It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 10:45

Page 6 of 6 [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Post subject: Re: Most valuables
PostPosted: 21 Aug 2013, 18:32 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Just got thru watching my original pressing of Jaws DiscoVision. That oily smell is quite toxic, indeed! I gave each disc a good cleaning before hand, still my DVL 90 had some trouble on sides 1 and 3, which I wasn't able to get those going on it. I got out my CLD 980 and they tracked in just fine although there was some locking at times and required skipping ahead. Audio was a little rough on the first 3 sides, not too bad on 4 and 5. PQ was surprisingly more than I had expected. Some rot or noise, not sure which, it's not as bad on sides 4 and 5. Very cool to watch the original video disc release. I wonder if the original 1980 VHS versions have held up as well?

PostPosted: 25 Aug 2013, 11:02 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

The most valuable discs that i have in my collection are as follows:

1. Star Wars: The Definitive Collection (2nd pressing, contains the missing 7 seconds from Empire and rot free)

2. Blast From the Past

3. Election

4. Akira: The Criterion Collection (1st pressing)

5. Tron: The Ultimate Collection

6. Seven: The Criterion Collection

7. Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace

8. Boogie Nights: The Criterion Collection

9. The Art of Tom and Jerry: Volume 1

PostPosted: 25 Aug 2013, 15:26 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

tomtastic wrote:
Just got thru watching my original pressing of Jaws DiscoVision. That oily smell is quite toxic, indeed! I gave each disc a good cleaning before hand, still my DVL 90 had some trouble on sides 1 and 3, which I wasn't able to get those going on it. I got out my CLD 980 and they tracked in just fine although there was some locking at times and required skipping ahead. Audio was a little rough on the first 3 sides, not too bad on 4 and 5. PQ was surprisingly more than I had expected. Some rot or noise, not sure which, it's not as bad on sides 4 and 5. Very cool to watch the original video disc release. I wonder if the original 1980 VHS versions have held up as well?

If you want to own Jaws on MCA DiscoVision with all sides good, it shouldn't be too hard to assemble since Jaws was pressed in huge quantities and made it all the way from large open top boxes, to regular open tops, to side open sticker jackets, to fully printed jackets, so whenever a CAV copy of Jaws comes up for sale at a low price, buy it and after buying a few you should be able assemble a clean, playable copy. Just stay far away from the Extended Play DiscoVision version of Jaws since its picture quality is nowhere near as good as the CAV - MCA used the same master but dropped down several generations in assembling the sides into a single videotape to make the CLV version - and they had to go down several more generations to add the side bumpers and chapter encoding (which the CAV version does not have). Combined with the poor CLV mastering and pressing, the CLV Jaws is a very soft, pale, washed out mess with black levels that look more like milky gray.

As a side note, Jaws wasn't the first title mastered for the format launch - no one knows which title was first because titles were not mastered all at once. Instead, a side would be mastered and while that side was being plated to check its quality, another title would be having its first side mastered, etc... MCA had five mastering stations at the Carson plant and they were always kept running with different titles and sides instead of just one film since MCA was also doing a lot of industrial work which the consumer releases had to take a back seat to. The DiscoVision Labs in Torrance, CA also had two mastering stations and the ability to press smaller runs of discs, so most of the non-feature, educational discs were made there and as a result, have much higher quality and fewer defects since the engineers who developed the format were overseeing the operation and it had a true clean room status.

In regards to MCA Videocassette's first VHS/Beta releases in 1980, most used the same transfers as the DiscoVision discs. I still have a number of those tapes and they've held up well and still play perfectly. MCA did have some QC problems with the very first releases because Bell & Howell, who were doing the duplication for MCA, got some bad batches of tape that shed its magnetic particles while playing. But MCA quickly took care of that problem. They also used Copy Stop on their tapes, which would cause picture rolling or bending and tearing at the top of the screen - if your TV set was a very modern one, like one of the high end Sony Trinitron's, that didn't have a vertical hold control, there was no way to correct the image short of buying one of the anti-copy stabilizers - but MCA, as did most (but not all) of the video companies, made non copy protected tapes available for those with incompatible televisions. Even during the era of Macrovision on VHS, you could get a non-Macrovision encoded copy if you complained loud enough since some televisions, notably Mitsubishi 35-inch tube sets, were horribly sensitive to it.

We LaserDisc owners were so lucky that no copy protection system was compatible with the LD format.

PostPosted: 25 Aug 2013, 16:12 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Imagine how much more successful DV would have been if the Carson plant was as well managed as the Torrance lines, and the Magnavox player was as good as the VC8010... (I just got one off eBay and it appears to work, I just need an adapter for the video out to see how well)

PostPosted: 25 Aug 2013, 16:28 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

happycube wrote:
Imagine how much more successful DV would have been if the Carson plant was as well managed as the Torrance lines, and the Magnavox player was as good as the VC8010... (I just got one off eBay and it appears to work, I just need an adapter for the video out to see how well)

The VC-8010 is a Pioneer LD-1100 clone and performs wonderfully if you get one that's properly adjusted. Improperly adjusted and you'll see crosstalk on Extended Play discs and only Duncan has the various jigs and stuff to realign it since its not at all like solid state laser players.

The 75ohm Coax to RCA adapter can be found at Radio Shack for less than two bucks - get a few of them so you can use RG-59 coax cable as your audio cable too because nothing is better. You'll just need the adapters at both ends of the cable. I don't know why Pioneer chose the coax connectors instead of RCA. The very best LaserDisc player of the era is the Pioneer VP-1000 - its picture quality is the same as the 1100 and 8010 but its sound quality is much, much better and it will play/track basically anything - if that player had come out first LaserDisc might not have gotten such a bad reputation so quickly - the Magnavox 8000 was a design that, except for the addition of Extended Play capability, hadn't changed since the player was developed in late 1975.

BTW, finding a working 8010 is a great score - does it have the remote? If not, the remotes for the Pioneer LD-1100, VP-1000 and PR-8210 will all work with it. The PR-7820 remote will NOT work, nor will the remotes for any of the solid state players.

PostPosted: 27 Aug 2013, 03:05 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

It *somewhat* works, it loses tracking around 10-12 minutes in on each disk I tried. So maybe something's gumming up the slider?

(I don't think I've got enough time to look at this, I'm pretty busy IRL with an in-town move/downsizing coming up)

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2014, 21:48 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

aheffner9268 wrote:
Has anybody ever seen Mother's Day for sale before? It is the only 2000 US release that I have never seen for sale ever

I picked up a copy recently - brand new sealed. It is opened now as I was watching it today!

I also got this related Troma release from the same seller Tromeo & Juliet: Special Edition (1996) (Uncut) [TRO-7100]

PostPosted: 06 Feb 2014, 22:51 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

aheffner9268 wrote:
Has anybody ever seen Mother's Day for sale before? It is the only 2000 US release that I have never seen for sale ever

It's a pretty rare release for sure. If anyone's looking for it, I'll consider selling mine.

End of Days has been one of the prized collectibles for quite some time. Not the greatest movie, but the A/V on it are very impressive for LD. The 6.1 DD EX soundtrack, especially, is reference material.

Page 6 of 6 [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6