It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 12:54

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: laserdisc cleaning/polishing cloth?
PostPosted: 04 Feb 2013, 02:44 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

Was curious what some of you use as in non abrasive scratch free cleaning/polishing cloth that do not leave any faint marks on the disc?
Brand names would be useful... I want to try and find the best for cleaning and such. Any ideas from the pros????

Post subject: Re: laserdisc cleaning/polishing cloth?
PostPosted: 04 Feb 2013, 02:50 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Any microfiber cloth should be fine. I use cloths I got from one of those discount wire baskets at Fry's Electronics and they work great.

PostPosted: 04 Feb 2013, 03:09 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I use cotton tea towels and Maxell's #2 polishing and cleaning spray for optical discs - it not only cleans but adds a slight scuff resistant coating to help protect the disc. For scratched discs, I use Rain-X because it fills in the scratches, making them more optically transparent and gives the disc a slick coating that finger prints and dust don't stick to - it wears off though, but it does improve the picture since the laser can read the analog FM carrier more easily.

BTW, I've used Rain-X on my discs since around 1984, and it has never harmed a single disc... Just don't get it on the label when applying it. Fog-X does nothing for LaserDisc's, but Rain-X is a wonder and has rescued many discs that I thought were too scuffed up to play - it works great on DVD's and DVD-R's too.

PostPosted: 04 Feb 2013, 03:19 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

Quote:
it works great on DVD's and DVD-R's too.

Wow...DVD's are another breed of there own... I've tried cleaning/removing marks/polishing them with little success.
I end up getting fine faint hairlines on the disc unlike on LD's. Dvd's must have a very fine layer to them than laserdiscs

PostPosted: 04 Feb 2013, 03:28 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

disclord wrote:
I use cotton tea towels and Maxell's #2 polishing and cleaning spray for optical discs - it not only cleans but adds a slight scuff resistant coating to help protect the disc. For scratched discs, I use Rain-X because it fills in the scratches, making them more optically transparent and gives the disc a slick coating that finger prints and dust don't stick to - it wears off though, but it does improve the picture since the laser can read the analog FM carrier more easily.

BTW, I've used Rain-X on my discs since around 1984, and it has never harmed a single disc... Just don't get it on the label when applying it. Fog-X does nothing for LaserDisc's, but Rain-X is a wonder and has rescued many discs that I thought were too scuffed up to play - it works great on DVD's and DVD-R's too.

Is this the right Rain-X?

PostPosted: 04 Feb 2013, 04:16 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

naiaru wrote:
disclord wrote:

Yep, that's it. I buy it at Walmart or Target in the Automotive dept where it's cheaper than online with shipping. Even Walgreens and CVS sell it. One treatment lasts for about a month before it evaporates off the disc - you can tell when it's gone because the disc will no longer feel slick and look super transparent. A bottle will last a long time because you only use about 3-4 drops on each side of the disc.

PostPosted: 04 Feb 2013, 04:31 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

disclord wrote:
naiaru wrote:
disclord wrote:

Yep, that's it. I buy it at Walmart or Target in the Automotive dept where it's cheaper than online with shipping. Even Walgreens and CVS sell it. One treatment lasts for about a month before it evaporates off the disc - you can tell when it's gone because the disc will no longer feel slick and look super transparent. A bottle will last a long time because you only use about 3-4 drops on each side of the disc.

How long does it take to dry? I figure I would just do it right before watching the disc.

PostPosted: 04 Feb 2013, 04:35 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

You wipe it on the disc, wait about 30 seconds to dry (it forms a haze), then buff it off - so, maybe a minute, total.

PostPosted: 04 Feb 2013, 05:14 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

What I did is go to the fabric store and bought a piece of the micro fiber cleaning material the one that has the suede look to it. Then just cut it into pieces. It's way cheaper then buying them ready made. I cut some into 14" square to use as a mat to put the LD on and then cut smaller size ones for cleaning. Here is what mine looks like.

Attachments:
Cleaning cloth.jpg
Cleaning cloth.jpg [ 187.03 KiB | Viewed 3021 times ]

PostPosted: 04 Feb 2013, 16:46 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

I use Norwex cloths, in particular the kids cloths (item 300400) are just the right size. I use the blue one, get it damp with water, clean, and then wipe dry with the orange. I don't use any chemicals. These get rid of just about anything and leave it streak free.

These were supposed to be for cleaning glass when we bought them, which work really great for that, but they've taken over cleaning optical discs for now because I love the results. I need to get some larger ones for cleaning glass. Overall, these work much better than paper towels.

http://www.norwex.com/category.php?lng=7&ctg=60&cnt=38

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ]