It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 22:36

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 
 Post subject: WTB: Player in New or Like New Condition
PostPosted: 19 Apr 2018, 19:34 
Third post and above
Third post and above

Hello! I'm a little late to the game, but I just love the LaserDisc format from a technical and historical perspective, and am trying to build a small collection of LaserDiscs. To that end, I need a player!

I know there are a lot of used players around in working condition, but I really love the feeling of getting to open up and use a brand new piece of ~20 year old technology. I do also know there's always a risk things may not work out of the box after 20 years, but that's just part of the fun.

To that end, I'm looking for at least a decent player in new or like new condition, ideally in its original box and supporting both dual side play and AC3 RF output. I know it's a long shot, but if anyone here has a player sitting around in need of a home, I'm buying. Better players are ideal, of course, but I'm really not particular. (Nothing is exactly going to compare to a modern 4k Blu-ray release, but I would really love to be able to enjoy the best that this format has to offer.) I'm also interested in a working AC3 demodulator, if anyone is looking to sell one.

I've done a lot of research into recent sales (the few that there are), and any reasonable offer is up for consideration, even on the highest of the high end. I can't guarantee I can match what you're asking if you have a NIB HLD-X0 sitting around, but I will absolutely hear your terms. Thanks!

Post subject: Re: WTB: Player in New or Like New Condition
PostPosted: 20 Apr 2018, 05:44 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

Where are you located?

PostPosted: 20 Apr 2018, 06:11 
Third post and above
Third post and above

I'm in the vicinity of San Francisco, California, but I'd be willing to pickup throughout most of Northern California and the Reno area for a good player. More if we're talking something really special.

Also, I see the thread was moved. Apologies if the hardware sales sub-forum was the wrong place, though I'm not sure this will get much attention in the introductions area.

PostPosted: 21 Apr 2018, 02:48 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

I have good players for sale but I am in Massachusetts. There are good players in the CA area. I have had looking to buy threads on here in the past but I had no success. Although I mentioned I was willing to pay handsomely, I didn’t even get a single person contacting me. I hope you have better luck!

PostPosted: 21 Apr 2018, 09:15 
Third post and above
Third post and above

I'm not necessarily expecting anything here, but it's certainly worth a try. I'm watching eBay and Craigslist, of course. I see enough sales of brand new, decent players, as well as pretty much anything one might want in very good used condition, so I'm sure I'll find what I'm looking for sooner or later.

Considering the difficulty of repairs, it may actually make more sense to find a couple mid-level players to hold on to, as even the best could always wind up a paperweight if the wrong part fails and there's no replacement. (Again, while it would be great to see the best of what LaserDisc has to offer, the absolute best picture quality really isn't what i'm looking to get out of the format. There are other formats for that.)

By the way, if any of your players might fit what I'm looking for, I'm certainly willing to pay for proper packing and fast shipping, which should at least minimize the chances of anything happening in transit. Local pickup is ideal, but properly packed, I've found priority mail (or other 2-day service) is generally quite safe.

PostPosted: 21 Apr 2018, 13:23 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

I have a one owner LD-S2 with ac-3 output mod. I am the second owner but I really never used it. It comes with the original remote, I don’t have the box or anything else. It’s in very good cosmetic condition with some light surface scratches if you scrutinize it closely. I want to say it has low hours but can’t guarantee it, I am just passing the first owners word on this. LD-S2 is the second best LD player.

PostPosted: 24 Apr 2018, 22:11 
Third post and above
Third post and above

Thanks for the offer. I'll keep my eye (and eBay saved searches) out for something more or less new, if I can find it. I may go for a used LD-S2, LD-S9, or HLD-X9 at some point, and if I do, I'll send you a quick PM. They seem to be available generally (especially if you look at sellers in Japan), though in very limited quantities and at fairly high prices.

PostPosted: 24 Apr 2018, 23:23 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

LD-S2 is significantly better than the X9 and S9 but also significantly heavier. LD-S2 is LD-X1 in Japan in case you want to import one. I would say a clean CLD-97 is more likely to be found in the US. It’s a tad lesser in performance than the S2 but better than the X9 and S9.

Keep in mind, brand new in box high end units have been significantly more expensive so far. Benmbe bought a CLD-97 for over $3000 a while ago and I know Nicholas Santini has a new in box X0 for $8000.

PostPosted: 24 Apr 2018, 23:43 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

If I had a NIB player or close I wouldn't sell it at all.
So if you are lucky to find a NIB 97 and pay 3000 then that's a deal.

S2 sounds like a deal if you are looking for a top end player and really need it new in box.

PostPosted: 25 Apr 2018, 00:35 
Third post and above
Third post and above

Of course, and you'd be well justified to do so.

Based on eBay sales, though, while I certainly don't expect to find an LD-S9, HLD-X9, or similar new, I'm hopeful something might pop up. I'm not too worried about used player availability (both S9 and X9 aren't too hard to find even now), but that level of player generally goes for a bit more than I necessarily want to pay used.

I have a CLD-406, which I'm pretty happy with for now. I know this isn't one of the best players made, but I get more enjoyment out of knowing I'm the first to open up and actually use a little piece of history than having the absolute best picture quality available. (The player sits opposite an Oppo UDP-203, so if audio-visual quality what I'm looking for, that's is the player I'll be using.)

There's absolutely nothing wrong with giving a new home to a used player, of course, but that's not what I'm looking for right now.

PostPosted: 25 Apr 2018, 01:38 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

chaos215bar2 wrote:
There's absolutely nothing wrong with giving a new home to a used player, of course, but that's not what I'm looking for right now.

Good :mrgreen: less competition for me as I'm stockpiling all the players that I can get my hands on either from ebay or local.

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ]