It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 03:42

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: Did anyone get lured back to laserdisc after selling the lot
PostPosted: 10 Nov 2012, 01:47 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

Is there anyone out there who was originally a laserdisc collector who completely gave up on the format, sold everything and has recently been lured back?

I guess anyone out there with a massive collection would find it tough to part with it but I'm sure when DVD appeared some people defected to the other side only to realise the error of their ways.

Post subject: Re: Did anyone get lured back to laserdisc after selling the
PostPosted: 11 Nov 2012, 04:14 
I keep on going back and fourth back and fourth to the format and I didn't sell one LD. I've been too lazy. So every now and then I pack them away only to put them back on the shelves till the next time, if there is a next time. :mrgreen: I have about 300 or so LD's and 3 players and mainly stick to the default pioneer unit and have the other 2 packed away. :thumbup:

PostPosted: 11 Nov 2012, 10:37 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Collecting LDs from 1987, around 2001 I switched to dvd without selling my collection (did not have so many discs as for a student they were quite expensive especially the Japanese import....) my attention to the format slowed down....

Around 2005 I was able to buy a collection for a very good price, since then I got hooked back to the format and was able to buy the discs I couldn't afford back in the time or hunt down older releases.

Looking back in time, we as collectors could still find so many nice discs after the format died. However I have the feeling the local market in LDs is slowing down compared to years back, where new collections could be found almost weekly. Nowadays many discs are repeatedly offered or go from one collection to another.

PostPosted: 11 Nov 2012, 12:56 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Sold about 800 discs that I collected since 1993 around 2000. Yep, dvd came around the corner.
Never felt the need to sell them all and so I kept my "treasured" must have titles around including some dts discs and Star wars episode I
Never got the same satisfaction when buying a dvd as I had with ld's so Around 2005 I began hunting down the dts titles and Japanese "rarities".
I might add I'm happier now with my 320 titles than I was when I owned about a 1000. I found that a lot of discs manufactured 1980-1995 aren't that high quality anyway. Let's be honest, like dvd many movies are not so great when it comes to PQ. Not to mention Colombia rotters :thumbdown:
Discs manufactured in the later days of LD manufacturing are more of a finished product. They pulled everything out of the closset near the end :cry:

I'm sure others can see my point of vieuw
I'm not saying it's all rubbish... but I don't want to own a disc just for the great cover. I like to watch movies not look at them. :)
From time to time I buy a collection just to pick out a few titles I really want but I never felt the need to keep them all around(once again)
I always liked The Frighteners (director's cut) . Do own the dts edition and a few months ago found the director's cut mint in a lot I purchased. I kept it but wouldn't have bought it at no matter what price. It's fun getting them for free these days :thumbup:
When I think how much money I spent years ago I feel :sick:
These days it would have to be really rare before I think about spending 150... or more :crazy:
Lexicon LDD-1
SR-7015
RMB-1585
DP-UB820
TX-58DX780E

PostPosted: 11 Nov 2012, 19:09 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

I was just curious because I know in the past I've made a few mistakes.
I once sold some rare LP records thinking I would be able to easily rebuy them on CD when it was starting to take off.
In practice it took decades before these were issued on CD so I was kicking myself for selling them.

I also sold some CDs that I regretted getting rid of as my musical tastes changed over time and I have since ended up rebuying them to re-evaluate.

Generally when it comes to music I rarely sell anything that I have only 1 copy of as it is often too difficult to ever obtain again.
In the case of music laserdiscs, many seem much tougher to find that any other music formats I have collected so I am particularly reluctant to sell those at ANY price.
I definitely wouldn't want to go through all the searching I did to reassemble the collection I have the moment.

PostPosted: 12 Nov 2012, 15:36 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

laserdisc_fan wrote:
I once sold some rare LP records thinking I would be able to easily rebuy them on CD when it was starting to take off.

In the case of music laserdiscs, many seem much tougher to find that any other music formats I have collected so I am particularly reluctant to sell those at ANY price.
I definitely wouldn't want to go through all the searching I did to reassemble the collection I have the moment.

I fully agree with you, I know at the time the CD was introduced everyone got ride of his LP collection, in fact my parents hunted through many collections offered and bought at that time really jewels of LPs at an incredible low price, and indeed some are still unavailable on CD or very hard to find.

As the majority of my LD collection is music, I also do not sell these as there is a lot unavailable on other formats, or in an inferior quality, there are of caurse exceptions, take for example Queen - Live in Budapest 1986, which has only a week ago been released for the first time on DVD and Blu-Ray.

PostPosted: 12 Nov 2012, 18:56 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I never gave up on the format, but I did make the mistake of selling off perhaps 5% of my collection and going with the DVD version.

I have since seen the error of my ways and abandoned DVD and purchased the LD version once again. A perfect example is "Star Trek: The Next Generation". I had the entire series from both the US and Japan and once the DVDs came out, I decided to sell the entire US collection. I have since purchased the US version once again.

PostPosted: 12 Nov 2012, 21:32 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

Never sold of my LDs, but I did stop buying them for a while when I got my first DVD player (ironically, the DVL-919) in 1999.

Got back into buying them again in 2004 when I discovered that a better LD player can yield a much better LD picture and acquired a CLD-79.

Only LDs I ever sold off in that interim was when I sold my old Sony MDP-A3 LD player on Ebay. Threw in a couple of titles I had some dupes of--Stargate. Mimic and Born on the Fourth of July--to sweeten the sale a bit.

PostPosted: 27 Nov 2012, 06:06 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Guilty!

From my "About Me" page...

"Hello all!
I stumbled upon this database quite by accident when I was looking for some info on LD players. Back in the day I was a true Laserdisc devotee but as time passed and more and more of the obscure films became available on DVD I finally gave in and sold my two remaining players and virtually all of my discs (still have a few lurking in with my LPs I will dig out soon).
Over time I had begun to regret the decision because of the titles not available on DVD or Blu ray, some of the otherwise unavailable supplemental material/commentary tracks and just simply the beauty of some of the LD jacket art.
Recently I decided to start collecting again for just these reasons. I plan to keep my collection small with just the few titles I want to actually view but more titles just for their aesthetic value to gaze at upon the shelving or even frame the jackets.
My DVDs and Blu rays will still be the heart of my collection but it feels good to get back to where home theatre really started!
Best wishes,
Brian"

PostPosted: 27 Nov 2012, 07:09 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

I guess in way I got "lured back to laserdisc" after selling off maybe 70 or so Laserdiscs around early 2000's when I bought DVD, I didn't sale all I sold off what I was buying on DVD and then decided it wasn't worth the Risk, and now I'm starting to buy again (often the same titles I used to own and some newer ones) since I buying my first one a few years ago "Superman the Movie" then a few more and so on, and on over the years off, eBay.

ohreally wrote:
Guilty!

From my "About Me" page...

"Hello all!
I stumbled upon this database quite by accident when I was looking for some info on LD players.

I kinder looked for Laserdisc forums or other years ago before the forum was added not long ago now and came across this site and joined straight away.

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ]