It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 05:53

Page 4 of 6 [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Most valuables
PostPosted: 27 Nov 2011, 20:09 
True fan
True fan

I think this is one of my most valuables. I've never seen another copy. A 13 disc set, 6 films, 2 discs per film in gatefold jackets, and a bonus documentary disc. It was given to me by the owner of the Killiam collection of silent films, which is the source of these transfers. For a silent film lover, this is the ultimate.

Attachments:
PILF-1311 small.jpg
PILF-1311 small.jpg [ 143.56 KiB | Viewed 6434 times ]

PostPosted: 19 Dec 2011, 15:04 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

tkmedia wrote:
Based on receipts, I paid from $7-$20 each for sixth sense, u-571, tokyo raiders, x-men, crimson rivers, the cell, limey, mission impossible 2, american beauty, the beach and scream 3.

So jealous!

ratkins, I don't have a copy of that disc, but I do have a copy of the UK release of Jacob's Ladder that has that same Laserdisc Sample label. Have always wondered what it meant, I assume that it means something like LP promos for radio and reviewers.

PostPosted: 27 Dec 2011, 16:40 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

Until recently, I thought my Signature Collection box set of the The Frighteners was - hands down - the most valuable in my collection. Of course, it was finally released on small disc and is now less sought after.

Reading on this site, seems LDs have gone up in value of late and some of these in my collection seem to be worth "a bob-or-two"

The Matrix
Blade
The Cell
The Sixth Day
The Bone Collector
Bringing Out The Dead

These all came out in shops when I bought them, so payed good money for them and have them in really nice condition.
Pioneer VSX-1011 receiver
Wharfedale Evo speakers

PostPosted: 27 Dec 2011, 16:55 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

johan184 wrote:
bullruckle wrote:
Dam, I can't believe how many of you guys have copies of x-mens, cells and MI:2s :o How did you all manage to get copies?! I live in Japan, but never come across any thing close to that caliber of awesomeness :thumbup:

I feel the same, been alot all over Japan and never find anything in this caliber. I feel that most of the copies are in collectors hands in Japan and many copies went of on export on the release.

I picked up a mint copy of X-Men from a shop in Japan less than a month ago so they can still be got. I also only paid $150 for it.

PostPosted: 29 Dec 2011, 06:29 
Honest fan
Honest fan

ratkins wrote:
condorsat wrote:
My most valuable LD is Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (1921)

Took me a long time to get a copy of this one. Rudolph Valentino Silent Classic with new movie soundtrack score by Carl Davis.

That is a wonderful disc.

This has long been on my wish list. :o

"J"

PostPosted: 29 Dec 2011, 06:30 
Honest fan
Honest fan

ratkins wrote:
I think this is one of my most valuables. I've never seen another copy. A 13 disc set, 6 films, 2 discs per film in gatefold jackets, and a bonus documentary disc. It was given to me by the owner of the Killiam collection of silent films, which is the source of these transfers. For a silent film lover, this is the ultimate.

:clap: That's a swell looking cover. I've never seen it in the states. What are the transfers like?

"J"

PostPosted: 29 Dec 2011, 08:52 
True fan
True fan

gandjrarities wrote:
ratkins wrote:

:clap: That's a swell looking cover. I've never seen it in the states. What are the transfers like?

"J"

They are the Killiam Print transfers. The same as the Republic Silents but it does have the Griffith documentary that was never released on disc in the states. I won an eBay auction for the DVD box of this set that has the same cover & the seller turned out to be the owner of the Killiam Collection. We exchanged many emails about Paul Killiam and his amazing collection and she sent the laserdisc set along with the DVD set. Best eBay transaction I ever had!

PostPosted: 31 Dec 2011, 03:41 
Serious fan
Serious fan

laserdisc_fan wrote:

I picked up a mint copy of X-Men from a shop in Japan less than a month ago so they can still be got. I also only paid $150 for it.

What shop and where?!

PostPosted: 31 Dec 2011, 05:59 
I don't think I have anything too valuable. I have around 20 DTS discs, and my anamorphic edition of The Fugitive.

PostPosted: 31 Dec 2011, 07:36 
True fan
True fan

Probably my copy of Olympia I & II: Leni Riefenstahl's #338 (1938) [CC1489L]. Took me a long while to score a copy.

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2012, 02:17 
True fan
True fan

Man, reading all of the discs in the above posts really made my collection feel really underwhelming......but some of my best discs are the Beauty and the Beast Japanese Boxset, South Park: Bigger, Longer, and Uncut, and all of my other Disney CAV Boxsets(only missing a couple). I've also just ordered a copy of Mononoke Hime from a friend of mine out of Japan, thats sure to be a personal favorite of mine when it arrives

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2012, 11:09 
True fan
True fan

flcl4evr wrote:
Man, reading all of the discs in the above posts really made my collection feel really underwhelming......but some of my best discs are the Beauty and the Beast Japanese Boxset, South Park: Bigger, Longer, and Uncut, and all of my other Disney CAV Boxsets(only missing a couple). I've also just ordered a copy of Mononoke Hime from a friend of mine out of Japan, thats sure to be a personal favorite of mine when it arrives

Which Disney's do you need? I'm picking up a collection of Disney box sets this week with a player that I've wanted to own for nearly 20 years. Let me know, maybe we can work something out.

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2012, 22:42 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

The rarest LD I own is Motorcade Entertainment's disc that detailed the 3-strip imbibition Technicolor process... It contains the very first 3-strip Technicolor film "La Cucaracha" as well as numerous film trailers all printed in Technicolors IB printing process and shows what amazing transfers can be made from IB sources (contrary to the claims of some that IB prints couldn't be used for home video transfers). It has two audio commentary tracks, one detailing the Technicolor process and the other is about the trailers and short films on the disc. It also came with 35mm clips from an original 50's IB Tech print of "The Ten Commandments" as well as frames from some films printed the "modern" way and show severe fading and color shifting. Only 100 discs were pressed by Pioneer Industrial and the discs are all hand numbered. It was produced by director/producer Robert W. Haines.

I also have the stamper check discs for "The Twilight Zone", "Clerks" and a few other films, all made by Technidisc - each has a printed report detailing various measurements of the digital audio, including block error rate, number of correctable and uncorrectable errors, etc... As well as the number of video drop outs, which line and field they occur on and measurements of video S/N, chroma, etc... From the VITS signal placed in the vertical blanking on all discs. Amazingly, the player Technidisc used to run all their tests was a Pioneer CLD-1010. All these test discs are the best looking Technidisc pressings I have ever seen, unlike the junk they normally put out. The discs are easily as good looking as the best Pioneer or Kurary produced before both plants started using Faroudja's Super NTSC system on their discs. What went wrong between these check pressings and the actual press runs is anyone's guess. Even the digital sound on Technidisc pressings sounds bad. I've always wondered if Technidisc employees took pride in the discs they made? Because, if they did, the discs certainly never showed any hint of it.

PostPosted: 06 Jan 2012, 12:17 
True fan
True fan

ratkins wrote:
flcl4evr wrote:

Which Disney's do you need? I'm picking up a collection of Disney box sets this week with a player that I've wanted to own for nearly 20 years. Let me know, maybe we can work something out.

I need Snow White Box set, Alice in Wonderland Box set, Saludas Amigos/ Three Caballeros Box Set, Aladdin Japanese Box set, 101 Dalmations, Peter Pan CAV Remaster, and a couple others. Unfortunately I don't have any funds to work with till at least February, maybe we could work out a trade?

PostPosted: 06 Jan 2012, 20:24 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

If you dont find what you need with the other guy hit me up. I am always trading and have a ton of Disney Boxed sets!

PostPosted: 21 Feb 2012, 05:04 
Third post and above
Third post and above

remington wrote:
Good luck finding The Last Man On Earth/Panic In Year Zero double feature laserdisc. The picture and sound are staggering. Released in 1999 as one of the last 100 LDs in the US.

I bought a copy for $10 from a store that was going out of business. Sadly, my copy was defective. The disc for "Panic In Year Zero" had Side A on both sides of the disc!

PostPosted: 21 Feb 2012, 06:23 
rdimucci wrote:
remington wrote:
Good luck finding The Last Man On Earth/Panic In Year Zero double feature laserdisc. The picture and sound are staggering. Released in 1999 as one of the last 100 LDs in the US.

I bought a copy for $10 from a store that was going out of business. Sadly, my copy was defective. The disc for "Panic In Year Zero" had Side A on both sides of the disc!

That's both sad and incredibly hilarious.
Who knows, maybe it's worth something. :lol:

PostPosted: 21 Feb 2012, 23:52 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

disclord wrote:
I also have the stamper check discs for "The Twilight Zone", "Clerks" and a few other films, all made by Technidisc - each has a printed report detailing various measurements of the digital audio, including block error rate, number of correctable and uncorrectable errors, etc... As well as the number of video drop outs, which line and field they occur on and measurements of video S/N, chroma, etc... From the VITS signal placed in the vertical blanking on all discs.

I used to have a widescreen edition of "Empire Strikes Back" from the Technidisc Check Disc library. I do have "Schoolhouse Rock - Volume 1" and "Raise the Red Lantern". Not remotely valuable in my opinion - the discs have no labels and are in simple white jackets with writing all over them - but interesting none the less.

There are so many - and some that are near impossible to find. On this list of rare discs I would have to say the following:

Le Corbiseur (DiscoVision)
Archelogical Dating / Big Dig (DiscoVision)
Solar System / Universe (DiscoVision)
The Prince of Tides (Criterion Spine #159)
Speed Racer (Mach Go-Go-Go - 13 discs)

I don't know how much they are worth - It's all a matter of perspective I suppose.

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2012, 02:34 
Honest fan
Honest fan

knatterbuechse wrote:
Hm, most valuable... Got quite a few items in my collection like:

- The Matrix
- The Cell
- The Red Spectacles
- The Studio Ghibli Boxset
- Neon Genesis Evangelion Boxset

The Studio Ghibli box set always makes me drool when I think about it. Are you aware of the special features on that set are available elsewhere? (DVD...etc) I'd even settle for YouTube quality rips of these haha :p According to the database the special features are: Making of "Omoide Poroporo"
and Miyazaki and Kurosawa Interview

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2012, 02:43 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

limeibook86 wrote:
The Studio Ghibli box set always makes me drool when I think about it. Are you aware of the special features on that set are available elsewhere? (DVD...etc) I'd even settle for YouTube quality rips of these haha :p According to the database the special features are: Making of "Omoide Poroporo"
and Miyazaki and Kurosawa Interview

The Miyazaki/Kurosawa thing is a whole separate disc. I just wish I could find a subtitle script for it. There's also an extensive collection of Ghibli trailers & a few short subjects on the disc with On Your Mark.

Page 4 of 6 [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next