It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 11:39

Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: LaserDiscs with opening previews?
PostPosted: 29 Apr 2017, 01:09 
Honest fan
Honest fan

One of my favorite aspects of the Laserdisc format was its immediacy, you pop in a disc, go through copyright warning(s) and some entertaining logos, and then your movie. Concurrently, VHS tapes had a buttload of trailers and previews for upcoming and available movies. Disney was notorious for this with long, lavish pre-shows lasting up to 10 minutes, especially in the late-90s. The opening previews to The Lion King II: Simba's Pride on VHS were so orchestrated and dense, I would lose interest when the movie began!

Previews weren't always exclusive to VHS then. Some LaserDiscs have their fair share of trailers, Street Fighter II: The Animated Movie had a promo for the short-lived MTV cartoon The Head on VHS in the very front of the disc. But then I learned there were more LDs with VHS-style previews. The additional info on some of the last Disney Japan LaserDiscs here claimed they had opening previews. Once I found that out, I knew there were more.

Can you mention any more? I believe the 2000 Star Wars Trilogy Special Edition Japanese box set opened with an 11-minute featurette for Episode II, but I could be wrong.

Post subject: Re: LaserDiscs with opening previews?
PostPosted: 01 May 2017, 21:19 
Not a preview, but I was surprised to play Sugar Hill and it opens to a little making of video, with the real movie starting on chapter 2. I'd usually expect to find that at the end. I skipped it since I didn't want any potential spoilers.

PostPosted: 02 May 2017, 03:42 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Disney Japanese laserdiscs could be quite heavy in "previews" that seem to last forever as well.

At some point, Pioneer decided to put the movie trailer at the beginning of side 1 instead of the last chapter (ex: Scream 3 (2000) [PILF-2844]).

You know how Hollywood trailers can casually give away important movie plots... Better skip the trailer!

Julien

PostPosted: 02 May 2017, 14:33 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

You are accurate about the 11 minute "making of" for episode II @ the beginning of the last installment
of star wars. A bit too much of a tease, left me wishing for much more .........

Many late release titles had one or more previews ahead of the main content.

LaserDiscs cut to the chase, no "load up" delay, no obnoxious menue to navigate.
In many ways dvd got it wrong regarding format layout functions.

Still, as many have come to realize, progress has little patience.
The rush to push forward and race to the shelves sacrifices quality and foresight in certain cases of media releases over the years. Case in point the corruption present on hd dvd releases is astounding.

Not too far from now, people will reflect "remember when we actually had little shiny discs"........
Physical media will go the way of the dinosaurs down the road. Except for "holdouts" that hang on to the past, netflix and redbox are quick to "hurry the day" .........

Keep those players well maintenanced kids..........

PostPosted: 02 May 2017, 15:58 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Anyone remember when it was said in the late 90s that one of the benefits with DVDs were that they wouldn't have trailers and crap before the movie like on VHS? :lol:

PostPosted: 02 May 2017, 16:30 
Honest fan
Honest fan

admin wrote:
Disney Japanese laserdiscs could be quite heavy in "previews" that seem to last forever as well.

At some point, Pioneer decided to put the movie trailer at the beginning of side 1 instead of the last chapter (ex: Scream 3 (2000) [PILF-2844]).

You know how Hollywood trailers can casually give away important movie plots... Better skip the trailer!

Julien

I forgot to mention but Twister (1996) [20102] opens with the teaser trailer. No spoilery plot points here, unless you count some of the action set pieces as spoilers. Regardless, that teaser was one of the best trailers of all time (IMO), and I think for many it was their first exposure to Dolby Digital in the theaters (may or may not be the first film trailer with a DD track).

PostPosted: 02 May 2017, 17:01 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

A lot of this had to do with space. Twister, for example, the trailers at the beginning of side 1 and end of side 2 (side 4 for the CAV set) for issues of side breaks. At one point, I wondered if studios were charged by the minute, but I later learned it was a flat fee per side (with CAV being actually cheaper). This is why so many films employed CAV on a short side (in the US - Japan didn't do this for the most part). I spoke to Universal some years ago and asked why "Waterworld" was CLV only. Turns out the director had final approval (as they all do) on side breaks, and they couldn't find acceptable ones to allow for a CAV side.

I recall significant speculation when Top Gun was originally released on video. Pepsi-Cola had paid a huge amount to have some commercial tacked on to the beginning of the VHS and Beta tapes, and we all wondered if the LaserDisc would be similarly tagged. Thankfully, it wasn't. Was it because Digital Sound was new and they could only encode 55 minutes per side (and the film runs 109 minutes)? Possibly. Was it because Pepsi knew all LaserDisc owners drink Coke? Doubtful.

PostPosted: 02 May 2017, 20:23 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I personally do not understand the hate.

I love those preview trailers on VHS and I never skip them whenever I watch a US DVD. I love trailers !
I love those old trailers that I sometimes watch on VHS.

I know one LD that has like 2 or 3 preview trailers: Holcroft Covenant, The (1985) [31022]

Contains trailers to other canon films:

Morons from Outer Space (1985)
Wild Geese II (1985)

PostPosted: 04 May 2017, 23:58 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

I know that Lifeforce - ML105117 has the trailer before the movie.

PostPosted: 05 May 2017, 02:15 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

In the 90s I worked at a video store so I have very specific memory about opening trailers and LD.

Paramount, on its rental VHS, would load tons of trailers on there, just like everyone else. After you watched this mountain of junk there would a card and an announcer saying something like "and now for our feature presentation", then the movie would start.

I have at least one Paramount LD where there are no previews at all (thank God for the limited running time of LD...) yet the card still comes up (now with no purpose) saying "and now..." because picture companies just have...habits.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 05 May 2017, 14:34 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

sega3dmm wrote:
I believe the 2000 Star Wars Trilogy Special Edition Japanese box set opened with an 11-minute featurette for Episode II, but I could be wrong.

I didn't know that was on laserdisc, but it's also on the Malaysian VCD Box Set of the Special Edition Trilogy.

PostPosted: 05 May 2017, 14:59 
Honest fan
Honest fan

signofzeta wrote:
I have at least one Paramount LD where there are no previews at all (thank God for the limited running time of LD...) yet the card still comes up (now with no purpose) saying "and now..." because picture companies just have...habits.

Actually, on the LaserDisc releases the announcer says "Paramount is pleased to bring you our feature presentation." That variant is standard even on VHS tapes without any preceding trailers.

I'd be surprised if you have a Paramount LD with opening previews at all. To me, the THX logo doesn't count.

PostPosted: 05 May 2017, 23:38 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I don't. What I find funny is that that card is designed to let you know the previews are finally over, yet there were no previews. It's just a pure waste of space and time that they couldn't do without because it's someone's job to make sure it's there. I came here for the feature presentation. It's the only reason I bought the disc. Of *course* you're going to show it. You don't need a thing that tells people they are about to watch the movie they just put in their player. It says "Play" and it's making noise, I expect a movie.

If every album bought began with "London records is proud to preset [the album you just put in the player]" nobody would have patience for that but movies are allowed to be vastly more annoying than records, comes with the higher budgets I guess.

PostPosted: 14 Jul 2017, 01:17 
Honest fan
Honest fan

The copyright warning was also attached to that annoucement, so they probably didn't want to do another version of that without it.

I have a few Japanese Disney laserdiscs with previews both before and after the movie. "The Jade Pussycat" (with John Holmes) has as a surprise a bunch of other p0rn movie previews at the end also, and they're chaptered even though none of the movie is.

I think the Michael Jackson Moonwalker disc had a Pepsi commercial at the beginning, saw that playing in a store when it was still new. Paramount's Barbarella widescreen disc has some previews at the end for unrelated movies, and the Independence Day laserdisc has the teaser for Volcano.

PostPosted: 14 Jul 2017, 10:01 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

admin wrote:

Julien

You mention that the previews seem to last forever. Well, someone must have let Disney know about it as some of the Disney DVD's I have allow you to skip the beginning previews. Just before the first preview starts, you have a chance to press a button on your remote (I don;t remember which one) and the movie then starts. Unfortunately, this does not happen with all Disney DVD's made today; but, it is an idea in the "right direction".
CED
934-54780150, 934.54810350, SJT-200, CED-1, 3-VIP1000, VIP201P

PostPosted: 26 Jun 2018, 01:22 
First post
First post

signofzeta wrote:
In the 90s I worked at a video store so I have very specific memory about opening trailers and LD.

Paramount, on its rental VHS, would load tons of trailers on there, just like everyone else. After you watched this mountain of junk there would a card and an announcer saying something like "and now for our feature presentation", then the movie would start.

The widescreen version of The Naked Gun 2 1/2 is like that with the feature presentation bumper despite the fact that it did not have any previews. I don't think it was on there for any other reason than to precede the copyright warning, although earlier Paramount releases used a similar copyright warning that would've sufficed albeit with the Gulf + Western byline in the background logos instead of the Paramount Communications byline on said logos.

PostPosted: 26 Jun 2018, 02:25 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

State of the Art of Computer Animation (1988) [PAVLD5018] has a promotional trailer at the beginning advertising PBS/Pacific Arts Video Laserdisc releases.

PostPosted: 26 Jun 2018, 03:27 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

dumbchemist wrote:
admin wrote:

Julien

You mention that the previews seem to last forever. Well, someone must have let Disney know about it as some of the Disney DVD's I have allow you to skip the beginning previews. Just before the first preview starts, you have a chance to press a button on your remote (I don;t remember which one) and the movie then starts. Unfortunately, this does not happen with all Disney DVD's made today; but, it is an idea in the "right direction".

Man...it really does work. The marketing wank. Amazing.

Ok, wake up, what Disney did here was give you ONE CHANCE to stop the previews from starting before locking out the skip, scan, and menu buttons. They made the choice to lock them out. If you’ve ever authored a DVD menu before you know that it’s the choice of the disc’s creator to make buttons not work, to make previews and warnings impossible to skip. So them *not* doing that for 8 seconds at the beginning of the disc is seen as bonus but only because of Stockholm syndrome.

That reminds me, I need to rebuy all those Ghibli movies to get rid of the damn ads.

I have a few JP discs where the copyright warning is litterally one pause frame at the end of a CAV side. Those are my favorites but I’d rather they were in the turtle logo somehow. :) I’m not a huge fan of being threatened with prison every single time I watch a movie. Only in America is that something people think is normal. It should not be mandatory that my three year old be threatened with Federal prison and $100,000 fines EVERY SINGLE TIME he watches Lady and the Tramp, a movie we have paid cash money for at least four times.

Meanwhile if you watch a movie any other way, streaming, pirated, VOD, none of this crap exists. It’s like they are actively trying to make discs more annoying than the alternatives.

Who never sees the warnings? The pirates. If you buy Incredibles 2 out of a gangster’s trunk it will just play the movie like an LD.

PostPosted: 26 Jun 2018, 05:23 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

signofzeta wrote:
I’m not a huge fan of being threatened with prison every single time I watch a movie.

PostPosted: 26 Jun 2018, 13:17 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

signofzeta wrote:

Who never sees the warnings? The pirates. If you buy Incredibles 2 out of a gangster’s trunk it will just play the movie like an LD.

This is what slays me. The warning is only seen by people already buying retail copies of movies. Completely pointless.

Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next