It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 22:56

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Hey!
PostPosted: 23 Apr 2014, 18:11 
Honest fan
Honest fan

I've been looking for about 45 days, logged on for 30, shop for a week or so.
Old retired guy in Richmond, VA, got the bug for Pioneer Elite gear I never would have afforded when the kids were here...
Anyway, a DVL-91 popped up close by with about 150 discs and a LDD-1, then another 400 discs, and next?
So - I'm trying to recover my 'entry costs' to keep the WAF high!

I've got 40 or so discs I really like for me from the 2 groups, we watch any 'wife favorites' before we box them up and mail them off.
Once I got the process down, this is pretty easy, so I may grab other groups that pop up close by.

My favorites are:
AC-3, DTS discs - especially post-apocalyptic - after the big one (whatever that is!).
I like the different presentations of societies reconstructed, valuing of different skillsets than today, etc.
Don't have much use for commentaries, concerts, etc.

Feel free to write, offer, eats coast pickups, etc!

Post subject: Re: Hey!
PostPosted: 23 Apr 2014, 18:59 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Good day Tsheppard,

I have just read your introduction Friend.

Thank you for sharing with us all here, as I for one appreciate reading others experiences.
Pioneer Elite Equipment is superb in it's day.

Unfortunately Pioneer do not seem to be making their Elite product like they used to, wooden ebony sides anymore apart from the Odd high end products that we only now every 2 to 3 years......

I am so grateful that I purchased when I did and worked so damn hard many years ago.

I am now waiting to see if Pioneer will bring out an Elite 4K Blu-Ray player, because I will go for it.

The other Product that I would have loved to have owned is the Pioneer Reference SUZANO AV Amp.......Who know I may be able to obtain / purchase one of these second hand.......

I shall look forward to corresponding with yourself at some stage sir

Kindest Regards to you

:wave: :thumbup:

PostPosted: 26 Apr 2014, 11:46 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Just to mention - since I'm a guitar player and a luthier's son.

The Pioneer gear is rosewood, like the sides of a guitar, deep red with black stripes.
Ebony is solid black, like the bridge on a guitar when the strings attach on the body.

I have chunk of dad's ebony I'm going to rip and make step tread inserts for my next house - like where public buildings have stainless steel in concrete. The ebony is heavy, and absolutely solid - I'm going to have to get a specialty shop to rip it for strips.

FYI!
THS

PostPosted: 26 Apr 2014, 15:53 
Honest fan
Honest fan

tshephard wrote:
I've been looking for about 45 days, logged on for 30, shop for a week or so.
Old retired guy in Richmond, VA, got the bug for Pioneer Elite gear I never would have afforded when the kids were here...
Anyway, a DVL-91 popped up close by with about 150 discs and a LDD-1, then another 400 discs, and next?
So - I'm trying to recover my 'entry costs' to keep the WAF high!

I've got 40 or so discs I really like for me from the 2 groups, we watch any 'wife favorites' before we box them up and mail them off.
Once I got the process down, this is pretty easy, so I may grab other groups that pop up close by.

My favorites are:
AC-3, DTS discs - especially post-apocalyptic - after the big one (whatever that is!).
I like the different presentations of societies reconstructed, valuing of different skillsets than today, etc.
Don't have much use for commentaries, concerts, etc.

Feel free to write, offer, eats coast pickups, etc!

Awesome. I'm a guitar-playing DVL-91 owning LDD-1 processing guy that visits Richmond now and again. Good to have you here!

je

PostPosted: 05 May 2014, 01:50 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Welcome! I'm a cue maker as well as a LD enthusiast. I'm quite familiar with rosewood and ebony, both gorgeous, ebony being the more expensive of the two.
I honestly think my love for this format comes from not being able to afford it when I was growing up. I love the picture and the sound of course but also it's great for other reasons:
1 - not copy protected
2 - content unavailable on DVD or Blu
3 - I don't have to waste 30 seconds of my life everytime I load a movie watching all the BS legal notifications. Some of the younger crowd doesn't think this to be a big deal but I"M the one paying for this stuff and you're going to MAKE me sit thru all the BS? Not to mention most of the new movies just aren't that good. Too much emphasis on special effects, too little on storyline or charcter development.

Just my 2 cents.
Anyway, welcome to the forum. You'll learn a lot here, I have.

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]