It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 18:11

Page 1 of 2 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: [CLD-D701] Cannot rotate to side B; Jammed?
PostPosted: 02 Sep 2018, 02:59 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

Hello all, new here. I just got my CLD-D701... works great for the most part, however, changing to side B, the process that is, seems to be jammed. Opened it up, re-greased everything etc etc.. even greased some gears; solved my noise issue. however, there is a little white piece that weaves the ribbon cable around.. i don't think my part is doing it properly. It does not go up all the way, like i saw in a video. Instead the laser mechanism gets stuck and the gears make a RGRGRGRGRGRGRGRG sound. The system then locks up.

Here are some videos, please give me some advice:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
https://www.dropbox.com/s/iogxw8gmezj8f ... 3.mp4?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vrmao5244b03t ... 3.mp4?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nd3ln1h11evws ... f.mp4?dl=0

Post subject: Re: [CLD-D701] Cannot rotate to side B; Jammed?
PostPosted: 02 Sep 2018, 05:37 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Is the transit screw removed from the back panel of the unit? It prevents the mechanism from turning and will interfere. Also you laser assembly is not going back far enough. You should see a hole the the back great goes into to turn the mechanism. Find out why it is not going all the way back, could be a transit screw.

PostPosted: 02 Sep 2018, 06:00 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

krbahr wrote:
Is the transit screw removed from the back panel of the unit? It prevents the mechanism from turning and will interfere. Also you laser assembly is not going back far enough. You should see a hole the the back great goes into to turn the mechanism. Find out why it is not going all the way back, could be a transit screw.

I noticed it wasn't going all the way back.. believe me. And no, there isn't a transit screw. The unit didn't ship with one, actually.

I got rid of the factory grease, put my own.

The only lead i have as to why it's not going all the way back is the white piece, under the board, that weaves the ribbon cable. It does not get pushed all the way up and i don't know why; I also can't see under it enough to see any issues. I don't "feel" any issues with my hand either.

It might be out of line; i really can't tell well enough. I need more to go on; advice?

PostPosted: 02 Sep 2018, 08:12 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

It appears in the third video that the white plastic part that weaves the ribbon cable up and out of the way is lower than it should and the pick up assembly crashes into it.

I had this problem before on a CLD-D701 as well and my issue (maybe not the same as yours) was that a simple sticker that was on the ribbon cable for the laser pick up was slowly coming off and leaving a sticky residue that made the cable stick. Once I cleaned off the stickiness with some alcohol and some baby oil, the issue was fixed. (This is also the same issue I wrote about on another post in which the same stickiness issue also caused some skipping on LD playback.)

If that is the what you find, just be careful to not bend/crease the cable when cleaning it.

PostPosted: 02 Sep 2018, 18:28 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

ldfan wrote:
It appears in the third video that the white plastic part that weaves the ribbon cable up and out of the way is lower than it should and the pick up assembly crashes into it.

I had this problem before on a CLD-D701 as well and my issue (maybe not the same as yours) was that a simple sticker that was on the ribbon cable for the laser pick up was slowly coming off and leaving a sticky residue that made the cable stick. Once I cleaned off the stickiness with some alcohol and some baby oil, the issue was fixed. (This is also the same issue I wrote about on another post in which the same stickiness issue also caused some skipping on LD playback.)

If that is the what you find, just be careful to not bend/crease the cable when cleaning it.

Aha, i figured it was this white piece. No, i don't feel anything sticky but my hand is too fat to really reach around anything. On the flash light, no residue shimmers or anything. - Perhaps there is a
jam somewhere? I'll keep looking.

PostPosted: 02 Sep 2018, 19:08 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

ldfan wrote:

Does this white piece need grease? I really can't tell.

PostPosted: 02 Sep 2018, 19:46 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

lopsidedvectrex wrote:

This part does not need grease. If anything, if you don’t find any sticky residue on the ribbon cable and nothing appears to be snagging the white retractor, maybe the issue is the spring in the retractor is too weak because it’s not set correctly (or missing).

See if you can check that.

PostPosted: 02 Sep 2018, 20:08 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

ldfan wrote:
lopsidedvectrex wrote:

This part does not need grease. If anything, if you don’t find any sticky residue on the ribbon cable and nothing appears to be snagging the white retractor, maybe the issue is the spring in the retractor is too weak because it’s not set correctly (or missing).

See if you can check that.

There is indeed a spring in between the white piece. It looks just like all the other springs; Doesn't seem deformed or 'bad'.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/59xfdvkawe8gh ... 7.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/hi9cnb6qugvrm ... 6.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/rcu1r1uj946q6 ... 0.jpg?dl=0

PostPosted: 02 Sep 2018, 20:47 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Ok. I see the sticky residue on all the photos as well as that stray piece of thin plastic that’s stuck within the white retractor.

If you remove that and clean that residue off, it should fix the issue.

That thin plastic was probably stuck to that sticky section at some point for adjusting some tension on the ribbon cable but now that it’s coming off it’s restricting movement. No harm in losing it now as my player has been fine since I removed mine (also other Alpha Turn machines I own never had his odd piece but it seems to be present on the 701 for some reason).

PostPosted: 02 Sep 2018, 21:23 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

ldfan wrote:
Ok. I see the sticky residue on all the photos as well as that stray piece of thin plastic that’s stuck within the white retractor.

If you remove that and clean that residue off, it should fix the issue.

That thin plastic was probably stuck to that sticky section at some point for adjusting some tension on the ribbon cable but now that it’s coming off it’s restricting movement. No harm in losing it now as my player has been fine since I removed mine (also other Alpha Turn machines I own never had his odd piece but it seems to be present on the 701 for some reason).

Oh dear, am i going to have to completely dis-assemble that bit? Hm... i've done stuff like this before but i've NEVER been able to find a working laserdisc player until now.. i don't want to goof this up..

Anyway i could get to it without disassembly? *gulp*

I suppose i could remove the back plate again, but it'd be annoying with the disc tray in the way. and even then, my hands aren't small enough...

PostPosted: 02 Sep 2018, 21:31 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

If you have a tweezer, you should be able to reach in and at least remove the loose plastic. That’s the bigger issue. Then test again and if the player works better now you should be fine. The sticky residue might already be dried up so may not need to be cleaned off for now.

PostPosted: 02 Sep 2018, 21:47 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

You can use lighter fluid to remove the glue. Put it on a qtip to reach if you need.

PostPosted: 02 Sep 2018, 21:54 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

ldfan wrote:
If you have a tweezer, you should be able to reach in and at least remove the loose plastic. That’s the bigger issue. Then test again and if the player works better now you should be fine. The sticky residue might already be dried up so may not need to be cleaned off for now.

Removed the plastic tab; it was really sticky. but now the tray doesn't open; Just makes a humming noise. great.

I don't see the spindle in the middle rising anymore.

PostPosted: 02 Sep 2018, 22:05 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

lopsidedvectrex wrote:
Removed the plastic tab; it was really sticky. but now the tray doesn't open; Just makes a humming noise. great.

That shouldn’t affect the tray at all since it’s a different function. Sure you did not knock something as you were removing the plastic? You could have pulled on the plastic too hard and maybe pulled the ribbon cable off of the laser pick-up.

Also, the spindle motor (I assume that’s what you mean) does not raise or lower on this model. Only the tray and clamper moves up and downs

PostPosted: 02 Sep 2018, 22:20 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

ldfan wrote:
lopsidedvectrex wrote:

That shouldn’t affect the tray at all since it’s a different function. Sure you did not knock something as you were removing the plastic? You could have pulled on the plastic too hard and maybe pulled the ribbon cable off of the laser pick-up.

Also, the spindle motor (I assume that’s what you mean) does not raise or lower on this model. Only the tray and clamper moves up and downs

Pics:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/c4wo8blleoovt ... 4.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/r9e82h8kqyqfj ... 0.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/c9igkonsg0x89 ... 4.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/15jgbygx97e4x ... 1.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/a73ty333p4k9e ... 6.jpg?dl=0

I let the machine run with the RRRRRRRR/humming noise and if i push the drawer door down to help the tray, the tray comes out and gets stuck half way so there is tension and stress somewhere.

PostPosted: 02 Sep 2018, 22:37 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Check your loading belt to see if it’s loose. Located under the tray on the left / front side.

If this is the original belt for the player, good chance it’s stretched and you need to order a new one. Part number PEB-1013.

PostPosted: 02 Sep 2018, 22:55 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

ldfan wrote:
Check your loading belt to see if it’s loose. Located under the tray on the left / front side.

If this is the original belt for the player, good chance it’s stretched and you need to order a new one. Part number PEB-1013.

I don't really have access to that side of the machine. I tried my best to showcase in this video:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/s8vqnzxbinead ... 2.mp4?dl=0

PostPosted: 02 Sep 2018, 23:36 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

I see the problem.

But if I have to describe what is wrong you might damage it more. Can you take a picture on the left side of the machine, post it on here, and then I’ll download the photo and repost it with directions to fix.

PostPosted: 02 Sep 2018, 23:47 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

ldfan wrote:
I see the problem.

But if I have to describe what is wrong you might damage it more. Can you take a picture on the left side of the machine, post it on here, and then I’ll download the photo and repost it with directions to fix.

By left side of the machine, you mean the inside or the absolute outer left side with the white plastic that has greased grooves for the mechanisms to slide?

Here are some attempts:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/e21bkuy5sqe8i ... 5.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/7ftp20h586bk2 ... 1.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/23jn3lj65xmie ... 7.jpg?dl=0

PostPosted: 03 Sep 2018, 00:05 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

As the picture indicates, place the piece I have circled in green into the slot circled in red.

You may have to unscrew the entire magnetic clamper assembly to maneuver the peg into the slot (or try to force it in place but it might be difficult to do). It is held in place by four screws on top (it's the entire metal assembly). Lift it up and just pop it back into place.

Hope this helps

Page 1 of 2 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next