takou wrote:
Just bought a nice collection for the bargain price of $8'990.-

No you didn't:0

Post subject: Re: What is the best deal you have ever gotten on laserdiscs
PostPosted: 06 Oct 2016, 14:08 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

shinchan wrote:
Over the last 2 months I've made 3 trips to raid a former Pioneer Laserdisc Dealer's store stock. He literally closed shop in the 90s and brought everything home and set it up in a special room in his house. 2600+ discs, all sealed, plus Laserdisc promo items (original racks, t-shirts, lighted signs, banners, posters, etc). It was like something out of a dream. I picked the hell out of those discs and left the commons for someone else to deal with (I don't need 10 sealed copies of Jurassic Park, thank you very much). I had to leave the racks as well, as I had nowhere to put them. I did, however, talk him out of a Pioneer display case with a VP-1000 (that had only played 1 disc since new to make sure it worked), CX decoder, and original remote).

Tons of sealed 80s discs including some primo horror titles. I also came home with 4 sealed copies of Rad that looked like they were manufactured yesterday. I still have 3 of them.

Not the best deal as far as pricing was concerned, but the best deal ever as far as the quality of material.

:o Totally awesome. Rad even.

PostPosted: 13 Oct 2016, 09:05 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

So far it has to be the Beast Wars complete set for $22 +$43 S&H. $65 for both boxes is a great deal compared to the $100-300 range I've seen on eBay for only one of the two boxes. I'm grateful I knew where to look!

PostPosted: 13 Oct 2016, 22:07 
Second post
Second post

First round of good deals (early 2015): 30 or so classic movies (Casablanca, Gigi, the like) with the bargain basement late 80s Pioneer player all for $30. The player had its problems, color-flashing at the beginning of every LaserDisc being the worst. I tweaked with the adjustment screws until I minimized the problems as best as I could, then sold that for $20 after buying a CLD-2710K further in the future (for $20). The best value there being a near-pristine copy of 2001, with the funnest find being a music video disc from The Motels.

Second round (late 2015): Somebody opens up a new electronics booth at my local flea market, with three crates of LaserDiscs at a dollar a piece. Most of what I bought was very unremarkable (especially Warlock, I bought that to make fun of, as well as The Pallbearer), but LaserDiscs at a dollar a piece are hard to pass up.

Third round (about a month ago): Somebody else opens up a mish-mash booth and hides a bunch of LaserDiscs behind vinyls (remember this for Goodwill, kids. They usually lump LaserDiscs into the vinyl section). There I found a bunch of music video LaserDiscs, including David Bowie, Thomas Dolby, Tears for Fears and Supertramp. Also found Midnight Express and John Carpenter's "Christine" there, for a buck a piece as well. Only wound up spending about $20 that trip.

Fourth round (two weeks ago): At a video gaming-oriented event of all places, I found The Rocketeer for $5, Deathstalker for $5, C.H.U.D. for $10, a bunch of those CGI discs (think Beyond the Mind's Eye and Computer Dream) for $10, and I decided to NOT get a copy of The Keep for $50 (because it was too expensive :roll:). Currently kicking myself for that right now, but the next round makes up for that.

Fifth Round (yesterday): Oliver Stone's "The Doors" for $8.50, Close Encounters of the Third Kind Collector's Edition for $8, The Omen for $2, Forbidden World for $6, all from various people on Amazon.

PostPosted: 20 Oct 2016, 12:44 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Not so much best deal got but best deal given I decided to clear out no less than 153 films (including some duplicates) and sold them along with my CLD-1450 for £50 just cause I needed the space. I only paid £40 for it and I know I could of got a lot more parting it all out but I made my money back plus a bit so I'm happy.

PostPosted: 31 Oct 2016, 22:49 
laminarflow wrote:
Picked up 132 discs and a LD player for $50.
The seller wanted initially $100, and took my offer. Of course, their is always a certain number of duplicates. Their are 32 discs with AC3, even though the player he gave me wasn't so equipped.
The player came with the original remote, power cord, original owners manual, and a copy of his five year service contract he purchased from Rabson's Stereo, located in Brooklyn. Expired 1998.
Unfortunately, the player a Panasonic LX900U, doesn't work. Power on, and only the laser assembly moves back and forth.
Would appreciate any help, as I understand it is a good player.

Fixed the LX900U. I replaced the load belt, and it works fine. Vey quiet in operation.

PostPosted: 01 Nov 2016, 02:21 
True fan
True fan

laminarflow wrote:
laminarflow wrote:
Picked up 132 discs and a LD player for $50.
The seller wanted initially $100, and took my offer. Of course, their is always a certain number of duplicates. Their are 32 discs with AC3, even though the player he gave me wasn't so equipped.
The player came with the original remote, power cord, original owners manual, and a copy of his five year service contract he purchased from Rabson's Stereo, located in Brooklyn. Expired 1998.
Unfortunately, the player a Panasonic LX900U, doesn't work. Power on, and only the laser assembly moves back and forth.
Would appreciate any help, as I understand it is a good player.

Fixed the LX900U. I replaced the load belt, and it works fine. Vey quiet in operation.

I have a couple Panasonic players and I find them much more enjoyable to use. Nice pick up and save!

PostPosted: 30 Nov 2016, 20:03 
True fan
True fan

About 4 years ago I was looking on ebay and there was "Sleepy Hollow" as a "buy it now" for 35.00. I couldn't make the payment fast enough. The value was no less than it is now 4 years ago, so it was a great deal. Actually I don't care for the film too much but had to go for it. I ended up selling it a year later for much more. I would rather it have been "Bringing out the Dead" which I would definitely have hung onto.

PostPosted: 30 Nov 2016, 20:10 
Serious fan
Serious fan

remington wrote:
About 4 years ago I was looking on ebay and there was "Sleepy Hollow" as a "buy it now" for 35.00. I couldn't make the payment fast enough. The value was no less than it is now 4 years ago, so it was a great deal. Actually I don't care for the film too much but had to go for it. I ended up selling it a year later for much more. I would rather it have been "Bringing out the Dead" which I would definitely have hung onto.

Wow, awesome deal. Probably been brought up before, but what is the ballpark number of copies produced for these later releases? Hundreds? Thousands?

PostPosted: 03 Dec 2016, 02:12 
True fan
True fan

That's a good question. I don't know the answer . I know that people typically hold onto the later releases, especially the last 10, which makes it seem as though they were made in limited quantities. So hard to find a copy of "The sixth Day" and "The Cell." And if you do, you'd better have some serious extra cash around.

PostPosted: 03 Dec 2016, 11:13 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

The rare Oskar Fischinger Laserdisc in a 5 Euro box.
( Between " Der Förster im Silberwald" und "Barbapapa" in dutch language without subtitles )
Almost nobody had the patience to look carefully into this "ugly box".

PostPosted: 23 Dec 2016, 08:44 
True fan
True fan

I paid $80 for a Pioneer LD-V8000 (also known as the LD-V800), their top-of-the-line industrial player. Average seek time, even on a CLD disc? .05 of a second. The thing is a tank, but has a high tolerance for playing even the most defective of discs. Plays NTCS only. Signal sided play only.

http://www.laserdiscarchive.co.uk/laser ... -v8000.htm

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2017, 19:19 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

About a month ago there was a heap of great-looking LDs at a neighborhood thrift shop, perhaps a bulk load from an estate sale. There were 100+ LDs total, most in terrific condition, including many great titles of late '90s vintage (e.g., "The Matrix" (1999) [17665], "Bringing Out the Dead" (1999) [LV335643-WS]), as well as several infamous rotters.

I was thrilled to discover a copy of "The Iron Giant" (1999) [17644], which I kept for myself. Otherwise I already had copies (or formerly had copies) of the other notable titles, so I left them there to make someone else's day.

All of them, including the box sets, were sold for the standard LP price of $1.99 each.

PostPosted: 07 Jan 2017, 06:38 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

It's now either the $35 for all 14 volumes of Star Trek TNG (JP) or $88 for all 5 volumes of Star Trek Voyager (JP). Though shipping from the middleman to the US on the TNG set will probably offset any major savings hahah...ugh.

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2017, 19:34 
True fan
True fan

Pokemon movie for about 20 EUR
The Mummy (1999) for less than 10 EUR
Nightwatch (1999) for about 28 EUR
Dark City (1999) for about 4 EUR

Akira Special collection: around 5 EUR
Ghost in the shell Premium box: around 5 EUR

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2017, 19:45 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

How about a deal that was bad?

Some months ago, I bought a copy of First Men in the Moon off an Amazon seller for about $15.00. When I got my copy, there was a surprise. There was no laserdisc, just the cardboard holder. I had paid for an empty box/sleeve (whatever you call it). Needless to say, i got my money back from Amazon. I have no idea what the seller was thinking when he packaged the holder. You would have thought that he would have noticed that there was no LD.

Maybe it was a good deal if you collect cardboard sleeves.
CED
934-54780150, 934.54810350, SJT-200, CED-1, 3-VIP1000, VIP201P

PostPosted: 08 Feb 2017, 00:40 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Song of the South - .95, Unforgiven "Squeeze" - 1.95, Star Wars Trilogy: The Definitive Collection - 2.95. Many more, but those are the top 3.

HD DVD: HD-A2, HD-XA2, HD-A3, HD-A30, HD-A35, 360x2

PostPosted: 19 Mar 2017, 15:36 
True fan
True fan

Cliffhanger Squeeze LD 1500 yen

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2018, 06:21 
Third post and above
Third post and above

Been wanting to acquire a LD player for many years, but since discs are very hard to find locally, it's mostly useless item, so never wanted to spend noticeable amount on it. And finally found a player for 4 euros in flea market, Sony MDP-850D. Some guy sold it as non-working, I thought that even as a spares unit it's worth much more. It didn't power on at all... But after googling for a while, found a remedy in certain forum, someone had the same problem before. I had to change a single capacitor, which costs as much as a box of matches, and now the player is alive again! Don't have any LDs yet, but tried out with music CDs and they play well. Good thing that this player is multisystem, if it was PAL only I'd sell it ASAP since most of things I want to get are in NTSC only.

Also, had lots of very awesome scores throughout the years in my main collecting field - LPs and CDs. Too numerous to list. Lots of money had been made, and spent again to buy even more discs.

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2018, 09:12 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Star Wars Definitive Collection New Sealed 10.-

300 LDs choosed out of 1000 from a person who died, trough a friend for free.

Page 4 of 5 [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next