It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 14:22

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 
 Post subject: Rocky I , Disc 3 CAV or CLV ?
PostPosted: 21 Jan 2013, 01:10 
Hello,

Today i was waching Rocky I when i play the 3 side i note is marked as CAV, but when i try to see it in STILL/STEP a CLV massage display in the screen, i check the disk and the sleeve and both said is CAV, but my player CLD-V2600 say is CLV.

Someone have the same situation ? i quite new in the hobby so maybe i'm lossing a technical aspect ?

I flip the disct to side 4 and i can watch a image saying is a wrong side nad that one is a CAV so i don't understand what is going on !!!

Post subject: Re: Rocky I , Disc 3 CAV or CLV ?
PostPosted: 21 Jan 2013, 01:25 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Yeah I'm new to this hobby as well and its fair to say the format has a few strange quirks that I can't explain. For example, Goldeneye is obviously a NTSC disc yet it ONLY plays on my Laserdisc player when I have it set to 1 of the 2 available PAL modes..

Also, why is your TV set to 4:3 aspect ratio? Because I notice what seem to be black bars on the side of the image.

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2013, 02:34 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

alien wrote:
Also, why is your TV set to 4:3 aspect ratio? Because I notice what seem to be black bars on the side of the image.

Because he isn't a tasteless slob. Watching 4:3 stretched or cropped to 16:9 is pure Satanism unless the disc was transferred open matte.

The sticker on the disc must be wrong. This happens sometimes. In the correct light you can tell a CAV disc from a CLV one just by looking at it. On a CAV disc you can see the beginning and end of every frame, kind of looks like Pac Man with his mouth mostly closed. In the pic you show there you can see that side 4 is CAV. (An LD's sticker is on the opposite side of the side actually being played, the laser is on the bottom of the player).

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2013, 03:01 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

signofzeta wrote:
alien wrote:

Because he isn't a tasteless slob. Watching 4:3 stretched or cropped to 16:9 is pure Satanism unless the disc was transferred open matte.

But isn't letterbox widescreen essentially a 4:3 signal? However letterboxxing doesn't crop the sides of the image and I'm guessing that Rocky 3 is suppose to be letterbox widescreen with traditional black bars above and bellow.

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2013, 05:00 
alien wrote:

Hello alien,

Because the source is 4:3, I only used the 16:9 when the source is 16:9, sometimes when the source is 4:3 but in widescreen and the picture quality is good, i use zoom but keeping the ratio.

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2013, 05:54 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

montaro wrote:
alien wrote:

Hello alien,

Because the source is 4:3, I only used the 16:9 when the source is 16:9, sometimes when the source is 4:3 but in widescreen and the picture quality is good, i use zoom but keeping the ratio.

Oh ok understandable.

at the risk of going slightly derailing the point of this thread, I notice you use a 16x9 display for Laserdisc (as I do). How would you rate the results? and how big is that TV?

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2013, 06:43 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

you see the picture of the disc that montaro posted, the disc has small squares on it, that is a CAV side.
CLV has no small squares.

also the labels are on the other sides due to the laser reading on the underside.
label one is on the top, laser reads on the bottom, when it flips its going onto the top now which has label 1
but is really side 2.

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2013, 07:02 
rein-o wrote:
you see the picture of the disc that montaro posted, the disc has small squares on it, that is a CAV side.
CLV has no small squares.

also the labels are on the other sides due to the laser reading on the underside.
label one is on the top, laser reads on the bottom, when it flips its going onto the top now which has label 1
but is really side 2.

Excellent rein-o, now i know how to distinct physically the CAV vs CLV. :clap:

So we can not trust in the sleeve neither in the disc label :think:

Thanks

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2013, 07:33 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

montaro wrote:
Excellent rein-o, now i know how to distinct physically the CAV vs CLV. :clap:

So we can not trust in the sleeve neither in the disc label :think:

That's why LD is cool. You see it! You touch it! You taste it! Its not just some file on a disc. :)

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2013, 17:12 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

yes, they would sometimes make mistakes with lables and also audio etc.
even i made some mistakes when updating some LDs with pan and scan and other details. :oops:

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2013, 18:05 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

I don't know why but it's quite common to find misprinted information on laserdisc, even later ones. My "favourite" has to be Evil Dead 2: Dead By Dawn: Special Edition (1987) [EE3845] which lists the film release date as 1976 instead of 1987, and this was a disc release in 1998.

PostPosted: 25 Jan 2013, 19:52 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Location: Manassas, VA/Northern Virginia/DC Metro/United States
I know I've seen a few mismarked audio options on discs. I know my CS&N Daylight Again disc has CX logos on jacket and disc label; activate CX and you get muffled pumping; which tells me there's no CX actually on that disc.

I can't say that I've seen mismarked disc types. CAVs are easy to identify; as you can see the VBI on opposite sides of the disc and horizontal blanking.

CLV discs tend to resemble an LP; bunch of groove like things that SOMETIMES can show apparent specific scenes. No, you're not supposed to be able to with FM; but I know there are dark scenes which show up as specific CLV patterns. I've also seen CAV patterns at the beginning of CLV discs. I've never made a guess as to what its for...TOC storage? Never gave it much thought.

Ill look at my Rocky when I get home. (Still have never seen that movie in any form.)

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2013, 22:39 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

montaro wrote:
Hello,

Today i was waching Rocky I when i play the 3 side i note is marked as CAV, but when i try to see it in STILL/STEP a CLV massage display in the screen, i check the disk and the sleeve and both said is CAV, but my player CLD-V2600 say is CLV.

Someone have the same situation ? i quite new in the hobby so maybe i'm lossing a technical aspect ?

I flip the disct to side 4 and i can watch a image saying is a wrong side nad that one is a CAV so i don't understand what is going on !!!

Plus you don't see a FRAME COUNT hence it must be misprint on the label of some sort?

PostPosted: 29 Jan 2013, 08:35 
True fan
True fan

There are several MGM of that era (a few later Bonds IIRC) that say Side 3 is CAV, but act like and have the length of CLV.

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ]