It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 14:07

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: Standing in Line With 36 LD's is hard on your arms!
PostPosted: 14 Nov 2012, 22:50 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Here's my find today, nothing special. I picked these up at a thrift store. I would never buy any of these on LD online and pay internet prices and certainly none of these I would look for specifically. I probably wouldn't even buy most of these on DVD, but I haven't seen quite a few of these so I think it's worth .99 each just to watch them once. Most rental stores charge .99 or more.

Stood in line with 36 LD's, they are pretty heavy, my arms were tired by the time I got back to the truck. LD picking, I left a few behind that I already have on DVD or the covers were really bad. I have a few of these on DVD but bought them anyway. I had to rearrange what they had as they were mixed in with LP's. I left Beverly Hills Cop 2, Back to the Future 3, Platoon, Fatal Attraction, Pale Rider, Heartbreak Ridge and a few more.

Then when the person was checking me out she rang them up .99 each as 36 individual items and the price was like 46 dollars?!!! WTF? I told her .99 x 36 is less than 36 dollars. She said that was before tax. Again, WTF? Finally I had to explain it in more detail and with simple math and she caught the mistake, she had rung up one entry as 9.99. I asked her if she could just hit .99 x 36 and do one entry and she couldn't figure it out, so she range them all up again the same way, this time she got it right.

Oh, something else kind of funny. Someone walking behind me as I was LD Picking, said, "Oh, Laserdiscs. I think my player doesn't even work any more." I guess that's just incredible someone actually knew what they are and had played them before. Then he said, "I don't think it's even worth it because you have to flip the disc in the middle." Then he walked on. That was while I was in the back before the checkout incident. Then I think he was behind me in line as I was getting rung up and that took forever! He was probably thinking: "Geez, why's this guy buying a stack of LD's, hasn't he heard of DVD and Blu ray?"

Here's some pics:

None of the covers are great or even good. A few are decent at best, mostly a lot of these I've never seen or even heard of.

Post subject: Re: Standing in Line With 36 LD's is hard on your arms!
PostPosted: 14 Nov 2012, 23:13 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Great pics! Wow, somebody really likes to use the sale sticker gun.
Thank goodness you were able to get the complete Hardbodies saga. :lol:
BTW, that stage version of Elephant Man is a good find (it has not been released on DVD/BD).

Last edited by nems on 14 Nov 2012, 23:21, edited 1 time in total. _________________
Pioneer CLD-D703 => Panasonic DMR-ES15 DVD-R => DVDO iScan VP20 => Sharp LC-52D62U HDTV

PostPosted: 14 Nov 2012, 23:16 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

Pity about the covers, but at those prices you cannot go wrong, especially when there is no shipping cost.
About 1/3 of those movies I've never seen either. I'd expect a few rotters in that pile due to the age of some of those discs.

PostPosted: 14 Nov 2012, 23:34 
I'd say the thrift store was being extra thrifty in,

A: the hiring of the cashier, and,

B: not having a shopping cart. At my age I would've found a strapping teenager and paid him $.99 per disc to carry them to the cashier :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: 15 Nov 2012, 00:10 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

nems wrote:
Great pics! Wow, somebody really likes to use the sale sticker gun.
Thank goodness you were able to get the complete Hardbodies saga. :lol:
BTW, that stage version of Elephant Man is a good find (it has not been released on DVD/BD).

Hey, thanks for the info. I didn't know that one wasn't on DVD. I was thinking it was the movie in the store then saw it was stage version after I got them home. Yeah, I actually went back later for the Hardbodies, I don't know why but I felt I might regret it later, ended up buying 36 of the 47 they had.

They did have shopping carts but this was my second trip back and I was thinking I'd just get two or three. I went in about an hour earlier when my wife was sleeping, I thought about it more when I got in there and figured she would want to go in and look around too so I just did a quick rummage through the discs and electronics then went home. I went home and looked a few up. Nothing stood out as valuable or rare but I thought about going back and getting those Hardbodies. I just couldn't get it out of my mind what might be on there :lol:. But after my return I realized I didn't have over half of them on some format so I don't think .99 is too much just to watch them once through. I remember the Young Sherlock Holmes series, I didn't know there was a movie. The only ones I've seen are The Firm, Cocktail, Next of Kin, Police Academy 3, Fletch, and Octopussy. Some I've never heard of. I'm sure most are fullscreen, oh well.

Yeah, they were all originally marked 2.98, then 1.98, then .99. I guess there aren't too many out there willing to pay even a dollar for them. I might be able to get the stickers off, if I thought the covers were better. A couple aren't too bad, but so far all the discs are cleaning up really well. Cocktail had some wear on one side, I have the DVD I think so it's not critical that it play perfect. I don't usually see this many for sale locally and I never had the pleasure of buying them new in a store so this is as close as I can ever get to that. Maybe one day I'll find some really rare titles or good players. I still haven't seen a single Laserdisc player in a second hand store yet.

PostPosted: 15 Nov 2012, 00:28 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

nothing to bring 100 bucks but still some cool older discs that you can't really find that easily.
the elephant man looks cool and some of the full screen stuff may be open matte? or very close.
like stir crazy i believe was open mat, i had that once but can't remember.

it's a shame, i used to get discs back in the day and then upgraded them to widescreen if they released them.
didn't realize at the time that it may not be worth it for the upgrade

PostPosted: 15 Nov 2012, 02:03 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I hate dealing with the stickers from the thrift store. Since anything you use is liable to ruin the cover more, the only way I can get ever them off is with a really good razor blade window scraper that has a new razor, and gently peel them off. Oncve you get one corner, it works pretty well as long as you slide the razor right and left while pulling up very slowly.

PostPosted: 15 Nov 2012, 15:30 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

rixrex wrote:
I hate dealing with the stickers from the thrift store. Since anything you use is liable to ruin the cover more, the only way I can get ever them off is with a really good razor blade window scraper that has a new razor, and gently peel them off. Oncve you get one corner, it works pretty well as long as you slide the razor right and left while pulling up very slowly.

I use a hair dryer on warm or hot. Softens the glue on the sticker so it pulls right off without tearing.

PostPosted: 15 Nov 2012, 16:23 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

Cooool! Here in Austria you can only dream about .99 prices. In second hand shops you have to pay between € 5,-- and € 10,--, thats about up to $ 13 each :-(

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ]