It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 00:24

Page 3 of 5 [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: What is the best deal you have ever gotten on laserdiscs
PostPosted: 09 Nov 2015, 00:25 
When dvds first came out, Tower records was selling their dvd operas for $10. they originally sold for $80. I flew to LA, NYC, San Francisco and Salt Lake City and raided all those Tower Records of every opera they had. I got over 100 of them for the $10 price

PostPosted: 09 Nov 2015, 16:01 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Queensryche - Live In Tokyo less than 10$. Unbelievable and unbeatable.

PostPosted: 09 Nov 2015, 17:43 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Just scored the Neon Genesis Evangelion movie box set and the TV series box sets for 60 USD in total. They're all complete with obi strips and whatnot. The movie box set it self is opened, but the contents are still sealed. All in pristine condition. After doing a quick search here on LDDb and eBay, it seems to be a quite decent deal. Of course shipping costs a lot more, from Japan.

I also a few years ago bought a collection with player for 1500 NOK (about 170 USD). That's what got me started on collecting LD. The player was a Pioneer CLD-1750 and the seller said it was 100 movies. After counting them it was around 120. Not the best deal in the world, but compared to what's been popping up for sale lately on the Norwegian "craigslist", it was a steal.

PostPosted: 10 Nov 2015, 09:53 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

Awesome find on End of Evangelion!

My best though would be a free Craiglist ad I saw a while back ( Have imgur album of it - http://imgur.com/gallery/f8NHZ/ ). A good number of anime too ( second Evangelion dub disc :mrgreen: ). I was pretty excited considering I was just getting into laserdiscs. I also more recently got left-over stock from relatives of the owner of an old laserdisc store called "Laser Fanatic". That one cost $90, but I got a CLD-D703 and ~120 discs (notable being sealed Star Wars SE Box). It also had quite a lot of music lds (Bealtes-Let It Be, but sadly a tad rotted) and p0rn lol (didn't look through lot before buy). As it was left-over stock, I assume there was a sale, and you can kinda see that from the selection but still interested in odder ones. Have imgur of that too - http://imgur.com/a/fRH7D

PostPosted: 25 Mar 2016, 14:49 
Third post and above
Third post and above

My Story starts with the purchase of a DVL-90 from someone on a Facebook page that checked out ( lots of people had dealings with this person and got good reviews )
Paid 200$ plus 50$ shipping to get the player ( a tad over my budget but made sense to start with top of the line for a little over my budget )
Over the next few weeks I bought discs here and there ( totaling about 40 discs for 120$ on ebay ) not horrible but I knew I could do better on prices.
A few weeks go by and I see what I think is a good deal ( not amazing, but good ) 400 discs ( somewhere between 300-400 realistically ) and a player. There was a pic of the player but I couldnt make out the model number, could be an LD-S2 but not sure. I think ok, this is worth the 2 hr trip.
Drive the 2 hours. Now at this point I was here for the discs, unknown if they player worked or what it really was. Gentleman pulls out a LD-S2... we turn it on and door doesnt open... I give it a few minutes as it is VERY cold... opens fine after warming up. Put a disc in and no result ( sigh, ok well I can look at it when I get home ) So I load up the truck, all the discs, pay the 200$ and I am on my way.
I get home... take the player out and do a quick google search ( takes 15-20 seconds before movie starts playing ) ok... So i hook it all up... boom 20 seconds and the movie starts playing.
I test a movie, both sides all the way through ( no auto flip so I wasnt interested in keeping the player ). Low and behold the person I bought my DVL-90 from wanted an LD-S2. I know he gave me a decent deal on this player so I sold it to him for what I had into it plus shipping ( 80$ btw, WOW that thing is heavy )
So in the end, I got 400 ish discs and a player for 200$, sold the player for 200 and some change plus shipping, kept the discs. I have since sold a chunk of the discs ( about 30 titles ) Ranging from semi rare to p0rn and made another 200$.

So to get into the LD game I spent:
$250 on player
$150 on Ebay discs ( with shipping )
Totaling $400 initial investment

I then bought 400 discs and a player for $200
Sold the player for 200 and change so I am at $400 investment ( still )
I sold 30 discs for around $200

My investment is now at $200
I have a DVD recorder on the way for the comb filter and a AC-3 RF Demodulator on the way ( 100$ between the 2 invested )
So my total investment, for a Player, Comb Filter and up scaler to HDMI, demodulator and my current library sits around 350-400 movies for 300$
I went ahead and ordered a Bracket, belt and a cushion ( common parts to break on my player ) today for about 50$ ( insurance policy )

Seems like a good deal doesnt it?

PostPosted: 25 Mar 2016, 16:01 
Serious fan
Serious fan

i got a
SONY Writable CLV Optical Disc [WHD-3AL0]
for 15,45€ / $17,25

PostPosted: 25 Mar 2016, 18:37 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I don't buy LD's in bulk so I cannot post a bulk great deal here. However, I did get a copy of Ben Hur, 35'th anniversary box set in January for the paltry sum of $1.00 plus $4.95 shipping from Amazon. The box set consists of 4 LD's in Letter Box standard play format. The fifth LD is a documentary on the filming of the movie. The whole box set is in good condition with the LD's in fine condition.
CED
934-54780150, 934.54810350, SJT-200, CED-1, 3-VIP1000, VIP201P

PostPosted: 28 Mar 2016, 03:27 
Honest fan
Honest fan

The friendships I've made with buying and selling laserdiscs surpass any DEALS

Some pricy laserdiscs have been obtained cheap with just about all of us.
...however the priceless friendships are worth more than anything else in the end
8-) :P 8-)

PostPosted: 31 Mar 2016, 01:22 
Third post and above
Third post and above

"The Beatles Anthology" complete for about $20. Tower Records liquidation sale.

PostPosted: 03 Apr 2016, 19:43 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

50+ Laserdiscs and two players that need TLC for free.

PostPosted: 12 Apr 2016, 19:26 
I’m not sure how the deal I made last week rates. Previously my best deal was 400 LDs for $125. Kept half and the half I sold more than recouped the $125.
Last week I bought a lot with 3 LD players, about 200 regular LDs and about 350 LDs without covers in these storage cases where the disk holder tilts forward. I’ve sold one LD player and will likely sell some duplicates and kids LDs so I’ll likely break even this week. Just not sure what to do about the 350 LDs in the storage cases.

PostPosted: 25 Jul 2016, 22:12 
Picked up 132 discs and a LD player for $50.
The seller wanted initially $100, and took my offer. Of course, their is always a certain number of duplicates. Their are 32 discs with AC3, even though the player he gave me wasn't so equipped.
The player came with the original remote, power cord, original owners manual, and a copy of his five year service contract he purchased from Rabson's Stereo, located in Brooklyn. Expired 1998.
Unfortunately, the player a Panasonic LX900U, doesn't work. Power on, and only the laser assembly moves back and forth.
Would appreciate any help, as I understand it is a good player.

PostPosted: 31 Jul 2016, 17:57 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Good day Guys,

Now this brings back memories from way back when US LD production ended in 1999, and soon after the warehouses that stocked then cleared all of their Laserdisc inventory for a fraction of the former cost example;

The independent AV Retailer who imported US / And Japanese Laserdiscs "THE DISC EMPORIUM" based at Knebworth in the UK ordered in bulk from the US many LD DTS and Numerous AC-3 titles.

Most DTS titles sold from £48 to £60 in the UK, and the clearance stock was being sold for £20 each all new & sealed.

Laserdisc's that once sold for £100 were being sold for £30, and of course I reserved many, I thought I had to as this would never come along again.

It was an amazing time but also a sad one, as I would have liked this format to continue and improve as it was going to.
I remember reading of Pioneers future plans for Laserdisc, in which it was working on a single sided Polycarbonite Laserdisc with high definition and beyond Video Content............ I believe Pioneer still has licences / blueprints and so on.

However the above will never fit in to today's markets as niche markets are so very rare and not viable...... to much of a risk.

About six months ago I also purchased ''THE TEN COMMANDMENTS" for £5 on ebay.... this is a great collectors piece gate fold remastered in Dolby Digital Brand new and sealed.

