It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 02:03

Page 3 of 5 [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Movies that are better on LD, or not on DVD/BD
PostPosted: 24 Oct 2011, 13:38 
Honest fan
Honest fan

philburque46 wrote:
I have the Maple Studios release from here in Canada and it is Dolby Digital and the correct aspect ratio.

Thanks for the link. I double checked and the region B blu-ray and it is in the theatrical aspect ratio, but only includes the dolby surround soundtrack.

http://www.jbhifionline.com.au/dvd/dvd-genres/sci-fi-fantasy/capricorn-one-blu-ray/463035

Why would you do that when a great AC3 mix exists?

PostPosted: 24 Oct 2011, 21:44 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

The Crush (1993) starring Alicia Silverstone & Cary Elwes. The DVD and TV broadcasts have Alicia's character name, Darien, redubbed (badly, by other actors) with the name Adrian whenever it's spoken, after the producers were sued by the real girl director Alan Shapiro apparently based the movie on. There is also a scene where Elwes is looking at a pillow embroidered with the initials "D.F. + N.E." which was changed to "A.F. + N.E.". The laserdisc has the original undubbed track with Darien spoken and the original initials on the pillow scene.

Post subject: Wheeler & Woolsey
PostPosted: 26 Oct 2011, 23:27 
The entire Wheeler & Woolsey catalog on Laserdisc is better than the public domain copies that are on DVD. The LD(s) that were released by TCM RKO classic series are really good quality IMHO.

They were a great comedy team of the 1930's at one time as, if not more, popular as the Marx Brothers and Laurel & Hardy but they were hated by the censors and when Woolsey died, Wheeler was mishandled by the studios but made a comeback as a standup, they came from Vaudeville, and was loved by many of Hollywood elite such as Frank Sinatra and Bob Hope.

Typical Woolsey one liner below ... easy to see why they never made to Saturday morning TV in latter years.

WOMAN (coyly indicating her legs): Were you looking at these?
WOOLSEY: Madam, I'm above that. :lol:

PostPosted: 27 Oct 2011, 01:20 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Couple of picks from my own collection, correct me if I'm wrong (I don't follow digital markets much so some of the information might be outdated)...

Blood Delirium - no official DVD available
Death Warmed Up - all DVD releases are either cut or in wrong aspect ratio
Death Weekend - no official DVD available
Docteur Jekyll et Les Femmes - no official DVD available
Enter The Ninja - available on DVD only as cut version(s)
Erotic Dreams of Cleopatra - no official DVD available
Frankenstein & The Monster From Hell - not released completely uncut on DVD although longest release is missing just couple of frames
Nemesis (Japanese LD): no DVD release of this cut as far as I know
Ninja III: The Domination - not released completely uncut on DVD, dunno if there's any official releases at all
V. Madonna War - is there other DVD releases except german one which is dubbed?

PostPosted: 27 Oct 2011, 02:13 
True fan
True fan

Many of the silent films released on laser have yet to be released. Wings, the first Best Picture of Year winner, has never been released on DVD but that is changing next year. The Covered Wagon, Napoleon, Peck's Bad Boy, The Wind, The Crowd, and a few others have also never been released on DVD.

Post subject: Belinda Carlisle
PostPosted: 28 Oct 2011, 18:28 
Belinda Carlisle: Runaway Live [VALC-3184]. I rented this Laserdisc numerous times when I used to live in Misawa Japan. Great memories of getting off work ... getting a Sapporo beer out of the fridge ... cranking up the LD player and enjoying the concert.

The shop that carried it eventually closed down and had a big inventory clearance sale. When I showed up for the sale ... some lady had the disc in her hand :cry: However the Laserdisc Gods smiled on me 8-) and she put it back on the rack. I bought it and it's been with me ever since.

Anyway ... I eventually purchased the DVD ... :wtf: Poor audio/video. Strange, because the LD looks and sounds great. Who ever did the remastering job on this one ... dropped the ball big time.

Post subject: Re: Belinda Carlisle
PostPosted: 28 Oct 2011, 22:43 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

condorsat wrote:
Belinda Carlisle: Runaway Live [VALC-3184].
I eventually purchased the DVD ... :wtf: Poor audio/video. Strange, because the LD looks and sounds great. Who ever did the remastering job on this one ... dropped the ball big time.

I agree completely. Can anyone name even just one music DVD re-issue that is actually BETTER than the original laserdisc version in terms of audio and video quality?
I collect many formats and I have yet to find a better source than laserdisc. I guess that is why the bootleggers love laserdisc for source material!

PostPosted: 31 Oct 2011, 22:04 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Now, I picked up Leonard Maltin's 2011 Movie Guide some days ago and there is information about every title's home release with the help of three symbols. Just below every title these symbols usually appears. If there is a triangle it indicates that the movie is available on Vhs, if there is a circle it indicates that the movie is available on Laserdisc and if there is a half-circle it indicates if the movie is available on Dvd. It appears that it's not difficult at all to find movies that are on LD but not on Dvd (or atleast not on Dvd in the Us) with help of this guide so I would actually recommend you guys to look it up, it's a fairly common book.

Here are some movies that the book states aren't available on Dvd in the Us but on Laserdisc. I haven't looked up if all of this information is correct or not but it seems like a good source.

Alligator 2: The Mutation (1991)
All-American Murder (1992)
Alienator (1989)
Alamo Bay (1985)
The air up there (1994)
Agatha (1979)
The Adventures of Tom Sawyer (1938)
Call me (1988)
Female Fatale (1991)
The Fear Inside (1992)
The favour, the watch and the very big fish (1991)
Fast Forward (1985)
The farmer takes a wife (1953)
Family Prayers (1993)
The Fabulous Baron Munchausen (1961)
The Experts (1989, John Travolta is in it!)
The ex-mrs. Bradford (1936)
The Evil (1978)

The list goes on, and on, and on, and on...
Just ask for more if this list seems interesting. I'm actually planning to make a complete list with this book as a source. Would you like me to do it? ;)

Edit: HAHA! The book actually mentions LDDB in the guide for "Mail-order and online sources for home video". Now that's awesome! :D

PostPosted: 31 Oct 2011, 22:34 
Serious fan
Serious fan

nissling wrote:
The Evil (1978)

Umm, I can't find other than french release from database.

PostPosted: 31 Oct 2011, 22:41 
Honest fan
Honest fan

I'm a big Maltin fan and have many of his Movie Guides. He does well, but there are still a number of mistakes. I looked up one of my laserdiscs the other day and it wasn't listed as available on laserdisc. Other things to note... as the number of titles grew, he threw out movies that were made for TV or cable. Those used to be rated below average, average or above average. He still ran out of space so he cut out many movies before 1966. To see a full list of those you need to get Maltin's "Classic Movie Guide" 10,000 movies from the Silent Era through 1965. And most surprisingly to me, he has changed his ratings of movies over time. His iPad version of the full book was only released in 2009. I prefer using that as I can magnify the print so it is easier to transcribe his reviews into my database. His app will bring the iPad to its knees if you look for a specific title. I can easily search through the book much faster than the app can. To be fair its a 1600 page book.

PostPosted: 31 Oct 2011, 22:55 
Honest fan
Honest fan

You could be spending a lot of time :)
My list shows 2302 movies on Laserdisc not available on DVD as of October 2011. I get a new list once a month from the person I subscribe to his commercial Laserdisc/DVD/HD DVD/Bluray database.
I think I'd get in big trouble if I published his list. His database only covers US releases so there are quite a few more international ones.... There are usually 20-50 movies a month that get removed from the list so there will be unique Laserdisc titles for a while yet. Georgio Moroder's Metropolis is one that is getting its first DVD release in the next month or so....

PostPosted: 02 Nov 2011, 13:45 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Although inferior to the EU and Director's Cut versions the US Theatrical version of Highlander has still never been released on DVD/BD.

I'm sure that's no big loss for anyone. In my opinion the only version worth watching is the EU version; it's the same as the Director's Cut but without the butchered audio. I highly doubt it's even a Director's Cut as all the audio changes seem to merge it more into the TV series continuity which serves the Producers more than the Director.

Queen Live in Budapest is still yet to see any official form of DVD/BD release too.

Did the original version of The Abyss ever get a DVD release? I've only ever noticed the Special Editions in shops.

PostPosted: 02 Nov 2011, 15:00 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Just remembered another one; The Terminator.

Every DVD version of this film has shown the opening text as subtitles when originally it was shown as below (screencapped from my copy of the LD)

The text obscures the image but I think the subtitles are a poor substitute. If they had to remove them I'd rather they hadn't bothered with the subtitles.

I don't know if Blu Ray versions have fixed this or not.

PostPosted: 04 Nov 2011, 07:59 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

sega3dmm wrote:
Akira - Criterion CAV Edition. Presented in original color scheme and original English dub (by Streamline) is included.

Sorry for the dumb question, but what exactly do you mean by "original color scheme"?

PostPosted: 06 Nov 2011, 11:05 
Honey I Shrunk The Kids has a animated short OFF HIS ROCKERS that is not on the VHS or DVD copies. Not even the Disney Shorts website has anything about this short.

PostPosted: 07 Nov 2011, 04:37 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

naiaru wrote:
sega3dmm wrote:
Akira - Criterion CAV Edition. Presented in original color scheme and original English dub (by Streamline) is included.

Sorry for the dumb question, but what exactly do you mean by "original color scheme"?

I can't speak for Akira but depending on how a transfer or restoration is done on animation (Disney is notorious for this, sometimes for better, sometimes not), they might redo some of the colors.

If you have the Laserdisc of Disney's Beauty and the Beast and one of the DVD releases, that's a good example of colors being redone.

PostPosted: 07 Nov 2011, 20:34 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

I really can't say if it is better, but the extras on Disney's 20,000 Leagues under the Sea (Exclusive Archive Collection) differ radically from DVD version as far as I know. Much of the material isn't included on the DVD-version.

Also There is the 12 minutes longer TV-version of Star Trek: The Motion Picture. That one is also (to my knowledge) not available on DVD/Blu-Ray. PanScanned, but still interesting.

PostPosted: 08 Nov 2011, 10:19 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

ynz wrote:
Also There is the 12 minutes longer TV-version of Star Trek: The Motion Picture. That one is also (to my knowledge) not available on DVD/Blu-Ray. PanScanned, but still interesting.

Is that the director's cut? That was certainly released on DVD, not sure it's made it to bly ray though. I've heard tell of a TV cut, but I'm not aware of that even being on LD.

PostPosted: 08 Nov 2011, 14:31 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

hippiedalek wrote:
ynz wrote:

Is that the director's cut? That was certainly released on DVD, not sure it's made it to bly ray though. I've heard tell of a TV cut, but I'm not aware of that even being on LD.

It's a cut made for tv and runs 144 minutes. The extra scenes (12 minutes total) were inserted without approval of director Robert Wise, so it's definitely not a dir. cut.

http://www.lddb.com/laserdisc/23228/LV-8858-2A/Star-Trek-I:-The-Motion-Picture-(1979)

Although originally filmed in scope (2.40:1), for some reason the film actually isn't too bad to watch in panscan!

The later dir. cut. did include some of the extra scenes, but only runs 136 minutes (or something like that). But I disliked the new effects, so I only watched it once.

Strangely, the BluRay-release is the old theatrical cut (132 min.). Apparently the new (dreadful!) CGI-efects were never rendered in HD. Too bad :clap:

PostPosted: 08 Nov 2011, 16:32 
True fan
True fan

Nighthawks (with Stallone), not the "other" one. This is a rarely talked about (and important) soundtrack issue. Disco-vision put out a pan & scan (not good) ld with poor video quality. However, with all those negs it is still the only laserdisc to have the correct soundtrack when Stallone enters the nightclub. The Stones song Brown Sugar is what you will hear which adds realism and solidifies the scene. I'm not sure about VHS but every dvd release and re-release is missing that song. It has been replaced with some crappy generic music, probably due to a copyright issue. So, I keep it for that reason, as well it is a pretty good movie. I'm waiting for a definitive edition.

Page 3 of 5 [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next