It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 00:46

Page 5 of 13 [ 243 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: Ultimate list of Laserdisc titles that are significant
PostPosted: 20 Jan 2014, 21:53 
In Chapter 5 The Cell is listed as being 2 minutes longer at109 mins . All Japanese. Dvd's (at least the dts versions) are also 109 minutes.

http://www.amazon.co.jp/%E3%82%B6%E3%83%BB%E3%82%BB%E3%83%AB-DVD-%E3%82%B8%E3%82%A7%E3%83%8B%E3%83%95%E3%82%A1%E3%83%BC%E3%83%BB%E3%83%AD%E3%83%9A%E3%82%B9/dp/B00006AUWF/ref=sr_1_2?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1390250362&sr=1-2&keywords=the+cell+dts

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2014, 22:01 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

deeseven wrote:
substance wrote:
I found something about Toy Story when I added it to the list now I cant find it. It could have been an extra.

Knickknack was presented in its original form. It has since been redone and the only uncut release is on the toy story boxset and Tiny Toy Stories vhs

Would this be the Laserdisc boxset of Toy Story only or does it include the Ultimate Toy Box on DVD that has both Toy Story and Toy Story 2

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2014, 22:01 
American Graffiti: American Graffiti (1973) [42726]
- Blu-ray and DVD contain a digital alteration to the opening sunrise/sky background for the title shot, done by ILM.

The Beatles, Let It Be: The Beatles: Let It Be (1970) [4508-80]
- Not available on DVD or Blu-ray.

American Achievement Awards presentations: http://www.lddb.com/search.php?search=american+film+institute&sort=title
- Not available on DVD or Blu-ray. AFI website for the awards has the following disclaimer for each listing: "NOTE: Due to licensing restrictions, the telecasts of the AFI Life Achievement Award Tribute to... past honorees are not available for distribution or purchase on DVD or VHS."
http://www.afi.com/laa/default.aspx

Dead Poets Society: Dead Poets Society (1989) (Uncut) [7821 AS]
- Contains uncut TV edit (14 additional minutes).

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2014, 16:51 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

This is re-written from a post in another thread but it highlights a few music LDs that are significant because either the soundtrack is unique to that LD edition or there is unique material on that edition.

I have the the Rush live LDs:
"Exit...Stage Left" [ http://www.lddb.com/laserdisc/38623/791 ... Left-(1981) ],
"Grace Under Pressure Tour" [ http://www.lddb.com/laserdisc/00471/080 ... sure-(1985) ] and
"A Show of Hands" [ http://www.lddb.com/laserdisc/41159/080 ... ands-(1989) , http://www.lddb.com/laserdisc/00480/080 ... ands-(1988) ]
because when these titles were eventually issued in DVD format the soundtracks had been remixed by Alex Lifeson, and though my VHS tapes play fine (ignoring the fact that the original UK VHS tape of Exit...Stage Left was in mono) this is the only way to get digital versions of those soundtracks. In addition the early versions of "A Show of Hands" have an extra track.

I have the LD of
Yes "90125" [ http://www.lddb.com/laserdisc/39254/VAL ... Live-(1985) ]
because when the DVD edition came out recently (and it is a worthwhile release) some klutz had mixed the soundtrack into mono. Thus, this is the only way to get a digital version of the stereo soundtrack.

I have
Anderson Bruford Wakeman Howe - "An Evening of Yes Music Plus..." [ http://www.lddb.com/laserdisc/06252/ID3 ... Plus-(1989) ]
because although there was a contemporary CD version of this show there were three extra tracks on the LD and this is the only way to get a digital copy of those songs.
Another edition has a unique audio edit of the show:
[ http://www.lddb.com/laserdisc/31864/VAL ... Plus-(1989) ].

I have the King Crimson LD of
"Three of a Perfect Pair Live in Japan" [ http://www.lddb.com/laserdisc/28155/SM0 ... apan-(1984) ]
because the edition I have contains a bonus track unreleased on the DVD version, plus the DVD
"Live in Japan" [ http://www.lddb.com/laserdisc/17567/PCL ... apan-(1995) ]
which is the only way I know of to get a digital copy of that mix (by Adrian Belew, I think) of the show. The DVD equivalent "Deja Vrooom" has a remixed and re-sequenced soundtrack.

I'm not sure if this is the kind of significance that the original poster meant but for music lovers these releases have significance.

PostPosted: 27 Jan 2014, 03:05 
Also:
Beatles - A Hard day's Night: http://www.lddb.com/laserdisc/28951/MP- ... ht-A-(1964)

1st pressing [MP 1064D, red cover not pictured on lddb]; only edition with original mono mix on music tracks.

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2014, 17:04 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

updated these above titles in the list. Per Julien's direction I have re-arranged the lists they look much nicer now. I made 2 new chapter. music chapter and oop criterions list. These last lists are incomplete I will be completing them later.

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2014, 23:42 
substance wrote:
updated these above titles in the list. Per Julien's direction I have re-arranged the lists they look much nicer now. I made 2 new chapter. music chapter and oop criterions list. These last lists are incomplete I will be completing them later.

Awesome!
Thanks for putting all the effort into these lists.
:thumbup:

PostPosted: 30 Jan 2014, 16:18 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

May I re-emphasise that early copies of this release Rush - "A Show of Hands" [ http://www.lddb.com/laserdisc/41159/080 ... ands-(1989) , http://www.lddb.com/laserdisc/00480/080 ... ands-(1988) ] has an extra track unavailable elsewhere. It was later issued with that track removed (same cat. no.)

PostPosted: 05 Feb 2014, 19:25 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

Here's what I know off the top of my head, at least of those that aren't already on your list:

Delusion (1990) [90786]: not available on DVD, in any region, in any aspect ratio

Runestone, The (1990) [LD 68953-WS]: widescreen only available on LD (FS/P&S versions available on Region 2 DVD, perhaps others)

Colossus: The Forbin Project/Silent Running [43128]: DVD release of "Colossus: The Forbin Project" only available in FS/P&S.

Twilight of the Cockroaches (1987) [LVD9201]: never released on DVD, at least in US.

Braindead (1992) (Uncut) [PILF-1822]: there are various versions of this movie on LD (also known in the US as "Dead Alive"), and this version is interesting because it has a few scenes that are not in any of the US versions, including the widescreen DVD version. This version, alas, is not widescreen. It looks like there might be a German PAL version that is both widescreen/uncut, but I can't vouch for it.

Suspiria (1977) [ID6900MN]: purists debate this movie endlessly and passionately, and as I understand it this version is regarded as having the "most-canonical" soundtrack. The DVD versions that were released (including the special editions by Anchor Bay) have soundtracks that were altered in a way that bothered hard-core fans, e.g., certain background sound effects were removed or diminished in volume.

Wallace & Gromit: Collection [0610680]: The DVD versions of the short film "The Wrong Trousers" have different songs in the soundtrack (as diegetic music ... IIRC, the original "How Much Is That Doggie In the Window?" is replaced with something else), due to rights issues. "The Wrong Trousers" can be found on different LD collections as well, and I suspect these will also contain the original version.

I'll look over my collection tonight (or sometime soon) and see if I can find anything else that is worthy of being added to the list.

PostPosted: 06 Feb 2014, 17:23 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

Andrea Bocelli - A Night in Tuscany has several tracks not on the DVD release.

PostPosted: 06 Feb 2014, 19:39 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

I found a couple more that might be of interest for the list:

Erik The Viking (1989) [ID7411OR]: Uncut, FS/P&S (alas); DVD release (at least in US) is missing some scenes (being the "director's son's cut").

Heavenly Creatures (1994) [4371 AS]: Theatrical release in widescreen. DVD release (at least in US) is extended director's cut only.

PostPosted: 07 Feb 2014, 12:55 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

megarat wrote:
Erik The Viking (1989) [ID7411OR]: Uncut, FS/P&S (alas); DVD release (at least in US) is missing some scenes (being the "director's son's cut").

I bought a copy of the UK DVD when it came out and I'm sure it came with both versions. I no longer have it though so I can't check.

PostPosted: 08 Feb 2014, 17:06 
Serious fan
Serious fan

what is OAR edition?

PostPosted: 08 Feb 2014, 19:26 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

rch928 wrote:
what is OAR edition?

Original Aspect Ratio.

In other words, the same aspect ratio of the screen as how the film originally appeared in theaters.

PostPosted: 25 Mar 2014, 16:22 
Honest fan
Honest fan

For my opinion some LDs are missing here, if I did not overlook them. So I would like to add:

- Fatal Attraction: Directors Series (1987)
longest version of the movie, could not find this version on DVD/BD anywhere

- Hawaii (1966)
restored uncut long version of the movie, not released anywhere on DVD/BD

- Wonderful World of The Brothers Grimm, The (1962)
as far as I know also not released in this quality on DVD/BD

- Wyatt Earp: Special Expanded Edition (1994)
this long version of the movie seems also not available anywhere on DVD/BD

PostPosted: 16 Apr 2014, 11:03 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Was Elton John: In Central Park (1980) (Uncut) [MP026-25DO] ever released on DVD? With all the extra tracks on the Japanese LD (+30min.)?

Prince stated he would never release Prince: Lovesexy Live (1988) [080 844 1] again. Only available on VHS (PAL/SECAM) and LD (PAL).

Julien

PostPosted: 21 Apr 2014, 10:14 
Serious fan
Serious fan

xtempo wrote:
deeseven wrote:
substance wrote:
I found something about Toy Story when I added it to the list now I cant find it. It could have been an extra.

Knickknack was presented in its original form. It has since been redone and the only uncut release is on the toy story boxset and Tiny Toy Stories vhs

Would this be the Laserdisc boxset of Toy Story only or does it include the Ultimate Toy Box on DVD that has both Toy Story and Toy Story 2

The Laserdisc boxset of Toy Story has the version of Knick Knack with the well endowed female toys. They seemed to have had a breast reduction for the later DVD releases. (It wasn't included in the Ultimate Toy Box DVD, as I recall, though I could be wrong.)

From Wikipedia:
Quote:
The film has been released in two versions, and each of these have been shown in both 3-D and 2-D. The original version was shown in 3D in 1989 at the SIGGRAPH program,[6] and was released on the VHS and Laserdisc, Tiny Toy Stories, and also on the Toy Story deluxe CAV Laserdisc edition, both of which are now out of print. The film was completely altered for release preceding Finding Nemo (2003). In this version, the girl on the "Miami" knick knack and the mermaid in the fish bowl now have much smaller breasts and the mermaid is now wearing a seashell bra rather than just starfish pasties... This version is available on the Finding Nemo DVD set, the Pixar Short Films Collection – Volume 1 DVD and Blu-ray, and through the iTunes Store. A 3-D version of the "small breasts" edition played to the public as a short attached to the 2006 Disney Digital 3D release of The Nightmare Before Christmas.[10]

PostPosted: 28 Apr 2014, 02:30 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

jjhunsecker wrote:
The Laserdisc boxset of Toy Story has the version of Knick Knack with the well endowed female toys. They seemed to have had a breast reduction for the later DVD releases. (It wasn't included in the Ultimate Toy Box DVD, as I recall, though I could be wrong.)

From Wikipedia:
Quote:
The film has been released in two versions, and each of these have been shown in both 3-D and 2-D. The original version was shown in 3D in 1989 at the SIGGRAPH program,[6] and was released on the VHS and Laserdisc, Tiny Toy Stories, and also on the Toy Story deluxe CAV Laserdisc edition, both of which are now out of print. The film was completely altered for release preceding Finding Nemo (2003). In this version, the girl on the "Miami" knick knack and the mermaid in the fish bowl now have much smaller breasts and the mermaid is now wearing a seashell bra rather than just starfish pasties... This version is available on the Finding Nemo DVD set, the Pixar Short Films Collection – Volume 1 DVD and Blu-ray, and through the iTunes Store. A 3-D version of the "small breasts" edition played to the public as a short attached to the 2006 Disney Digital 3D release of The Nightmare Before Christmas.[10]

Give me the version with the bigger cans any day of the week!

PostPosted: 28 Apr 2014, 05:01 
True fan
True fan

Excuse my crappy camera skills and the fact that I used the "Step" button to pause on my LD player.

+1 for bigger cans. :clap: And yes I have no life. :oops: :lol:

Last edited by bguzman on 28 Apr 2014, 17:54, edited 1 time in total. _________________
Main - CLD-95, LX-1000U W/AC-3 -> Faroudja NR Series -> Display
Backup - LX-900, CLD-D703

PostPosted: 28 Apr 2014, 15:43 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

1889? Wow, CG technology was pretty good back then :lol:

Page 5 of 13 [ 243 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 13  Next