It is currently 18 Apr 2024, 03:28

Page 4 of 9 [ 177 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Your experiences with Laser Rot
PostPosted: 26 Jan 2012, 01:36 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I had a handful of 3M titles rot - From the early Digital Sound era. "Dirty Dancing" and "Robocop" if I recall. Pioneer USA from 1982 thru 1984 were hit and miss. Anything from what I call "Technicisc I" was awful - these being "Greystoke", "Bolero", "Girls Just Want to Have Fun", "Tuff Turf", etc. "Technidisc II" is generally pretty good, but not great. These would be titles like "Good Morning, Vietnam" and "Suspect". "Technidisc III" is the bulk of their product from 1991(ish) on. Their stuff is the best Technidisc ever produced. Mitsubishi from Japan had some rot problems - "Star Wars Trilogy", "Beauty and the Beast - WiP". DADC/Sony was terrible at the end. I look at the mint markings - typically anything below LDxx-002700 will be generally pretty good. Between LDxx-002700 and LDxx-03200 it is hit-and-miss. I was finally able to get a good copy of "Two if By Sea". Anything over LDxx-003200 is probably total junk. I have never found really good clean copies of "Starship Troopers", "Air Force One", "Striptease" or "The Devil's Own". I've yet to find a good "Johnny Mnemonic" which is LDVS-002780. I was eventually successful in finding a good "Out to Sea" (LDAC-003587) and "Ace Ventura: When Nature Calls (LDVS-002881)

PostPosted: 30 Jan 2012, 11:50 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

Hey gents, the worst rotters i came across was Leon the professional and Ace Ventura 2. I had tried picking up another copy of Leon but found rot on that disc. its was very annoying because any release by SONY im very cautious and always email the seller when i see a film i need and ask about the condition and they always say its fine and it turns up rotted. :|

My copies of Air Force One and Eraser are rot free!.

PostPosted: 30 Jan 2012, 15:44 
Third post and above
Third post and above

sadly i have 36 rotten ones, and some i like dearly... including starwars definitive collection, some shizuka kudo and noriko sakai music lds. come to think of it, a lot of english music titles too like bon jovi, bands of gold, marillion... bands of gold is my worst one, one side is not really watchable - although the sound is somewhat ok.

PostPosted: 30 Jan 2012, 16:51 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

All this being said one would believe a decent copy of starship troopers and erasure should bring a premium! Lol

PostPosted: 31 Jan 2012, 03:14 
Serious fan
Serious fan

kaosnews wrote:
Is there someone with a good copy (without rot) of Eraser (1996) [14202]? I have 3 copies and they all are really bad.

I do! There was a tiny bit of speckling for about 1 min when I last watched it 2 years ago, but that's it.

PostPosted: 05 Feb 2012, 15:51 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

3 from my Jackie Chan LD collection:

The Protector (Jap) has very bad rot!
Heart of Dragon (Jap) end of side A and B have bad rot!
My Lucky Stars (Jap) side B has bad rot!

PostPosted: 05 Feb 2012, 22:37 
Serious fan
Serious fan

publius wrote:
My father recounts horror stories of the bad LP pressings of the 1970s. Personally, my biggest problem with laser rot has been that one of the American anime publishers, AD Vision, used Sony DADC USA exclusively. So, while they didn't release nearly enough of their catalog on LD (so far as I am concerned), it's terribly difficult to find a clean copy of what they did release — & sometimes quite expensive, at least in the case of Battle Angle, which retains its value better than most anime LDs thanks to having been taken off the market a decade ago by James Cameron.

I have "Battle Angel" on DVD and had no idea it was on LD; damn, another disc to buy...

I digress- My "Getttysburg" CAV boxed set got the rot. :cry:

PostPosted: 06 Feb 2012, 00:52 
True fan
True fan

I was really disappointed that my copy of Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid (1982) [16-028] was rotted. I bought it a few years ago and finally got around to trying watch it last week and it was badly rotted throughout the disc.

PostPosted: 06 Feb 2012, 02:55 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

So far my rot is minimal, but I think I have more Japan editions then USA ones which is probably why.

I've haven't used Windex on my laserdiscs. From what I read.....never to use Ammonia on your laserdiscs or CD, as it causes the plastic to harden and age over time, and the Windex we have here in Canada has lots of ammonia in it, as it says right on the label. Maybe Windex is different in the USA, but I don't want to take the chance especially on my expensive discs.

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2012, 13:41 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

I have six PAL-Discs (Netherlands, Cascar Video) all made in Japan by Kuraray. Three of them show light to medium rot on one side. Not that much of a loss though because they are all 4:3 Pan&Scan with burned in subtitles.

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2012, 15:34 
Learned the hard way from dadc not knowing that laserdiscs rotted then threw away several Heavy Metals & a Demolition Man i bought used & of course Eraser some titles surprised me Signature collection Field of Dreams the movie was fine but the second disc of extras got unplayable.

PostPosted: 26 Feb 2012, 08:39 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

I have a copy of Dungeonmaster that is very bad on side one, which is weird because those kinds of discs usually dont rot. This one however is bad.

PostPosted: 26 Feb 2012, 16:51 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

I know trying to find a clean copy of Willow widescreen is really tough, seems to be rotted at least one side on every title I've checked.
There are so many Columbia Tristar's that it is almost a given to be rotted.

PostPosted: 06 Apr 2012, 16:43 
Honest fan
Honest fan

edwin240170 wrote:
Talking eraser, i found sofar only one perfect copy without laserrot at all, infact a hint how to make sure you got a good copy: look at the marking a good copy has A118 and B77 a bad copy has very low numbers A2 and B3; sofar many many bad copies all having low numbers

I have just picked up a copy of eraser B56 and A43 unwatchable due to rot, disc looks mint as does the sleeve, really annoying :x
Anyone got a clean copy and if so what are the numbers, it would be good to test this theory!
I would really like a decent copy one day

PostPosted: 09 Apr 2012, 23:37 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

chente wrote:
I was really disappointed that my copy of Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid (1982) [16-028] was rotted. I bought it a few years ago and finally got around to trying watch it last week and it was badly rotted throughout the disc.

I don't understand why, but these very early Japanese pressed titles are just a b**ch to find good copies of. "Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid" and "Galaxina" were both pressed by Universal Pioneer and I've never found a really clean copy of either. I've probably gone though a dozen "Galaxina" copies... On the other hand, some titles (like 1941 and Battlestar Galactica) were generally very good.

PostPosted: 10 Apr 2012, 21:43 
True fan
True fan

feel so lucky that my star wars definitive collection, The Game and Lost highway copies are not rotted at all! :)

PostPosted: 12 Apr 2012, 08:02 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Hellol Guys,

Reading through all of your post's has got me worried about the next time that I play a movie.

I would be gutted if I find a rotter, still if I am able to get hold of a Japanese version then I will be happy.

Once I have everything connected I shall post any rotted findings on this site.

Thank you anyway guys as it helps to indentify the titles that are known to have problems.

Regards to all

:thumbup:

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2012, 11:01 
True fan
True fan

Yesterday I was watching DOLORES CLAIBORNE, a known rotter, which reminded me to look on the forum about this problem. At least, my copy was watchable, I wasn ´t too distracted, Side One was infected, side 2 less and side three, well, heavy rot with lots of blinking dots. I really wonder if it´s getting worse, have to check it in 5 years again. At least, these discs play, not like HD-DVds with "rot" that just won´t play anymore. Anyway it´s sad..

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2012, 12:16 
i have an okay copy of eraser 14202 disc number:

A:
LDVS-003048-A-A77
B:
LDVS-003048-B-B58

only first 5 min of side a is speckled the rest perfect

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2012, 12:29 
Third post and above
Third post and above

I have a copy of Eraser which in all likelihood I'll be selling soon, along with a number of other discs as I 'refine' my collection.

I'll see if I can check it for rot tonight (it's fine from what I can recall).

Ha, update - mine's got rot as well!

Page 4 of 9 [ 177 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next