It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 19:35

Page 2 of 5 [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: What is the best deal you have ever gotten on laserdiscs
PostPosted: 04 Apr 2014, 19:48 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

I've mentioned this before but posting again as it was my best deal ever so far:

Shortly after I started collecting laserdiscs in 2006 I hit it lucky in 2 places you wouldn't traditionally associate with laserdisc - Oxfam and an antique shop.

Oxfam had a load of sealed Japanese import music LDs - all very rare and in pristine condition. Also promo editions.
I have no idea how they ended up getting them but I bought the lot.

The antique shop was even better with literally hundreds of sealed music LDs - again in pristine condition.
I cleared them all out as well!

Both lots were going for buttons as I don't think either had a clue what they were selling or what they were really worth. To them they were just obsolete junk.

One other very memorable set of purchases was from a seller in France who sold me a large chunk of his music collection.
He was effectively moving away from laserdisc just as I was getting into it. The funny part is how I got to hear about him.
Both of us had posted 'Want it now' entries on Ebay. This feature let you post entries asking for things you want people to list so you can buy them. We had both posted entries for essentially the same set of music discs and saw each others posts. I contacted the other guy and he eventually seemed to change his mind and want to sell his discs to me allowing me to complete the set I was assembling! That opened up a whole new trading platform where I obtained many of his other rare music titles in his collection over the coming months. I think this happens quite a few collectors where once they sell a few items, it is like the flood gate opens and they end up parting with the whole lot.

PostPosted: 09 Apr 2014, 08:41 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

I had a person who lived 2 blocks away from me come into a collection of laserdiscs while cleaning a house. She put them on craigslist and I was the first to reply. Here's the list of discs I got:

Star Wars Trilogy: Definitive Collection - $10
Star Wars Episode 1 - $3
Akira 3 Disc Criterion - $3
Hard Boiled 3 Disc Criterion - $3
The Killer 3 Disc Criterion - $3

I did get a few more but those were the best of the bunch.

Here are some that I found at Half Price Books for less than $5 a piece:

Blast From The Past
Scream Greats Vols 1 & 2
Ghost Town
Hollywood Chainsaw Hookers
The Evil Dead: Special Collectors Edition
Evil Dead 2 (Blood Red Disc)
Boogie Nights (Criterion)
The Game (Criterion)
Election
Maniac Cop (Elite Special Edition)
Night of the Creeps
Howard The Duck

Last edited by kiltymchaggis on 30 Apr 2014, 04:29, edited 1 time in total. _________________
Check out my collection at http://www.lddb.com/account/kiltymchaggis

PostPosted: 09 Apr 2014, 16:33 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Well, my best deal is my current one for sure. I got my new LD player from a friend really for almost nothing, as he was satisfied with a collection of DVD od BD movies from me in exchange. And this deal also contains a huge collection of LD movies, where I do not know the exact number yet. I wanted to get reid of my DVD/BD movies anyway, and so, I could never make a better deal than this one at all. :D

PostPosted: 13 Apr 2014, 09:02 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

I went to a flea market and found a box of about 30 titles for $5 a piece! Majority still sealed! I only had enough for 2 titles. (Jerky Boys and The Aristrocats) But what are the chances of finding Original Sealed LD's? I'm very happy and am going back on my next pay day!

PostPosted: 26 Apr 2014, 17:37 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Bette Davis boxed set mint condition .50 at TeenChallenge thrift store

PostPosted: 29 Apr 2014, 17:04 
The majority of my discs are used. I picked up the complete boxed sets of Twin Peaks for free, on Craigs List. (Although one disc was missing, but for free? Can't complain.)

Another purchase, 400+ discs, some new, for $30. Again, Craigs List.

Seventy discs for $50, again, CL.

Two hundred discs, and a Pioneer CLD D704 player, for $200, again, CL.

The deals are out there, just have to keep searching.

PostPosted: 29 Apr 2014, 17:38 
laminarflow wrote:
The majority of my discs are used. I picked up the complete boxed sets of Twin Peaks for free, on Craigs List. (Although one disc was missing, but for free? Can't complain.)

Another purchase, 400+ discs, some new, for $30. Again, Craigs List.

Seventy discs for $50, again, CL.

Two hundred discs, and a Pioneer CLD D704 player, for $200, again, CL.

The deals are out there, just have to keep searching.

LOL - I've been searching like I'm crazy on CL (within 200 miles), local classifieds, forums, and have yet to see anything resembling deals like this. Congrats.

If you're looking for V2200's and V2400's for $80-$100 it's a gold mine here.

PostPosted: 04 May 2014, 21:53 
Honest fan
Honest fan

So, now I can finally specify the great deal I made, as I got all material today. My friend visited me with a car full of boxes. And this is what I go in detail:

- Pioneer CLD-D925
- Mycap Junior (CC Decoder)
- 128 Laserdisc Movies:
    1 United Kingdom LD
    2 Japanese LD
    25 German LD
    100 US LD
    5 Special DVD Box Sets (German - out of print and very expensive on market places)

Still pending:
Pioneer DVD Recorder (for PAL to NTSC recording and reversed - still under repair at the moment. My own recorder can only record PAL.)

Well, now finally we made a real deal. My friend gets 350 € for all of this, what I can pay by installments. And I say, this is still a very good deal for all of this material... ;)

PostPosted: 04 May 2014, 23:44 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

One of my better deals was $20 for a box of LD's (nothing too uncommon, but including Technidisc Star Wars SWE) and a "not working" V2200 that actually does.

$80 for a 2200, ouch.

PostPosted: 04 Sep 2014, 19:27 
Back in the early 90's I got a copy of "The LIttle Mermaid" LD from a video store used for $9.99. It was long OOP at that time and I sold it on consignment at another store for $250 (minus a $25 comission to the store).

About 8 years ago, I walked into a thrift store and found a Pioneer Elite Laserdisc player in perfect working order for $10. I kept that until I broke it while moving last year....... :x

PostPosted: 12 Sep 2014, 01:06 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

got episode one for 50 bucks (bought speakers for $20, and 5 movies for 80, got one free)

PostPosted: 12 Sep 2014, 15:35 
Third post and above
Third post and above

just a month ago I picked up 200 titles of various genres including the Snow White & Fantasia CAV box sets, several sealed films, AND a pair of Pioneer LD-870's for $100 (price dropped from 200 and I pounced). One player was missing sound on the right channel, but I was able to track it down and replace a couple caps. It was an incredible deal for me since it more than doubled my number of titles instantly, plus it is rare to see any lots like that locally.

PostPosted: 18 Sep 2014, 11:56 
Third post and above
Third post and above

I just picked up a craigslist lot with a DVL-919, CLD-D503, and 195 titles (53 of which are still sealed) for $300. I'm going to spend the next few days cleaning the players, cataloging and testing the discs.

PostPosted: 18 Sep 2014, 14:11 
Serious fan
Serious fan

For £75 I once won an auction that entitled me to 100 LDs. Fair enough, but the really great thing was that I was permitted to choose the 100 LDs from a stock of over 400! And boxed sets counted as just one item.

It took a couple of hours to sort through it all with the help of a friend, but I came away with multiple boxed sets, some great collectible titles, lots of Criterion stuff and a few mild rarities. I made back the £75 by selling just 6 items...

PostPosted: 08 Dec 2014, 08:07 
Honest fan
Honest fan

I just got around 150 discs for the pricey sum of $0.00. Some guy was just giving them away in the classified section. The rarest thing in there was probably a copy of Flesh Gordon. Managed to get all of the TOS Star Trek films (some in P&S, some in LBX, some both), Indiana Jones Trilogy (just missing a LBX copy of Temple, only have it in P&S), Terminator 2 in P&S, a non-rotting DADC copy of Volcano, most of the major Disney animated films from the latter half of the 90s (now only missing Little Mermaid and Beauty & the Beast, not counting Mulan and Tarzan since they're Japanese only releases), and the 3M release of It's a Wonderful Life (in Color!).

Perspective wise, I managed to fill a 35 gallon tub just to hall these suckers home.

PostPosted: 08 Dec 2014, 20:48 
True fan
True fan

These posts are very humbling. I thought finding the Star Wars Definitive Collection for $40 was good. ;)

PostPosted: 09 Dec 2014, 18:24 
One deal that stands out for me was a Panasonic LX 900u for £60 off ebay in 2013, when it came it was brand new, unused in its sealed box, the only downside was it had been (strangely) packed with batteries in the remote, when I came to take the remote out of its packing the batteries had leaked and now I cant seem to fix it, but the player was literally brand new......Im always on the lookout for a replacement remote.

PostPosted: 10 Dec 2014, 13:37 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I bought a McIntosh MLD-7020 off of audiogon for $700. That doesn't sound like much of a deal, but at the time these were going for $1,000 plus on eBay. It arrived in the original box, mint condition all manuals and documentation. The nice surprise was that they through in a McIntosh RF demodulator. It wasn't mentioned in the deal at all.

I ended up selling the player a year later or so (for a profit) but I still have the demodulator. Now I kind of regret selling the player, but what are you going to do when you hit a rough patch and need a chunk of cash fast.

PostPosted: 11 Dec 2014, 15:41 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

Went to a Half Price Books this past weekend and scored a copy of The Godfather Trilogy: 1901-1980 for $8.

PostPosted: 11 Dec 2014, 16:45 
Honest fan
Honest fan

kiltymchaggis wrote:
Went to a Half Price Books this past weekend and scored a copy of The Godfather Trilogy: 1901-1980 for $8.

Love Half price, I've gotten a majority of my 100+ disc from them. Found a almost mint pulp fiction for 3-4 bucks, along with a copy of video essentials and a reference disc. The reference disc is kinda a weird one, has a hole chapter about following around 2 Japanese woman drinking tea and talking about shops in tokyo.

Page 2 of 5 [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next