It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 07:01

Page 1 of 3 [ 43 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Demo or Test discs post your collection
PostPosted: 28 Jun 2012, 19:58 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

here are pictures of some demo and test discs i have picked up over the years, i did have more
but had to sell some due to space etc.
here is a Discovision Cadillac roundtable disc Cadillac: Service Roundtable Videodisc (1980) [GM-230], it has a unique sleeve that opens more like a portfolio with a flap.

Attachments:
discovision roundtable.jpg
discovision roundtable.jpg [ 118.05 KiB | Viewed 6178 times ]

Last edited by rein-o on 28 Jun 2012, 20:12, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Demo or Test discs
PostPosted: 28 Jun 2012, 20:00 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

another Cadillac demo disc Cadillac Roundtable: To the Last Detail/A Personal Thing (1985) [GM-452], has a really unique program about disneyworld.

Attachments:
roundtable.jpg
roundtable.jpg [ 254.63 KiB | Viewed 6176 times ]

PostPosted: 28 Jun 2012, 20:04 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

the Planetary images volume II
full of CAV still images from outer space.

Attachments:
planetary.jpg
planetary.jpg [ 196.44 KiB | Viewed 6176 times ]

PostPosted: 28 Jun 2012, 20:08 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Cleopatra test disc of Cleopatra (1963) [1143-80], each in a sleeve with a data sheet giving info on the pressing.

Attachments:
cleopatra test set 1.jpg
cleopatra test set 1.jpg [ 236.67 KiB | Viewed 6175 times ]

PostPosted: 28 Jun 2012, 20:09 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

closeup of one disc and sleeve

Attachments:
cleopatra test 3.jpg
cleopatra test 3.jpg [ 134.65 KiB | Viewed 6175 times ]

PostPosted: 28 Jun 2012, 20:10 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

closeup of mint marks on side 5

Attachments:
cleopatra test 4.jpg
cleopatra test 4.jpg [ 151.09 KiB | Viewed 6174 times ]

PostPosted: 28 Jun 2012, 21:01 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

rein-o wrote:
closeup of mint marks on side 5

I have 50 of those master Technidisc pressings - I can't read the disc print out on yours but does it list the CLD-1010 as the player used to test the disc? All of mine do. I'm surprised that Technidisc used a standard consumer player for so long - some of mine are from 1995, like Clerks:Special Edition - I have 2 different master pressings of that title - they are done about 2 weeks apart and one is much sharper than the other, with less noise, but the digital sound readings are, for all intents and purposes, the same. The FM analog audio tracks sound identical too.

It's amazing how many of those master pressings made it out of Technidisc when they shut down - except for some early DiscoVision, no other pressing plant as had that happen. Pioneer probably destroyed all theirs and if its anything like the record business, selling it would be illegal due to Pioneer not holding copyright. I always wonder how many titles got mastered and a test press made but never fully manufactured or not distributed - and what those titles were.

PostPosted: 28 Jun 2012, 21:08 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

rein-o wrote:
closeup of one disc and sleeve

My copy of Cleopatra is a Pioneer pressing - I didn't realize Technidisc had pressed it too. I'm glad I have the Pioneer pressing since Technidisc, even at their best, never made discs up to the standards of Pioneer and the others. My copy has the standard Fox disc label, not the Image label.

Did some of the Cleopatra box sets come with discs with this labeling?

PostPosted: 28 Jun 2012, 21:17 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

rein-o wrote:
the Planetary images volume II
full of CAV still images from outer space.

What is the color quality like on this pressing? I ask because up until about 1990, 3M didn't press discs with full color saturation. That was due to their filtering not being adequate to prevent interference between the color subcarrier and the FM analog audio carriers on fully saturated images. So 3M pressings tended to look quite pastel compared to Pioneer. The first 3M pressing I ever saw that had highly saturated colors was Dick Tracy, which looked quite good but tended to crosstalk since 3M didn't use CAA Extended Play mastering.

Post subject: Re: Demo or Test discs post your collection
PostPosted: 28 Jun 2012, 21:45 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

yes, they use the CLD-1010 on mine, i found this on the bay years ago, i guess around 2004?
i just picked up the box set of cleopatra and it is the pioneer pressing with fox also, so i guess this was made by both.

as for the planetary disc, i've had this since around 2000 it's all still step images, part are for apollo 14, it was taken from a print, so on the side you see the film holes.

the color parts are really strong and have some great color images of earth and ships landing on the moon.

PostPosted: 28 Jun 2012, 21:56 
Serious fan
Serious fan

I'll take photos of the discs later, but I also have some GM discs from the good old Discovision days:

They all also open with a flap at the side like those Cadillac discs. The other neat thing is that if the disc label says side 1, it is referring to that side o the disc, not the flip side. I guess these were all meant to be played in an industrial player with the laser on the top, rather than reading from below.

PostPosted: 28 Jun 2012, 22:12 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

rein-o wrote:
yes, they use the CLD-1010 on mine, i found this on the bay years ago, i guess around 2004?
i just picked up the box set of cleopatra and it is the pioneer pressing with fox also, so i guess this was made by both.

as for the planetary disc, i've had this since around 2000 it's all still step images, part are for apollo 14, it was taken from a print, so on the side you see the film holes.

the color parts are really strong and have some great color images of earth and ships landing on the moon.

I got my Technidisc master pressings on eBay in the summer of 2002 as a group of 50 for $25. There were no other bidders and the shipping cost me more than my bid. But, they were well worth it. There's The Twilight Zone tv show discs and Better Off Dead and lots of other movies.

The LDDB lists the Celopatra box as being a Technidisc pressing, so I guess we'll both have to add our pressings to the database. I got mine from Duff's Flix for, I believe, 4 dollars last month when he had a no shipping charges sale on his dollar titles. I think I got 40 pounds of discs - I felt RICH!

That Planetary disc is cool, I'm totally jealous since I love stuff like that - I think Greg Streeter used to sell it via his Starship Industries mail order LaserDisc store. He sold lots of titles like that and they went for $499 and higher.

PostPosted: 28 Jun 2012, 22:22 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

philburque46 wrote:
They all also open with a flap at the side like those Cadillac discs. The other neat thing is that if the disc label says side 1, it is referring to that side o the disc, not the flip side. I guess these were all meant to be played in an industrial player with the laser on the top, rather than reading from below.

Yep, they were meant to be played on DiscoVision's PR-7820, the only player ever made that was 100% designed by the original DiscoVision engineers and built to all the original specifications including reading the disc from the top down and moving the disc, not the laser to achieve tracking. Plus it was the first player to use a CCD chip for time base correction and not a tangential mirror, so it gave much more accurate and stable color reproduction compared to mirror based units.

When those discs are played on the 7820 and execute the code, it's amazing how advanced they were with the various menus and such. It's a shame the technology was never used in consumer players - imagine what Criterion could have done with it! But, the RAM and processor needed were expensive back then, pushing it out of the realm of consumer players. I have two 7820's, one is a DiscoVision model and the other is a Pioneer Model 3. The DiscoVision one has been updated with the 7820 upgrade they offered which improves the search time to 3 seconds and allows instant searches of 100 frames or less.

PostPosted: 28 Jun 2012, 22:37 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

disclord wrote:
I got my Technidisc master pressings on eBay in the summer of 2002 as a group of 50 for $25. There were no other bidders and the shipping cost me more than my bid. But, they were well worth it. There's The Twilight Zone tv show discs and Better Off Dead and lots of other movies.

The LDDB lists the Celopatra box as being a Technidisc pressing, so I guess we'll both have to add our pressings to the database. I got mine from Duff's Flix for, I believe, 4 dollars last month when he had a no shipping charges sale on his dollar titles. I think I got 40 pounds of discs - I felt RICH!

That Planetary disc is cool, I'm totally jealous since I love stuff like that - I think Greg Streeter used to sell it via his Starship Industries mail order LaserDisc store. He sold lots of titles like that and they went for $499 and higher.

wow, i can't believe you got all of them for that little, i think i paid $12 for mine, i'm glad i have 1 as it's cool but have to be careful due to space limits.

so greg streeter was selling these discs, i take it he was getting them made?
it dosen't have the look on the lables of a mass production disc.
again i think it was under 20 bucks but that was years ago, i was collecting all space discs, sold all the rest as they were normal production discs but kept this one as i always thought it was rare.

PostPosted: 28 Jun 2012, 22:38 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

philburque46 wrote:

is there a muppet program on this one?
or is it just the picture.

PostPosted: 28 Jun 2012, 22:59 
Serious fan
Serious fan

rein-o wrote:
philburque46 wrote:

is there a muppet program on this one?
or is it just the picture.

The entire program is acted out by Muppets, or very Muppet looking puppets. The wife is looking at buying a car, so she and her husband go to the dealership to look at cars, and then the husband narrates while footage of the cars on the road is shown.

I also like that these discs are clearly marked as GM Canada, and even feature both English and French audio, one on each channel.

PostPosted: 28 Jun 2012, 23:05 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

rein-o wrote:
disclord wrote:

wow, i can't believe you got all of them for that little, i think i paid $12 for mine, i'm glad i have 1 as it's cool but have to be careful due to space limits.

so greg streeter was selling these discs, i take it he was getting them made?
it dosen't have the look on the lables of a mass production disc.
again i think it was under 20 bucks but that was years ago, i was collecting all space discs, sold all the rest as they were normal production discs but kept this one as i always thought it was rare.

No, he bought them to resell. They were made typically for schools and colleges, thus the low pressing numbers and lack of 'polished' look. Streeter always had interesting stuff, like he bought all of Philips copies of Leonard Nemoy Demonstrates Magnavision, he had the Dragons Lair and Space Ace discs for 20 bucks as well as all the Inedco discs (he bought all their stock from them when they shut down). He was a great source for that kind of stuff. I still have his first catalog as well as many of his newsletter/catalog updates which he called the LaserBeam Newsletter. Blaine Young (Blam) worked for him for a while in the 80's.

PostPosted: 29 Jun 2012, 01:23 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

philburque46 wrote:
The entire program is acted out by Muppets, or very Muppet looking puppets. The wife is looking at buying a car, so she and her husband go to the dealership to look at cars, and then the husband narrates while footage of the cars on the road is shown.

I also like that these discs are clearly marked as GM Canada, and even feature both English and French audio, one on each channel.

that's really cool, the one GM disc i have is acted out by 2 comedians with a skit.
i had a corvette disc that had english and spanish but sold that years ago.

PostPosted: 29 Jun 2012, 01:24 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

so he just bought out all of the limited discs and sold them over the years.
pretty cool.

PostPosted: 29 Jun 2012, 01:34 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

rein-o wrote:
so he just bought out all of the limited discs and sold them over the years.
pretty cool.

Yep, it made him a great source in the 80's to get things that were not for sale, demo or otherwise hard to get or oddball. Check out his website because he still sells LaserDisc's and has lots of the odd stuff, like the Inedco titles. His URL is www.starlaser.com.

Page 1 of 3 [ 43 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next