It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 07:28

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Hello from Lithuania
PostPosted: 23 Feb 2017, 06:49 
Third post and above
Third post and above

Hello,

I found out about laserdiscs ~10 years ago, bought my first laserdisc (Stargate) and then a player (Pioneer CLD-2850) with some more movies. I used to watch them on my PC (by connecting the LD player to the TV input card on my PC and using DScaler). The video quality was not that good (combination of multiple things) and the discs were expensive (I was a student at the time, so I didn't have money), so I stopped collecting them.

However, recently I remembered that I have some LDs and watched a couple with my friend on my new 150cm Plasma TV. I was actually surprised how good the image was compared to what I remember. So I restarted my LD collecting. Got some more movies and am looking for making "buying LDs" a monthly action. I also bought a different LD player (Pioneer CLD-V2300D) because my 2850 started skipping (and also I found out that its video quality is considered one of the worst for LD). My new player arrived smashed, but I was able to repair it and the video quality of it is better than that of my 2850. Great.

I also found this site, finally I can avoid getting a P&S disc by accident.

As I like and use older technology (audio/video tapes, records, old cars, vacuum tubes etc), LD is pretty much perfect for me. Video quality is good enough to be properly usable and the discs are not that expensive anymore. Also, LDs have stereo sound which is good because my audio system is stereo (not 5.1 or whatever).

Post subject: Re: Hello from Lithuania
PostPosted: 23 Feb 2017, 08:17 
True fan
True fan

Whoa! A user from only one in Lithuania. Welcome!

PostPosted: 23 Feb 2017, 10:50 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

The 2850 was my first player back in 1993 or 94. Can't say anything bad about it.
I sold it and bought a CLD-925 when it was brand new, and to my surprise the video
quality did not improve at all, so I am guessing your player might either be defective,
or you are expecting something else.

PostPosted: 23 Feb 2017, 12:27 
Third post and above
Third post and above

Well, the image quality of the CLD-V2300D is a bit better. However, I just did not have anything to compare the 2850 to. There are bad things written about it on the internet, but I could not compare it with any other player since I only had the one. Now that I bought a second one I can compare them and say that the V2300D is a bit better (and can also play PAL LDs with analog audio). Then again, the problem that causes my 2850 to skip or repeat may also be responsible for the lower quality. I did not have time to try to repair the 2850 and find out why it bahaves like this.

I mean I read things like the 2950 or D925 is the best PAL player and some very expensive Japanese players are so much better for NTSC than anything else, but I do not actually know how big a difference in image quality is there (I do not need DTS or AC-3). Is it like the difference between VHS SP and LP modes (quite noticeable) or something that can only be noticed if you know where to look.

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ]