It is currently 17 Apr 2024, 00:12

Page 2 of 2 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: How are your newer tvs not analog doing playing laserdis
PostPosted: 06 Jan 2014, 00:51 
yup, couldn't beat the price around Thanksgiving & I did NOT have to get it at wmart another store had it at wmarts price & I got it during daylight not the pm mess wmart has once a year.

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2014, 21:48 
Serious fan
Serious fan

I currently have 2 TVs (LCD) that have S-VHS input and my laserdiscs look great. Being a PAL TV, (I can play pure NTSC) I have to turn down the brightness and contract so no problems. But here's the big BUT. Once I go for an OLED next year I'll have to invest in a very expensive video processor like DVOEDGE as the UK stopped making TV's with S-VHS input over 2 years ago.
So a lot of money involved in 2015. To be fair I though the introduction of HD would kill my enjoyment of laserdisc but it hasn't and in a lot of cases I have laserdiscs which have failed to be spectacular on blu-ray for various reasons.
So I'm still a fan after all these years.
I watched the original Star Wars the other day and it looked superb but it was a shock seeing it after years of only viewing the new version that had been around since 1996..

Roger Shore

PostPosted: 01 Sep 2014, 00:42 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I just bought a used unit of the excellent Pioneer Kuro series. I bought an HD ready ( 720p ) unit. The model name is Pioneer Kuro PDP-508XD .

Its upscaling capabilities are supposed to be of a very high quality and I can confirm it. I tried a Karaoke LD on my new TV and it just looks excellent, much better
than on my older LG SD rear projection TV. But the Pioneer Kuro was released at a time when analogue video sources were still common and therefore they were
keen on providing a very good picture on SD sources. I can really recommend this TV in conjunction with an LD player.
You will not get a better picture out of LDs. I have never seen such a good picture coming out of a LD player so far.

PostPosted: 02 Sep 2014, 22:55 
Serious fan
Serious fan

OH bro, the picture I get is like HD, I know people will say it is not so, but the colours are retina burning and the blacks are deep like the sea. Okay the detail is not there like on bluray, but the solid colour space beats current HD easy, and it has a cinema softness that i enjoy, something that lacks on bluray and other formats. We all know the sound is sound, but I really get excited (non-sexually) when I watch a film on lasersdisc, it truly feels like a movie experience and not a film, and more so like 3-D than anything else.

PostPosted: 03 Sep 2014, 00:09 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

my LED 32 inch is great, I think the issue to make sure you go for is a lower picture quality ie 720
also make sure to turn all PQ very low or even off to zero, gives me a really nice image and i'm running composite only to the TV.

PostPosted: 03 Sep 2014, 00:44 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

rein-o wrote:
my LED 32 inch is great, I think the issue to make sure you go for is a lower picture quality ie 720
also make sure to turn all PQ very low or even off to zero, gives me a really nice image and i'm running composite only to the TV.

Yes that is very true ! I was also offered a Pioneer Kuro Full HD set but the seller already told me that standard resolution TV as well as DVDs
look much better on the HD ready set and I figured this would count for my LDs and Sega Dreamcast games, too.

Ye
mercury77 wrote:
OH bro, the picture I get is like HD, I know people will say it is not so, but the colours are retina burning and the blacks are deep like the sea. Okay the detail is not there like on bluray, but the solid colour space beats current HD easy, and it has a cinema softness that i enjoy, something that lacks on bluray and other formats. We all know the sound is sound, but I really get excited (non-sexually) when I watch a film on lasersdisc, it truly feels like a movie experience and not a film, and more so like 3-D than anything else.

Are you referring to the Pioneer Kuro ? Do you have one too ?

PostPosted: 05 Sep 2014, 08:04 
Serious fan
Serious fan

No, I was dead against any digital upscaling/video processor being used as it goes against laserdisc by turning it digital from analogue. But then my mate wanted a digital processor but did not have alot of money...and so based on a recommendation by another user here, I was directed to the CVBS Analog 3RCA S-Video to Digital HDMI AV Audio Video Converter Scaler 1080P on ebay...I helped him hook it up and saw the results, I was amazed hot it looked,and as it was a very inexpensive piece of hardware. So I got one myself and hooked it up as a test. OMG, the quality on many discs just got richer. The blacks go blacker, and the colours feel deeper. Resolution isnt increased to show detail like blu ray, but there is less noise, a cleaner picture, and it means you can see more of the image, which is a little bit of a bad thing as you see now the difference of laserdisc to bluray in terms of detail. Also theres less jaggies....

PostPosted: 05 Sep 2014, 17:11 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Unless you have an old enough player, it's already too late to avoid digital processing in the player. Even the 2950 (one of the last analog/CCD TBC players) has the composite fed into a digital 3-line comb filter, then fed into analog NR. (The signal processing on most of the 90's players is a bit of a mess, IMO)

By the time all-digital processing in LD players became viable (early/mid 90's) there wasn't enough volume with the onset of DVD to do it. (There was for VHS, from what I can tell. There's plenty of literature on various levels of digital processing from each of the major Japanese companies)

Back on topic: It's all about the quality of the processing and how it handles analog sources. My 2009 1080P Panasonic 32" does fine with LD, it even has a 3D comb filter. Turns the 406 into a poor man's/noisier R7G (mine was $30 and just needed an output level tweak) :thumbup:

PostPosted: 06 Sep 2014, 23:38 
Serious fan
Serious fan

With the new OLED 4k upscaling and now it's been confirmed we'll have 4K blu-ray next year and the new generation of digital processors, our laserdiscs will look just as spectacular on new TV's. It's just a mater of much money you are prepared to pay and what laserdisc player your are using.

PostPosted: 07 Sep 2014, 16:08 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

The old Teco 42" LCD TV I use is pretty good for laserdisc, I'd say the quality is nearly as good as my previous CRT 32" WS TV, apart from contrast being a little poorer - but since I rarely watch TV in daylight this isn't much of a problem. More importantly, one of the graphics modes expands letterboxed standard format horizontally and vertically, which is something the old TV wouldn't do - I'd strongly recommend checking for this if you buy any new TV, I suspect that manufacturers may omit this facility since it isn't needed for modern DVD/BR/HD recorders etc.

PostPosted: 09 Sep 2014, 08:46 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

roger wrote:
With the new OLED 4k upscaling and now it's been confirmed we'll have 4K blu-ray next year and the new generation of digital processors, our laserdiscs will look just as spectacular on new TV's. It's just a mater of much money you are prepared to pay and what laserdisc player your are using.

I could almost bet my left nut that the next generation of digital processors that'll handle 4k (and Lumagens is already available to buy)
will not include _any_ analogue support anymore at all, because nobody who is into 4k will still care about that. But of course we'll have
to wait and see. Also, the fun will start right from the beginning again: You'll have to buy all your fave movies again on 4k, yay!

PostPosted: 09 Sep 2014, 15:36 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

well we will always have coaxial to connect our cable or antenna, and they do make some really nice RCA composite to coax :mrgreen:

and I think smaller sets will always be lower PQ so it will have or won't be an issue etc.

PostPosted: 09 Sep 2014, 16:27 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

I'll just have to have two different setups. One for my lower res video, and one for 4K.

PostPosted: 09 Sep 2014, 16:28 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

And probably buy a few more large Sony WEGAs and put them in storage for when my 40" finally gives up the ghost.

PostPosted: 09 Sep 2014, 19:22 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

lons_vex wrote:
roger wrote:

I could almost bet my left nut that the next generation of digital processors that'll handle 4k (and Lumagens is already available to buy)
will not include _any_ analogue support anymore at all, because nobody who is into 4k will still care about that. But of course we'll have
to wait and see. Also, the fun will start right from the beginning again: You'll have to buy all your fave movies again on 4k, yay!

when that time comes, i'll just have to employ external analog processing. no sweat...

PostPosted: 10 Sep 2014, 09:57 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

I have two laser disc player. The pioneer cld-v2300d connected via composite to sharp lcd hd-ready 37-inch, picture quality is very good. The pioneer cld-1500 connected to the projector dlp sharp (not HD) the picture is great, always via composite!!!

PostPosted: 10 Sep 2014, 22:11 
Serious fan
Serious fan

I'll bet that the TV's will be able to support any new DVEdge processors that come along.
And since the new 4k upscaling is vastly superior to current ones, I don't see any problems with any analogue devices you own.

PostPosted: 11 Sep 2014, 00:16 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

ask yourself if you noticed any decrease in quality from 720p set to 1080p? chances are no you didn't then 4k will improve over 2k. Its de-interlacing and comb filtering that is challenging. Since analog composite is long dead and interlaced sources are near history, I don't expect any improvement on those two. Scaling is rather simpler, even more so on analog LD with no compression. There is no banding, pixilation, macro blocking to begin with which are the headaches of digital source up scaling.

I would say expect similar results. it will be just more difficult to watch such low res on LD after getting used to native 4k films. even watching an ld after a bd at 1080p is torchuring sometimes.

Page 2 of 2 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2