It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 11:43

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: Hi, everyone!
PostPosted: 08 Apr 2017, 17:36 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Hi, new and old members! :D
I'm celebrating five years at LDDB.com this month, so I thought why not make a post about it. Don't think I have made an entry post back in days and presented me and my story. It's been five long years and a lot has happened those years. I think I can get rid of the "newbie stamp" after all these years as I have lasted and keeps on doing what I came for. :thumbup:

My story of the laserdisc format begins much earlier. I have faint memories being in music and video stores as a child and I paid attention to those big things and I must have been fascinated but cannot remember exactly why. Maybe those big discs are a fetish of some kind? :lol: I'm about 30 years old, this might have been in the first half of the 90's. Lets forward in time to approximately the year 2005/-06. I was looking at eBay for seasons 1 and 2 of the Sledge Hammer on DVD to buy and noticed I could get a Hammered: Best of Sledge on laserdisc. The size of the disc was appealing but I didn't pay any more attention until 2012, when I bought the CLD-1750 on eBay with The Lion King as the first laserdisc. It got me hooked and in the following years I bought many movies, primarly standard known movies (most of us have in the collection), then heavy music laserdisc releases and not-on-dvd releases.
Later I upgraded to the CLD-D925 and I got my first and only AC3 RF Demodulator unit, then came the DVL-909 before I got into the Elite range and got myself the CLD-97. Krbahr helped me get the original remote control for that one. Latest player I have added to the collection is the Panasonic LX-600u.
The HLD-X9 has been considered for years, but I don't jump the train as everybody else seems to do nowadays and buy one straight away. Maybe I'm getting there at some point, but the road and the fun getting there is also important, if not the whole thing.
This might be swearing in the church, but I considered a Sony Lasermax as an entry player back in the days! :oops: Don't bash me for it, because I didn't knew about the reputation Sony had when it came to laserdisc players. 8-)
At todays date, I have about 200 discs of great variety and in many genres.

Today I'm trying to help others to share my knownledge in repair questions and especially the specific players which I have experience with and worked on.
Every once in a while I try to spin a disc to keep my players running and hopefully there will be more time for that in the future! ;)

Post subject: Re: Hi, everyone!
PostPosted: 08 Apr 2017, 22:18 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Well after 409 posts it's not quite 'welcome to the forum'!!

Great though to read about your experience with and introduction to the LD format. All the best to you :)

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ]