It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 11:18

Page 1 of 3 [ 60 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Rollercoaster 1977 mono
PostPosted: 10 Jul 2012, 02:50 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

Just brought Rollercoaster another one of those 70's disaster films from Jennings Lang Earthquake and Airport. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0076636/fullcredits#cast

A bomber holds amusement parks for ransom if they don't pay up or another Rollercoaster and people will be blown up.

Rollercoaster (1977) [41397]

Post subject: Re: Rollercoaster 1977 mono
PostPosted: 10 Jul 2012, 03:06 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

laserbite34 wrote:
Just brought Rollercoaster another one of those 70's disaster films from Jennings Lang Earthquake and Airport. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0076636/fullcredits#cast

A bomber holds amusement parks for ransom if they don't pay up or another Rollercoaster and people will be blown up.

Rollercoaster (1977) [41397]

MCA used the non Sensurround mix on this disc, unlike the DVD that has the Sensurround track. Contrary to what has been listed elsewhere, Rollercoaster was a mono film, as were Midway and Battlestar - only Earthquake was stereo. After Earthquake, Sensurround Mod II was reengineered to carry the rumble on the optical track using DBX II noise reduction and the control tones were used to pan the Sensurround between the front and back of the theater. MCA removed the Academy optical roll off giving Mod II Sensurround prints a frequency response of 16Hz to 16kHz and a dynamic range of 85db thanks to the DBX. MCA attempted to compete with Dolby and sell Sensurround as a high fidelity optical sound format that could do surround effects and special effects. Obviously, they failed.

PostPosted: 10 Jul 2012, 03:25 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

I'm aware it was released with a sensurround in selected cinemas having seen it only on TV or youtube. Maybe Universal might have it re-mixed along with original theatrical.

Maybe a dbx subharmonic synthesizer might beef up the subwoofer for extra deep rumble. The rumble effects produced on most films is usually narrow ranged with random noise that looks or sounds like pink noise playing on the subwoofer.

PostPosted: 10 Jul 2012, 03:45 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

laserbite34 wrote:
I'm aware it was released with a sensurround in selected cinemas having seen it only on TV or youtube. Maybe Universal might have it re-mixed along with original theatrical.

Maybe a dbx subharmonic synthesizer might beef up the subwoofer for extra deep rumble. The rumble effects produced on most films is usually narrow ranged with random noise that looks or sounds like pink noise playing on the subwoofer.

No, Universal made Sensurround and non-Sensurround prints once they started using DBX, since undecoded DBX isn't compatible without decoding. The Sensurround rumble generator used to record the optical Sensurround version generated a pseudorandom rumble from 16 Hz to around 100 Hz. Rollercoaster was unique in that they used a then-new microphone to record actual low frequency rumble from the rides and enhanced it with the rumble generator. American Cinematographer published an a detailed article on the changes to Sensurround and the mixing of Rollercoaster. Only the DVD has ever used the rumble track on home video. The LaserDisc is the standard non-Sensurround mix that contains no rumble or deep bass. I have Sensurround control box blueprints, installation manuals, mixing notes, designer interviews, etc... I wrote the majority of the article about Sensurround on Wikipedia, including the variations and different print formats available for each film.

PostPosted: 10 Jul 2012, 04:25 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

Reading or rather re-reading though the Sensurrond wick page. It made a big impression on its effect with Earthquake something I can't easily forget seeing it 3 to 4 times left me, with tinnitus.

How would you go about improving the effect of Rollercoaster if you didn't have any of the devices used for the theatrical exhibition?

Which DVD has the Sensurround region 1 or 2?

Watching it on youtube and with lead attached to the subwoofer TP using format 60 non-sync range reaches down to 30Hz on Spectrum Lab on most scenes but no lower.

Rollercoaster 1977
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3xGIs_A ... el&list=UL

Sensurround music effects by Lalo Schifrin he did the "Dirty Harry" scores.

I noticed on the Dolby CP65 when managing to feed Dolby Stereo analouge though the optical input the curve on the mono academy drops off around 4KHz.

So did the Sensurround employ any X-curve and how did they tune the system any EQ or other?

On the Earthquake DVD Dolby 5.1 region 2, I managed to extend with tweaking the parametric EQ for the LFE.1 while looking at it on Spectrum lab just a shy below 20Hz, normally it cuts off around 30Hz.

I read that, Disney came across the idea if the sound plays slower it produces deep low frequencies.
and vice verse speed it up it produces high pitched sounds.

If I placed a load of smaller subs on the back wall or stack them up along the back of the room, and place signal-gate along with active-crossover I could set the playback at given point to trigger the subs below a certain frequency to rumble behind the seating.

When Harry gets small doses of electric shocks the pluses are around 104Hz 155Hz its a little late to turn up now, got the DCX ABC level at -15.0db so I can turn the master fader up, later on I'll re-set it back to 0.0db.

PostPosted: 10 Jul 2012, 05:32 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Don't forget to watch Rollercoaster a 2nd time with the unofficial fan commentary which can be downloaded here:
http://site.coasterradio.com/commentary.html

It was designed to be played along with the DVD, but can work with the LD as well.
It is a very entertaining commentary (both insightful and funny)!

PostPosted: 10 Jul 2012, 05:41 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

nems wrote:
Don't forget to watch Rollercoaster a 2nd time with the unofficial fan commentary which can be downloaded here:
http://site.coasterradio.com/commentary.html

It was designed to be played along with the DVD, but can work with the LD as well.
It is a very entertaining commentary (both insightful and funny)!

Wow that's cool I'll check it out later in the day been up all night watching it on youtube :mrgreen: three times. I like the photography nice and clear and no CGI effects of the Rollercoasters well the first one on the opening looked a bit like large scale model, when it derailed!

PostPosted: 10 Jul 2012, 08:50 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

disclord wrote:
laserbite34 wrote:

No, Universal made Sensurround and non-Sensurround prints once they started using DBX, since undecoded DBX isn't compatible without decoding. The Sensurround rumble generator used to record the optical Sensurround version generated a pseudorandom rumble from 16 Hz to around 100 Hz. Rollercoaster was unique in that they used a then-new microphone to record actual low frequency rumble from the rides and enhanced it with the rumble generator. American Cinematographer published an a detailed article on the changes to Sensurround and the mixing of Rollercoaster. Only the DVD has ever used the rumble track on home video. The LaserDisc is the standard non-Sensurround mix that contains no rumble or deep bass. I have Sensurround control box blueprints, installation manuals, mixing notes, designer interviews, etc... I wrote the majority of the article about Sensurround on Wikipedia, including the variations and different print formats available for each film.

I'm once again amazed at the technical knowledge of the members of this forum.

BTW, this movie sounds terrible. I'll have to check it out.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 10 Jul 2012, 12:53 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

Order has been confirmed now waiting conformation on been posted out. I guess it might be rumbling towards the end of the week.

In what way does it sound terrible? I think its damn good film mix of effects score and dialogue mixing.

PostPosted: 10 Jul 2012, 15:59 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

I've synced up the youtube video with commentary faded the sound down a bit on the film, so it seems like, their watching the film, in the background and its rather entertaining to watch and listen to.

So Jennings Lang got shot in the balls in the 50's :lol: that's damn funny, ouch.

PostPosted: 10 Jul 2012, 16:14 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

laserbite34 wrote:
Reading or rather re-reading though the Sensurrond wick page. It made a big impression on its effect with Earthquake something I can't easily forget seeing it 3 to 4 times left me, with tinnitus.

How would you go about improving the effect of Rollercoaster if you didn't have any of the devices used for the theatrical exhibition?

Which DVD has the Sensurround region 1 or 2?

Watching it on youtube and with lead attached to the subwoofer TP using format 60 non-sync range reaches down to 30Hz on Spectrum Lab on most scenes but no lower.

Rollercoaster 1977
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3xGIs_A ... el&list=UL

Sensurround music effects by Lalo Schifrin he did the "Dirty Harry" scores.

I noticed on the Dolby CP65 when managing to feed Dolby Stereo analouge though the optical input the curve on the mono academy drops off around 4KHz.

So did the Sensurround employ any X-curve and how did they tune the system any EQ or other?

On the Earthquake DVD Dolby 5.1 region 2, I managed to extend with tweaking the parametric EQ for the LFE.1 while looking at it on Spectrum lab just a shy below 20Hz, normally it cuts off around 30Hz.

I read that, Disney came across the idea if the sound plays slower it produces deep low frequencies.
and vice verse speed it up it produces high pitched sounds.

If I placed a load of smaller subs on the back wall or stack them up along the back of the room, and place signal-gate along with active-crossover I could set the playback at given point to trigger the subs below a certain frequency to rumble behind the seating.

When Harry gets small doses of electric shocks the pluses are around 104Hz 155Hz its a little late to turn up now, got the DCX ABC level at -15.0db so I can turn the master fader up, later on I'll re-set it back to 0.0db.

There's no way to improve the sound on the LaserDisc of Rollercoaster since its the non-Sensurround mix with no deep bass. Both region 1 and 2 DVD's have 1.1 mono tracks with the Sensurround rumble on the LFE, but it's not as deep as it should be due to Universal using a mag reproducer that wasn't designed for the extended low end of the rumble. Both Midway and Battlestar are also 1.1 mono mixes on DVD but also contain the control tones so you'll hear them when you shouldn't be. One big problem with the DVD Sensurround mixes is that they didn't use the surround effect of Sensurround, which could have easily been done. The Earthquake 5.1 mix comes closest to duplicating the theatrical effect, but still isn't right and it doesnt imcrease the main program volume by 8db at certain points as the Sensurround showings did. The 3.1 Sensurround track on Earthquakes DVD is just junk and was obviously put together by someone who had no idea how the system worked. The region 2 DVD of Earthquake doesn't have as deep a rumble as the region 1 due to the 4% PAL speed up. It's the same with Rollercoaster.

Here's something interesting though. If you own the widescreen LaserDisc of Midway, it has the DBX encoded Sensurround trailer - played normally, it sounds terrible, but decode it with DBX II and you'll hear how Sensurround sounded in its Mod II form, just without the surround effects. The movie itself has the rumble but isnt DBX encoded, so you don't get the large dynamic range doubling of the rumble like the DBX decoded trailer. The DBX system was used to compress the films main soundtrack, then the rumble was mixed over that without being DBX encoded, so when played back with DBX decoding, the film sound was restored to normal and the rumble, sice it wasnt dbx compressed, was doubled in loudness. The control tones then were used to activate the front or back Sensurround horns. With Dolby 5.1 the surround effect could have been duplicated with all the Sensurround films.

Horn-loaded subs are really the only transducers that can reproduce Sensurround correctly due to their ability to move massive amounts of air. Modern Sensurround showings of Earthquake and the other films have failed to duplicate the incredible power of Sensurround because they didn't use horns and they didn't use the surround effect of Sensurround either, placing all subs in the front.

People who have only seen films in modern THX theaters have no idea how impressive Sensurround was. Nothing else has ever come close to its power and infrasonic output. It's a shame the horns couldn't have been used for Jurassic Park for a modern, digital Sensurround.

PostPosted: 10 Jul 2012, 16:53 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

This is good topic that's bound to have positive and negative views, lets keep it going. :)

The podcast keeps dropping out or stopping if I move away from youtube to, here. I’m just listening to the film while watching Coma as I’ve got the main AVR set on different audio mode.

So, no way of doing it for the home. Well it really wasn’t intended for the home. Maybe Universal didn’t want a flood of letters complaining. (Your film blew up my speakers).

Since Sensurround left cinema and with huge 20 year or so gap, only two THX cinemas in the UK kinder reminded me of Sensurround the earthquake planet rumble in STAR TREK III at the Empire was pressing on my body all the lows of rumbles and Foley kicks when Kirk, kicks Kruge off the cliff. “I have had enough of you” I was feeling the insane earthquake rumble and the kick of the boot to the face.

Well maybe a petition to get Universal to duplicate the Sensurround into 5.1 or work around it to find a way otherwise what is the point of bluray? Up till now it hasn’t proved much to me to knocking my socks off. And calling, bluray cinematic is damn cheeky.

If Earthquake played in smaller cinema with Sensurround what would the required SPL db level, be would it be less due to smaller 50 seat cinema? 120db left me with tinnitus thank goodness its mild tinnitus that comes and goes. At present now, its relaxed I can’t hear it, and days when kicks in it lasts days and drives me nuts.

You know I haven't use the Puck transducers in months as they rattle the cinema seats silly :mrgreen: and I'm trying to find way where I can only feel the lows not hear the seats rattling as its rather distraction.

produce new lows of infersonic in the room not sure neighbours would like that. Also tightening down the room so nothing rattles or buzzes. I get issues with lows around 30 60 or 80 that needs something securing tightly!

Playing random pink noise or single spot sine waves to see what rattles and where it is is often hard to find as you get near to it, if you happen to have wooden floor the pressure of your weight changes it, and you back away and you hear the buzz/rattle again.

My windows don't rattle only the cupboard in the hallway and the letterbox, but I sorted the letterbox out with some blu-tack stuck on the inside so it doesn't dance around. :mrgreen:

I might go for the region 1 DVD of Rollercoaster after this, week around next week. So how does the 1.1 mix sound does the rumble kick in with the correct start time, as it would have in the cinema.

I think I have Dolby 1.1 not sure if its on THE THING DVD one of the sub menus for the extras with music playing, I'll have to put it on check it, it might be 2.1?
Edit: checked it no its 2.1 indicated on the AVR but its playing in Dolby pro-logic, strange? Also nothing on the LFE.1 its ether an encoding issue at the authoring studio.

PostPosted: 10 Jul 2012, 17:38 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

The In-70mm site has had a good topics of articles on Sensurround over the years.

"Earthquake" at the Schauburg
http://www.in70mm.com/news/2010/earthqu ... /index.htm

Sensurround @ the Schauburg (open of the link opens a looping trailer that is cool for the Sensurround fans).
http://www.in70mm.com/news/2010/sensurround/index.htm

Review: "Earthquake" in Sensurround
http://www.in70mm.com/news/2008/sensurround/index.htm

…in Sensurround
“Earth-Shattering” - A new dimension to the motion picture
http://www.in70mm.com/news/2011/in_sens ... /index.htm

Main menus with lots more articles.
http://www.in70mm.com/library/process/s ... /index.htm

Review: "Earthquake" in Sensurround (look to the bottom of the page for video).
http://www.in70mm.com/news/2008/sensurround/index.htm

PostPosted: 10 Jul 2012, 18:00 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

laserbite34 wrote:
This is good topic that's bound to have positive and negative views, lets keep it going. :)

The podcast keeps dropping out or stopping if I move away from youtube to, here. I’m just listening to the film while watching Coma as I’ve got the main AVR set on different audio mode.

So, no way of doing it for the home. Well it really wasn’t intended for the home. Maybe Universal didn’t want a flood of letters complaining. (Your film blew up my speakers).

Since Sensurround left cinema and with huge 20 year or so gap, only two THX cinemas in the UK kinder reminded me of Sensurround the earthquake planet rumble in STAR TREK III at the Empire was pressing on my body all the lows of rumbles and Foley kicks when Kirk, kicks Kruge off the cliff. “I have had enough of you” I was feeling the insane earthquake rumble and the kick of the boot to the face.

Well maybe a petition to get Universal to duplicate the Sensurround into 5.1 or work around it to find a way otherwise what is the point of bluray? Up till now it hasn’t proved much to me to knocking my socks off. And calling, bluray cinematic is damn cheeky.

If Earthquake played in smaller cinema with Sensurround what would the required SPL db level, be would it be less due to smaller 50 seat cinema? 120db left me with tinnitus thank goodness its mild tinnitus that comes and goes. At present now, its relaxed I can’t hear it, and days when kicks in it lasts days and drives me nuts.

You know I haven't use the Puck transducers in months as they rattle the cinema seats silly :mrgreen: and I'm trying to find way where I can only feel the lows not hear the seats rattling as its rather distraction.

produce new lows of infersonic in the room not sure neighbours would like that. Also tightening down the room so nothing rattles or buzzes. I get issues with lows around 30 60 or 80 that needs something securing tightly!

Playing random pink noise or single spot sine waves to see what rattles and where it is is often hard to find as you get near to it, if you happen to have wooden floor the pressure of your weight changes it, and you back away and you hear the buzz/rattle again.

My windows don't rattle only the cupboard in the hallway and the letterbox, but I sorted the letterbox out with some blu-tack stuck on the inside so it doesn't dance around. :mrgreen:

I might go for the region 1 DVD of Rollercoaster after this, week around next week. So how does the 1.1 mix sound does the rumble kick in with the correct start time, as it would have in the cinema.

I think I have Dolby 1.1 not sure if its on THE THING DVD one of the sub menus for the extras with music playing, I'll have to put it on check it, it might be 2.1?
Edit: checked it no its 2.1 indicated on the AVR but its playing in Dolby pro-logic, strange? Also nothing on the LFE.1 its ether an encoding issue at the authoring studio.

I posted an in depth review of the DVD of Earthquake on Amazon that details its shortcomings and how universal could have encoded it correctly to DVD - and provided a non-Sensurround track for those without systems to handle it.the URL to my review is:
http://www.amazon.com/Earthquake-Charlton-Heston/dp/B000ETRA5U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1341938252&sr=8-1&keywords=Earthquake

It's the 2nd review by P.T. Chamberlain. It is rather long (that's what she said)
All Dolby Digital decoders can process 1.1 soundtracks although it violates the AC-3 encoding spec. Just be sure to turn off any bass management so the bass from the main soundtrack isn't reproduced from the subwoofer.

I know a guy in Australia who built a Sensurround rumble generator and two horns - he's rattled the windows of neighbors houses! Warner Bros Megasound used large horns for deep bass, but they generated it differently - it was used on Altered States, Outland, Superman II, Wolfen and the 70mm reissue of The Exorcist. Not many theaters installed it. It's too bad Fox didn't adopt Sensurround like they were planning with Alien.

Oh, no matter the size of the theater, the Sensurround system was adjusted to generate 16Hz at 110 to 120db in the middle of the theater - it had to in order to create the correct effect of movement. With Battlestar Galactica they used the infrasonic sound panned quickly from back to front to give the feel of rushing forward during Viper launches. And when the Atlantia blew up, they used it to generate wind type effects. It was SO impressive - an experience not to be forgotten.

The Academy Theater in Hollywood has two of the large W-horns under the screen for their special effect subwoofers, but they are not always turned on since infrasonic bass can make some people feel physically ill. It is also good for generating a sense of fear - Alien 3 had a test mix that used high levels of infrasonic bass and was test screened at the Academy Theater - it caused some audience members to s**t their pants, so it was remixed to remove the infrasonic bass. The sound mixers on the special features of the Alien 3 set talk about mixing it that way and the problems it generated.

PostPosted: 10 Jul 2012, 18:45 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

Playing Earthquake R2 now at soft level 8mins is bit too much!

Even at softer level on the spectrum lab the JBL 18” is reaching down to 10Hz with a little extra cuts and few boasts in the lower register 20Hz and 25Hz at mild level the sub holds up.

The stool is for my cat, he like front stool row. :mrgreen:

Is this, actually been released this year or it should be in 2014 as that would mark the 40th anniversary of Earthquake and the birth of Sensurround. I think read the review on Amazon two years ago. Still insightful reading to fill the ole noodle with information. :thumbup:

No doubt that Universal bluray will be rush job, grab the master that produced the DVD and make quick money and suckers out of consumers mark my words...Otherwise it would have extras to rumble around for 2 days worth, plus original Sensurround and I bet its rendered with Sensurr-DNR-ound. That isn't going to make a fool out of me. I'm happy with the R2 DVD and Laserdisc. :)

Also the artwork for the bluray is the same as this, later R1 re-issue.

I loath the artwork for the R2 DVD cover it looks dreadful. I like the artwork on the Laserdisc as that is the closest to the cinema poster.

http://www.lddb.com/laserdisc/05864/420 ... uake-(1974)

PostPosted: 10 Jul 2012, 19:39 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

Now in startling new dimension Sensurcat. :mrgreen: I get to watch Earthquake while my cat grooms himself for 20 mins.

Chapter 2 into chapter 3 doesn't rumble high enough over LCR as it does in chapter 6, 25m.30s which is mostly in the centre channel.

Chapter 8 its loud over LCR and mild on the surrounds. When everyone rushes for the elevator the rumble on the LFE.1 fades out as soon as the doors close. When the rumble returns and subtitled on DVD as (New, Deeper Rumble) at 54m.44s :lol: what's that suppose to mean? Its played higher over LCR and softer in the surrounds that carries a reverberant like echo when listening to the surrounds on their own. The LFE.1 cuts back in at 54m.57s I guess to give the ear a moments pause to recover from the pressure.

PostPosted: 10 Jul 2012, 20:35 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

Direct from the subwoofer TP on the Dolby CP65.

Its mostly centred in the warm spots that I can easily reduce on parametric EQ.

PostPosted: 10 Jul 2012, 20:50 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

Playing the Laserdisc side 2 chapter 21, on format 60, using the OBE its a bit hard to get mirrored comparison between this and the DVD unless I use one of the LCR TP.

The Laserdisc has slight bit more grant in the the rumble tracks. All the OBE is doing is reproducing what a good set of LCR can produce down to 40Hz or best 35Hz or in some custom insulations maybe 20Hz.

PostPosted: 10 Jul 2012, 22:32 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

That's not a Blu-ray release pictured. It's just new "anniversary" packaging of the standard DVD. Earthquake hasn't been announced for Blu-ray release yet.

PostPosted: 10 Jul 2012, 23:07 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

disclord wrote:
That's not a Blu-ray release pictured. It's just new "anniversary" packaging of the standard DVD. Earthquake hasn't been announced for Blu-ray release yet.

Oh, that's a rather misleading cover for it then. I think some serious fans should get petition together for the Sensurround box-set in 2014.

1 no DNR to be used keep it gritty and grainy!
2 no EE it fakes the brightness/sharpness of the picture film doesn't use nor should video use it!
3 duel sound formats Dolby TrueHD for the Dolby fans and dtsHDMA for dts fans.
4 original sensurround theatrical release mix 35mm/70mm / DVD re-mix / new 7.1 mix that should be created to use the two rear back as an overhead and below surround with simple re-plugging in the home. So when objects fall lose from ceilings in the film they buckle and crack overhead then crash down with below surround with startling frighten impact!
5 bonus hours that goes into days for each film! Documentary of the origins and begins of Sensurround past and present.
6 original theatrical artwork (none of that cheep crappy artwork we've been getting for years).
7 no botch ups of aspect ratios!
8 no over boasting of gamma levels or mucking around with the colour, keep it mirrored to the release prints.
9 audio commentaries of any cast members and crew
10 isolated scores in Dolby 5.1 for all films with audio commentary by the composers when no score is playing.

11 would you like to add another to this? :mrgreen:

Page 1 of 3 [ 60 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next