It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 22:38

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: [CLD-99] U1 error
PostPosted: 17 Aug 2018, 03:13 
Hi all,

New here, and new to laserdiscs in general, and was hoping I could get some help with an issue I'm encountering with a new player I recently purchased. I have a CLD-99 that I'm getting a U1 error on. I just received the player today and purchased off of Ebay. The seller claims it was working at the time of sale, and when I got it the player was double boxed and seemed well packed. There does not seem to be any damage to the player, and the tray opens and closes fine.

So when I first hooked it up I was getting a U1 error and couldn't play CD's or LD's. I tried a few different discs and then gave up to look online for that error code. Suddenly when I turn my back I hear a loud noise that was either the player itself, or something it sent to my speakers it was hooked up to. I tried playing something again to see if the player blew up, and lo and behold it now plays CD's....very odd...

So with that I tried playing a LD again, but still I'm having the same issue. The consensus fix seems to be to replace the belt, so I removed the cover and tray to get a look, removed the belt, cleaned it and put it back on. That didn't do anything and any time I load a LD it moves the disc into place, but it never spins.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I have to decide what to do with this now, and whether to ask for a refund. I'd really like to get this thing working though, so I'm hoping there is something easy I'm missing. Would it be normal to have a bad belt, yet the tray still opens and closes without issue?

Post subject: Re: CLD-99 U1 error  Topic is solved
PostPosted: 17 Aug 2018, 03:25 
I've also noticed that the player is leaving a couple streaks on the disc like it's rubbing against something when it loads. Maybe that can provide a hint? The disc I'm using was a sealed copy that I just opened tonight, so there should be no problem there.

Post subject: Re: [CLD-99] U1 error
PostPosted: 17 Aug 2018, 03:56 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Have you done a google search about the U1 error????
Comes right up.

As to what is wrong with your player?? with the U1 I would check inside BUT if you open it you can't really return it now can you.

PostPosted: 17 Aug 2018, 04:05 
Yes, I did, and as I said the consensus is that it is a belt. However, I've seen suggestions that it could be other things, and give the tray opens and closes fine I wanted to get a second opinion. It also seems a lot of folks who had that issue also were not able to play cd's, yet I am able to.

Anyway, I've ordered a belt and the seller is fine with me replacing it to try to fix the issue. I'll try that because why not for $6, but I'm not feeling too confident.

PostPosted: 17 Aug 2018, 04:05 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Clearly a clamping issue if the player doesn't even try to spin the disc:

[GLOBAL] List of Pioneer Error Codes

U1 = Miss clamp error
The disc clamp operation did not end within 5 seconds.

I had this on a VERY old and used player. It would spin CD but for LD it would never manage to clamp and reach full speed rotation, as if the LD was too heavy to spin.

In your case, assuming the seller is honest, maybe some parts moved inside and misaligned the clamp/tray?

Julien

PostPosted: 17 Aug 2018, 04:10 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

jamon1567 wrote:
Yes, I did, and as I said the consensus is that it is a belt. However, I've seen suggestions that it could be other things, and give the tray opens and closes fine I wanted to get a second opinion. It also seems a lot of folks who had that issue also were not able to play cd's, yet I am able to.

Anyway, I've ordered a belt and the seller is fine with me replacing it to try to fix the issue. I'll try that because why not for $6, but I'm not feeling too confident.

:thumbup: Thank you, most don't even search and the just ask.

Could be the belt, but the scratch issue is something else.
I would play the disc with the top off to make sure something didn't get jostled inside, better to check with that damaged disc then damage more.

This way you can see what may be causing the scratch, that could also be causing your issue.

PostPosted: 17 Aug 2018, 04:14 
The disc wasn't actually damaged, it was a couple lines of grease or something. And I did have the cover off. It went through the motions of seating the disc, but it never starts spinning.

Julien posted a link to the miss clamp error, and I'm not sure what to make of that. Of the possible causes below, are those all separate issues from what a belt replacement may fix? I'm not sure what to look for on my end that a literal first timer may be able to solve, or if this is something that is probably going to be a costly repair that would need to be done by a professional.

U1 = Miss clamp error

During LD setup, after 1/8th rotation, the track count during 1/8 rotation exceeded 511.
During start-up, the focus was lost once and refocusing was attempted, but the focus could not be locked.
Two FG pulses did not come within 800ms from the start of LD start-up
The disc clamp operation did not end within 5 seconds.

Probable cause(s):
Disc sandwidched
Disc shifted
Spindle motor KO
Disc scratched or dirty defocused during start-up
Two discs loaded
PU actuator KO
Tilt sensor KO
Tilt neutral KO (tilt base KO)

PostPosted: 17 Aug 2018, 04:29 
I just posted a quick video to youtube of the problem I'm having in action. Maybe it'll help. I've also looked around for any losse cables and any broken pieces etc, but everything looks fine as far as I can tell.

PostPosted: 18 Aug 2018, 04:22 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

This is not a load belt issue, the load is working fine. If it plays CD's then the spindle motor centering should be acceptable. You probably have an issue in the power supply, if that is fine it would be the video circuitry on the main board. That is where I would start.

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ]