

Thanks!
/Simon

Post subject: Re: [D-V4300D] Calibration
PostPosted: 21 Feb 2018, 16:39 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

simoni wrote:
I'm currently attempting to calibrate a LD-V4300D but I've come across an issue which I'm hoping someone has some insight on.

As part of the tracking balance adjustment the service manual states:

"Set the tracking error to maximum by using VR6 (FOCS BAL). Note that "1" should be selected for FOCS BAL shown on the monitor. Change to "0" (VR7) after adjustment".

The "focus mode" (0 or 1) is shown in the service mode screen and the manual states it can be changed using the remote via the [MULTI FWD] and [MULTI REV] keys.

These keys only seem to be present on the RU-V103 remote (which I don't have) - I do have an IRblaster remote on Android (that acts like the GGF1067 service remote) and the RMC12010 service remote - but neither seem to produce the correct key code to change the mode (both have x3 REV and x3 FWD - which I would have assumed are correct, but they don't do anything). Note that the two remotes I have work perfectly for all other functions.

Does anyone know how to get the focus mode set? What remote control did you use? Also, if anyone has a RU-V103 and is willing to try this out, I'd appreciate knowing if it worked.

Thanks!
/Simon

Hello !

There is currently a seller on Ebay who is offering few new old stock RU-V103 remote controls. Pricey, but you get what you pay for.

PostPosted: 21 Feb 2018, 18:04 
Honest fan
Honest fan

I rather only buy one if I knew that was the issue (which is unlikely). The FOCS BAL setting just doesn't seem to be set as per the service manual (as it's unlikely the IR codes on the web are incorrect). It would be great if someone could verify this.

PostPosted: 21 Feb 2018, 20:13 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

simoni wrote:
I rather only buy one if I knew that was the issue (which is unlikely). The FOCS BAL setting just doesn't seem to be set as per the service manual (as it's unlikely the IR codes on the web are incorrect). It would be great if someone could verify this.

Perhaps you could check the hypothesis of service manual inaccuracy by reading the manuals related to contemporary or similar industrial LD players which have the same remote control unit : LD-V4400 (NTSC-only version of the 4300D), LD-V5000, LD-V8000, an so on (see : http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pio/p ... ontrol.pdf). With a bit luck, there is an alternate procedure which might work with the 4300.

If I find the courage, i will try to enter the service menu on my LD-V4300D to see if the RC units I have (CU-V113A, RU-V103) work.

PostPosted: 22 Feb 2018, 00:18 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

If the shipping were only cheaper I have a V103 remote I'd sell for $25.

If scytales can see the code flashed on the screen when in test mode for these buttons you can compare it to the codes you are getting with your IRBlaster application to see if they match. Sometimes as the generations for remotes and players changed Pioneer used a different code for the same function. You may find a different button on the IRBlaster that provides the desired code.

PostPosted: 22 Feb 2018, 00:34 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

So the code flashes on screen when accessing test mod ?

That's good to know. I would not have know that. I will give my player a try, perhaps this week-end, as I plan to try the RGB output on my CRT TV by wiring a new DB9 to SCART cable.

PostPosted: 22 Feb 2018, 06:43 
Honest fan
Honest fan

When you bring the player into test mode (by holding DISPLAY whilst turning on) you will get into the DIAGNOSIS mode; pressing test again gets you into TEST MODE, which looks like the following screen capture:

Attachment:
Service mode.jpg
Service mode.jpg [ 86.8 KiB | Viewed 6284 times ]

The "KEY FF" is the currently pressed key code. Multi FWD should be 13 and Multi REV should be 14.

Looking at the manual, the procedure should be: Start the disc playing (8" test disc) and scan to around frame 20,000. Open the tracking. Switch the focus balance to 1 (by pressing Multi REV).

Providing you don't twiddle any variable resistors, it should not affect the player's calibration in any way (although standard precautions in test mode apply as there are no 'safe guards' running).

Edit: As a note; I've tried all the keys on a GGF1595, a RMC12010 and IRBlaster for both the 103 and the GGF1067. None of them produce either code 13 or 14 on any available key (I've even tried ESC+every key).

Edit2: I found the LD-V8000 service manual (the others don't seem to be available) and the calibration procedure is very similar to the 4300, however there is no mention of focus balance. It also mentions that you can lock the drive using Multi Fwd/Rev - which on the 4300 is done using the pause and reject keys on the remote (plunger pull/release) - so the key mapping is different.

PostPosted: 22 Feb 2018, 07:55 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I don't suppose you could substitute for the RU-V103A with a CU-V113A? They seem to have the exact same keys, but the latter is significantly cheaper and abundant.

PostPosted: 22 Feb 2018, 08:06 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Quote:
I don't suppose you could substitute for the RU-V103A with a CU-V113A? They seem to have the exact same keys, but the latter is significantly cheaper and abundant

It's not really a case of what's printed on the keys - it's more to do with what IR code the keys actually generate. As far as I can tell, most of the various remote models are simple variations (the model numbers changed over time, but the IR codes are the same). What I really want to know is - does the 103 act like the LD-V4300D service manual states - because none of the other remotes do. This is why I think it's far more likely that the service manual is wrong. Once I've eliminated the 'variable' of the remote, I can focus on working out what the service manual should say (because, then, I will know that the issue is the service manual and not something else).

I hope that makes some sense :)

PostPosted: 22 Feb 2018, 08:16 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

You'd still probably have better luck with it than an android app or that service remote which I looked up and it looks like it was made long after the LD era and as such is intended for Pioneer DVD players which probably explains why it's not working.

PostPosted: 22 Feb 2018, 08:37 
Honest fan
Honest fan

All that's required is someone with a V103 and a LD-V4300D to pop the player into service mode and press 2 keys on the remote. Then I'd know for sure without having to buy a plethora of remotes :)

As I said before, it's much more likely to be a mistake in the service manual, as the IR codes (even for Android apps) are well documented and have been used by many people over a number of years.

PostPosted: 16 Mar 2018, 22:14 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

I apologize for the delay.

I was able to enter service mode on my LD-V4300D and to switch "Focus Balance" back (state "1") and forth (state "0") with either a RU-V103 or a CU-V113A remote control unit (the former being much cheaper to buy second hand, also exists as CU-V113).

The remote key code that flashed on the on-screen display during operation was "14" with the MULTI REV button and "13" for the MULTI FWD button.

I'm afraid you'd better buy one of those remote control units dedicated to the LD-V4300D.

Oh, just for fun : the time counter in the diagnosis mode say my LD-V4300D has accumulated over 32873 hours of operation, which equate to over 3 and a half years.

Last edited by scytales on 16 Mar 2018, 22:23, edited 1 time in total. _________________
Pioneer CLD-2950 - Panasonic Quintrix TX-32PM11F CRT PAL and NTSC calibrated.

PostPosted: 16 Mar 2018, 22:19 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Thanks scytales; that's really appreciated. At least I know what the problem is now :)

I don't suppose you have the stuff to record the IR codes from either of those remotes? If not, no worries, I'll just start hunting for the two remotes you mentioned.

Edit: I found a CU-V113A on Ebay - in the USA though; so it will take a while - but it's on the way. When I get it, I'll record and publish the correct IR codes

PostPosted: 16 Mar 2018, 23:02 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

Unfortunately, I do not have the required stuff.

PostPosted: 16 Mar 2018, 23:16 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Worth asking :) Once I get the new remote, I'll confirm it works and make a copy of all the IR codes. Thanks again for the help!

PostPosted: 27 Mar 2018, 02:59 
Third post and above
Third post and above

simoni wrote:
These keys only seem to be present on the RU-V103 remote (which I don't have) - I do have an IRblaster remote on Android (that acts like the GGF1067 service remote) and the RMC12010 service remote
/Simon

Hi,
which app for android is this exactly?

Best regards,
Harry

Post subject: Re: [LD-V4300D] Calibration
PostPosted: 13 Apr 2018, 21:26 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Quote:

The application was called IRPlus.

I've now received and tested the CU-V113A remote and it does indeed cause the correct keycodes to be detected by the player. So, the existing IR code configurations available on the web are incorrect for the multi-rev and multi-fwd keys. They are also incorrectly mapped in the RMC12010 3rd party replacement service remote. Presumably the keycodes were changed in later revisions of the service remote after the GGF1067 and no one thought to double-check.

I've scanned the IR output from the CU-V113A using ir-keytable in Ubuntu and added the correct hex-codes for all of the keys to the LD-V4300D overview page on my website (along with a hires scan of the remote):

https://www.domesday86.com/?page_id=1176

Thanks for the help scytales!

PostPosted: 13 Apr 2018, 23:58 
Third post and above
Third post and above

simoni wrote:
Quote:

The application was called IRPlus.

Thanks! This App works nice for my CLD-D925

PostPosted: 13 May 2018, 21:03 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

Simoni, have you actually calibrate your LD-V4300D ?

I'm looking forward to do the same with mines, notably one that produce only a black and white images with a lot of smearing. The other is fine, but I wonder if a little calibration will or will not decrease some random noise in highly saturated colour area.

PostPosted: 13 May 2018, 21:25 
Honest fan
Honest fan

I have figured out a number of the calibrations, but I'm not all the way through yet. It's a bit slow-going as I have a lot of other things on at the moment.

I will post back though once I've got the article finished and published.

Page 1 of 1 [ 20 posts ]