It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 14:09

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 
 Post subject: [CLD-95] Help
PostPosted: 03 Apr 2018, 14:48 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

My CLD 95 doesn't play or recognize CD's (doesn't spin). It appears to play LD's but its not connected to a TV (yet). I sent it to the place in WA maybe 8 years ago now .A few things were fixed and some PM steps were done on it. I had recapped the power supply and audio boards before sending. I only found one Cd that would not play(I was told that was normal due to the technology of the 95) , but now none will.
I have SM and checked the CD inside switch with ohm meter it checked ok. There also a phototransistor (Q408) paired with IR emitter( D800) for CD detection (I think) . Any ideas what could be wrong ? My next step is to connect to a TV maybe get some error codes? ......... I had stop using it for while and the tray was stuck turn on. I did notice if not used the tray would get stuck , not lifting higher enough to clear door opening. But a few open/close operations would fix this but not this time I had to help it (carefully). Its a real nice CD player. Any ideas what could be the problem ? thanks

Post subject: Re: [CLD-95] Help
PostPosted: 03 Apr 2018, 19:49 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

I hooked up to TV and LD's play. Star Wars it's playing ok but the color was faint .

PostPosted: 03 Apr 2018, 21:47 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

I'm no tech and do hope others can help.
Sounds like something is going or needs to be adjusted, but don't send it to WA hes out to lunch.

PostPosted: 04 Apr 2018, 18:19 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

Are you getting digital audio from Laserdiscs? I had a similar problem with a CLD-79 where it would play LDs, but only analog sound, and when I tried to play CDs it spat them back out.

PostPosted: 04 Apr 2018, 19:12 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

Yes audio and video on LD . The digital audio light stays on. There is a cd inside switch and a phototransistor with a matching IR emitter for CD detection . Does the laser see the disc first ? I'm not sure how the cd detection works. I noticed that the laser carriage was not bumping the cd inside switch. I thought there might be a part missing from the switch plunger . I added a pad so it bumps , no luck the deck acts like there is no disc in it.

PostPosted: 04 Apr 2018, 22:32 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Even with no disc in the unit the laser should first try to sense a LD inserted at the first position and then move closer to the spindle motor and check for a CD installed. There are two switches on the mechanism by the guide rail toward the spindle motor side. Check and see if the one closer to the spindle motor is stick in the closed position. If it is the laser will never move closer to the spindle motor to check the CD position.

PostPosted: 04 Apr 2018, 23:27 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

The switch closest to the spindle is working, its not stuck . The laser moves right to the spindle and then lifts up comes back down and the carriage moves to 8" size location checks for one then stops .

PostPosted: 05 Apr 2018, 14:53 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

I'm getting 12mV on the CD inside switch. Not sure what voltage should be there .

PostPosted: 12 Apr 2018, 12:05 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

the CD inside switch seems the mostly candidate for the problem . The deck doesn't load the CD it just clamps it and the tray stays in the lower position . I might be able to get a new switch .

PostPosted: 13 Apr 2018, 01:16 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

If the unit goes to the CD position and tries to detect a disc then the switch is OK.

PostPosted: 13 Apr 2018, 21:46 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

The deck might not be loading for CD play. After the tray with the CD is inside the unit ,the CD gets clamped but I don't think the CD spindle is engaged as I can moved the CD from side to side some ,the tray is lowered at the same time. I think the tray is supposed to come back up just underneath the CD (CD spindle in center hole now) and then start spinning. I believe there two are spindles a large one for LD's center hole and a smaller one for CD's . I mention before the deck loads an empty tray the same way it loads when there is a CD in it, I don't think that's right .

PostPosted: 18 Mar 2019, 15:44 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

I'm dusting of this thread (and player ) . Could this be an alignment issue ? The deck plays LD but it doesn't "see" the CD in the tray . The laser moves on draw closing (cd in tray) but doesn't appear to see the cd as it looks for the different sizes disc . The laser looks for the cd and then 10" size and then a LD and then it stops ,just as if there was no disc in the tray the cd doesn't spin . I have replaced the cd switch and IR diode , but they were both good . I have the SM . I want to try the alignment , any ideas ?

PostPosted: 22 Mar 2019, 11:32 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

Does anyone know the start up sequence for CD play for the CLD 95 ? I'm thinking the laser detects the CD is there , bumps the associated switch which starts the spindle , then laser reads the TOC . What do you think ?

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ]