It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 14:52

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: CLD-59 woes
PostPosted: 27 Aug 2018, 17:23 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

I have two CLD-59s that I'm trying to fix. You may recall from pervious threads that I had bought these players from fleabay and got worked over. Anyway, I got new motor mounts and was hoping that's all that would need to be replaced. Guess again!

Put the motor mounts on the pickup and of course both machines have other mechanical problems.

Machine 1 jams/binds when clamping and throws error U1. Not sure if there's a bit of plastic from the motor mount or a screw in there somewhere or what. It doesn't seem as though it's the belt, because it sounds like the motor is struggling against something. Eject works fine.

Machine 2 has a jam when closing the tray, although you can jimmy it shut. However, once the tray shuts, physically the spindle does not clamp although it appears that the mechanism is such that the logic is in a clamped state (however, the spindle itself is the spindle itself doesn't seem to be engaging). Machine 2 does not throw error U1. Since machine 2 does not throw any errors, I can put a disc in, but it doesn't recognize a disc has been inserted (doh!).

Not sure why these machines are behaving the way they are. Doesn't make much sense to me. Any thoughts?

I don't understand the mechanical engineering of these units. I don't know why they would be broken. Perhaps they're just out of sequence somehow?

Post subject: Re: CLD-59 woes
PostPosted: 27 Aug 2018, 22:59 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

If you have replaced some major parts they need to be aligned.

If you haven't done that then they won't work, these are very odd as mechanical devices and some of the adjustments I know of don't make any sense but
they do what they are supposed to.

Sorry I'm not a tech and can't help you.
Your best bet is to try and search up what or how to align the players.

PostPosted: 28 Aug 2018, 01:59 
True fan
True fan

Did you already replace the belts on either of these players or not?

PostPosted: 28 Aug 2018, 03:31 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Yup. It probably needs new belts if you haven't already, then an alignment.

BTW shipping 59/504/604's is dicey because the first version M-holder (VNL16xx) is particularly crappy.

(and yes, 504/604's SM will apply nicely to a 59)

Last edited by happycube on 29 Aug 2018, 05:41, edited 1 time in total. _________________
Happycube Labs: Where the past is being re-made, today. [meep!]

PostPosted: 28 Aug 2018, 04:45 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

As stated, brand new motor mounts. No problems there, all fixed up and no E1 error anymore on either unit.

No new belts, I guess I should do that. Haven't done an alignment, not sure how to do that. Will dig up the service manual, but lddb doesn't have the manual for this exact player, so hopefully I can find a similar model to reference.

Is the alignment for the loading mechanism or the pickup?

Edit:. Sorry, I guess I should be more clear, by motor mount I mean the M-holder :thumbup:

PostPosted: 28 Aug 2018, 08:50 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

jeffl3001 wrote:
As stated, brand new motor mounts. No problems there, all fixed up and no E1 error anymore on either unit.

No new belts, I guess I should do that. Haven't done an alignment, not sure how to do that. Will dig up the service manual, but lddb doesn't have the manual for this exact player, so hopefully I can find a similar model to reference.

The CLD-59 should have the exact same Epsilon Turn mechanism as the CLD-D504 and 604. Here is a link to the 504’s service manual.....

http://manuals.lddb.com/LD_Players/Pioneer/CLD/CLD-D504/

I personally think the problem you have might be that you re-installed the motor incorrectly in relation to the gears. There should be symbols on them to indicate how they align to ensure their timing is correct. A belt issue, by itself, would just exhibit issues like the loading mechanism section not raising all the way to the disc clamper and possible Side B switchover issues.

(Edit.... after re-reading your description, it is starting to sound like a belt issue and this would not be unreasonable considering the age of the 59 and if this indeed is the orginal belt. I would get a new belt first before messing with anything else since you could make it worse by guessing it’s something else. I have a 59 as well in storage that still needs its belt replaced so maybe i’ll test it soon to see what I observe from it)

Quote:
Is the alignment for the loading mechanism or the pickup?

Always the load mechanism. Laser pick-up is pretty much independent but still needs data from the loading mechanism (in the form of micro switches I assume) on when to move around.

PostPosted: 28 Aug 2018, 14:36 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Yes, asking for help means you need to be clear with your terminology.

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]