This would have sold for around £60 pounds in the UK in it's day.

Kind regards to everyone

:thumbup: :wave: :thumbup: :wave:

PostPosted: 31 Jul 2016, 18:02 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

laminarflow wrote:
Picked up 132 discs and a LD player for $50.
The seller wanted initially $100, and took my offer. Of course, their is always a certain number of duplicates. Their are 32 discs with AC3, even though the player he gave me wasn't so equipped.
The player came with the original remote, power cord, original owners manual, and a copy of his five year service contract he purchased from Rabson's Stereo, located in Brooklyn. Expired 1998.
Unfortunately, the player a Panasonic LX900U, doesn't work. Power on, and only the laser assembly moves back and forth.
Would appreciate any help, as I understand it is a good player.

Good evening from the UK Laminarflow,

Just read your post....... well done on the purchase you made, and I sincerely hope that you are able to fix the Panasonic LX900U Player.

Kind Regards

:thumbup: :wave: :wave:

PostPosted: 01 Aug 2016, 12:49 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Had a few good deals with players & with people dumping collections over the years but one that was a surprise & a bargain was also a lucky find.

Passing a charity shop & popped in on the off-chance that an LD or two may be among the items, picked up a few like that over the years. On this occasion among the usual 12" records that were in a box priced at £1 each or 7 for £5 was a single sealed LD. It was an LD that I was aware may have existed but could not find any details of (now updated to the database) so was more than happy to have found it. I have no idea how a single sealed Japanese F1 LD found its way to be among the usual vinyl LPs you would expect in most charity shops that still take in/sell vinyl. The assistant said that they had been "in stock" for a few years & rarely sold, they also had no idea what laserdiscs were & had no other LDs in stock - I paid the £1 & popped a couple of £s into the collection tin on the counter & left the shop a very happy chap.

It was the 1986 F-1 Review as released by Duke Marketing in the UK on VHS video back in the day on MCLF-001. Sealed & in perfect condition, picked up another copy (it came without the booklet though) soon after - a bit like buses where you wait for ages then lots turn up close together.

That "most wanted" LD may be out there somewhere when least expected.

Happy hunting folks.

PostPosted: 22 Sep 2016, 18:53 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

Over the last 2 months I've made 3 trips to raid a former Pioneer Laserdisc Dealer's store stock. He literally closed shop in the 90s and brought everything home and set it up in a special room in his house. 2600+ discs, all sealed, plus Laserdisc promo items (original racks, t-shirts, lighted signs, banners, posters, etc). It was like something out of a dream. I picked the hell out of those discs and left the commons for someone else to deal with (I don't need 10 sealed copies of Jurassic Park, thank you very much). I had to leave the racks as well, as I had nowhere to put them. I did, however, talk him out of a Pioneer display case with a VP-1000 (that had only played 1 disc since new to make sure it worked), CX decoder, and original remote).

Tons of sealed 80s discs including some primo horror titles. I also came home with 4 sealed copies of Rad that looked like they were manufactured yesterday. I still have 3 of them.

Not the best deal as far as pricing was concerned, but the best deal ever as far as the quality of material.

PostPosted: 22 Sep 2016, 20:48 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

shinchan wrote:
I also came home with 4 sealed copies of Rad that looked like they were manufactured yesterday. I still have 3 of them.

A few people would be interested in those, a rather sought after title.

PostPosted: 22 Sep 2016, 20:50 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

je280 wrote:
shinchan wrote:
I also came home with 4 sealed copies of Rad that looked like they were manufactured yesterday. I still have 3 of them.

A few people would be interested in those, a rather sought after title.

Believe me, I'm aware. I've been collecting and selling LDs since the 90s.

PostPosted: 29 Sep 2016, 06:36 
Second post
Second post

12 dollars for Star trek TNG 13-18 on 3 disks.
Star trek DS9: Emissary.
aaaand
Star Wars Episode 1.

The cases are...a tad worse for ware, apparently their basement flooded at one point...but hey, more than worth 12 bucks.

PostPosted: 06 Oct 2016, 05:04 
True fan
True fan

Just bought a nice collection for the bargain price of $8'990.-

Page 3 of 5 [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next