It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 15:16

Page 2 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Yamaha DDP-1, can not get it to recognize AC-3 RF signal
PostPosted: 11 Nov 2018, 05:43 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

I gave up on the DDP1 for a number of reasons, despite I was able to get the mod to work. The big one is that...it's a big one. It's too bulky for my setup. I gave the DDP1 to a friend who also needed just the AC-3 Demodulator to run into his receiver. The second reason was the chaos of how to connect it in. My receiver has two Optical inputs, and to be able to utilize Analog only discs (I have several enough for it to be considered), DTS/Standard Digital Audio, and AC-3, I not only would have to use three connections on the back of the receiver, but three different presets The system only has 7 different pre-sets that can go between different inputs.

I instead pulled the trigger on a $56 Sony SDP-E800 on Fleabay. Hopefully this solves all my issues.

PostPosted: 11 Nov 2018, 17:54 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

tgotr wrote:
I instead pulled the trigger on a $56 Sony SDP-E800 on Fleabay. Hopefully this solves all my issues.

Let us know how it works out. :thumbup:

If the processor is in great condition, it should be excellent for your set-up. I'm pretty happy with mine (except for the heat issues which I'm still working on).

PostPosted: 12 Nov 2018, 00:08 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

ldfan wrote:
tgotr wrote:

Let us know how it works out. :thumbup:

If the processor is in great condition, it should be excellent for your set-up. I'm pretty happy with mine (except for the heat issues which I'm still working on).

Why not check the temps of each chip and put some copper heat sinks on the hotter ones? I had to put in a 120mm noctua fan in my receiver for heat issues

PostPosted: 12 Nov 2018, 02:36 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

tgotr wrote:
Why not check the temps of each chip and put some copper heat sinks on the hotter ones? I had to put in a 120mm noctua fan in my receiver for heat issues

It’s actually the normal operation of the unit. Also, the chips producing the heat already have heat sinks on them.

The issue I find a tad irritating about the unit is that Sony only provided vents on the bottom so heat can barely escape. I plan to add a tiny exhaust fan on the back of the unit to improve air flow and that should lower the temps adequately.

PostPosted: 13 Nov 2018, 03:46 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

ldfan wrote:
tgotr wrote:

It’s actually the normal operation of the unit. Also, the chips producing the heat already have heat sinks on them.

The issue I find a tad irritating about the unit is that Sony only provided vents on the bottom so heat can barely escape. I plan to add a tiny exhaust fan on the back of the unit to improve air flow and that should lower the temps adequately.

Figure out where the heat is gathering, and put the vent there.

PostPosted: 13 Nov 2018, 04:35 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

tgotr wrote:
Figure out where the heat is gathering, and put the vent there.

I could do that but one of my rules about owning AV equipment is that I like to minimize defacing the casing and in particular the top of a unit. Also, since I like stacking equipment when possible, I don't want the heat to move up to the next component.

My idea for the micro fan I am going to use would not necessitate a large opening in the rear and my goal was to create more air flow to just eject the heat away instead of just letting it escape upwards. It may be more complicated but I think I'll be happier with this kind of set-up. :)

PostPosted: 22 Jun 2019, 20:39 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

If the voltage input to a chip is too high, the thing to do is to check the power supply. The chip might still be fine (maybe!) if you can get the voltage back in regulation.

PostPosted: 22 Jun 2019, 23:39 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I recently acquired a Yamaha RF demodulator, the 999D and it runs very hot for it’s size. It’s taking the place of the comparatively large HK ADP303 and while it its a lot smaller it doesn’t run any cooler. Without question I’ll only turning it on when I’m using it because it would probably cost $10 in electricity just to sit idle making all that heat.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

Page 2 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2