It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 14:11

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: The new one - Already got questions
PostPosted: 20 Jun 2017, 11:37 
Dear LDDB-Community,
I'm glad that I finally took the step to create an account on this fine website and with it came this forum, so here I am.
LDDB is a website that I discovered several years ago and I have been visiting it every now and then browsing through the database, without a clear goal, just looking at the different releases and the nice cover scans.

You must know that I never owned a LaserDisc in my life (and still don't) but as soon as I learned about the format it somehow always sticked with me and this very morning I made the decision to take the step and finally get the necessary hardware and watch movies from this nice format. :D

Now, you see, I don't have a clue at the moment what I should buy (in terms of hardware), I'm living in Germany and I have a CRT with a Euroscart connector. I would like to watch LaserDiscs from all kinds of regions (Germany, Hong Kong and so on), what players would you recomend for a beginner? Any other tips you would like to share? Stuff you wish you knew before you got started? :)

Thank you very much in advance and I'll see you in the forum
Best Regards
INI

Post subject: Re: The new one - Already got questions
PostPosted: 20 Jun 2017, 12:30 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Hi ini,

first of all Welcome to the Laserdisc Database!

For the start I can recommend you the Pioneer CLD-S315, this is has PAL/NTSC player.
There is also a AC-3 version (Dolby Digital) for better Sound.

Grüße aus München.

PostPosted: 20 Jun 2017, 12:31 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

Welcome to the forum.

There are many excellent players out there.

If you want PAL & NTSC playback buy a dual player such as a CLD-2950, CLD-925, DVL-909, DVL-919 etc.

If on the other hand you want to start with NTSC discs first which represent the largest chunk of content available then the world is your oyster. There are literally hundreds of different NTSC only machines available. Check out Yahoo Japan auctions as well as Ebay. Prices have fallen significantly on high end machines but you don't need an HLD-X9 to get good playback from laserdiscs. Good players can be got from £50 upwards if you shop arounf. I wouldn't recommend buying a broken one as your first player in the hope you can repair it as it may put you off the format.

Any first time buyer is spoilt for choice. Many players are being sold with large collections of discs included in the price.
Often the total price is not much more if you buy a player + 200 LDs from a player on its own.
My advice is pick a set of titles that has some appeal to you. I personally love music on laserdisc so I waited until a large job lot appeared with mostly music titles.
You're only a first time buyer once and most of those job lots are the same movies (Speed, Independence Day etc) that will surface again and again. Try to get one with something special included, not just the run of the mill collection otherwise you will end up with 10 copies of Speed within a few years of starting.

PostPosted: 20 Jun 2017, 12:52 
Thanks for your answers!
NTSC would be my focus, yes. But considering buying a player on yahoo, I probably will have problems with getting this thing to run here, right? I would need a step-down converter or something like that for the power.
It seems like quite a few players have A/V-connections, are there many players out there with a scart connection or do I need to specifically look for a model that would suit my television?

Best regards
INI

PostPosted: 20 Jun 2017, 13:00 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

AFAIK, only European models have SCART, because it wasn't used anywhere else.

PostPosted: 20 Jun 2017, 17:15 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

Depending on the voltage in your country you may need a transformer. It's the same for me if I am wishing to use an Japanese player in the UK. They can be obtained easily enough from an electronics shop.

I wouldn't worry about the player output sockets. You can feed the LD player output into an A/V receiver or DVD recorder and then use the output from that into your TV. Saves on sockets going to the TV and also gets round connector issues.

PostPosted: 20 Jun 2017, 21:05 
Serious fan
Serious fan

ini wrote:
Thanks for your answers!
NTSC would be my focus, yes. But considering buying a player on yahoo, I probably will have problems with getting this thing to run here, right? I would need a step-down converter or something like that for the power.
It seems like quite a few players have A/V-connections, are there many players out there with a scart connection or do I need to specifically look for a model that would suit my television?

Best regards
INI

Advantage with Japanese NTSC players would be that those accept both 50 and 60 Hz as Japan has 50 and 60 Hz regions, so you would only need a transformer then, which also has the right socket already.
The video and audio out you can plug in in the front or side of your tv, or if your tv only has scart then use a scart plug that has 3 rca sockets.
I don't know how old your CRT is. If it is fairly modern, then changes are it will accept NTSC, otherwise you would see black and white.

PostPosted: 24 Jun 2017, 17:59 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Most of the ones with dual format have SCART sockets, but there isn't a huge problem if you have to use a composite or s-video cable and a SCART adapter plug; laserdisc signals don't support RGB separation, which is the main advantage of SCART This site has details of a LOT of players for Europe etc:
http://www.laserdiscarchive.co.uk/

PostPosted: 28 Jul 2017, 08:42 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

I bought my first laserdisc player around 1996 (after saving for years to afford one).
It was a Pioneer CLD-D515 and met my requirements of the time - it plays both NTSC and PAL (and gives a pretty decent picture for both), and it's able to switch sides automatically. I needed to replace it once in the 21 years that have passed since and I went for the same machine again.

It's able to play all my laserdiscs, be they from Japan, USA, Hong Kong, Germany, or Indonesia. I never came across a disc it couldn't play, except for (very few) rotters. It can handle both digital and old analog-only sound discs and also plays very old Discovision titles.

It has scart connection and you don't need to worry about a step-down converter.

If you are able find one of these in good condition, I'd bet it would serve you for a long time to come.

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ]