It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 09:36

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 
 Post subject: Special BBC Presentation The Royal Wedding
PostPosted: 19 Jan 2015, 09:59 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Okay so I'm doing this as a request from another user, but also to satisfy my own curiosities about this disc.

So I have scoured the internet for more information on this laserdisc in a bid to update the LDDB. The disc I have seems to be the only copy in existence. Cessnaace does not even have a copy.!
On the back of the disc there is a mass of info about the day and it's contents. Here some of the comments on the back:

" BBC Video is proud to present this specially made videobook, issued to mark the wedding of His Royal Highness, Prince Charles and Lady Diana Spencer.
This video book gives you the best possible view of the gorgeous and stately procession through the streets of London, the moving, magnificent service in the cathedral and the Royal Family's balcony appearance at Buckingham Palace in front of the cheering crowds......."

It does go on more about where and who are involved and how this is the best way to view bar being there on the day. It also states the music that the prince chose personally himself.

It has 10 chapters per side and is two hours long. CLV mode and in Stereo as the front states.
But something really nice is the way it states the Order of Service and credits on the back as well. A great note for enthusiasts of the Royal family, I almost feel guilty for having this as I'm sure someone else would enjoy this disc more than I. But it is great to have as a record of the event. The picture quality is brilliant for the age of the disc. There is no noise on the picture and is in full frame. This is a complete analogue disc with no Digital tracks, but there is no rot whatsoever, even the disc is cleaner than some more recent. I'm guessing the person before me never played it, slight edge wear to the jacket, but then who hasn't. Other than that it is near mint.

So there we go, if anyone can find or has any more info on this disc I would be grateful for it......but after two weeks of looking myself I can not find anything. But then again I haven't got every magazine out there. SO please dive into your magazines and books and let me know what you find.......

Post subject: Re: Special BBC Presentation The Royal Wedding
PostPosted: 19 Jan 2015, 16:55 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

I have the MUSE disc "Imperial Wedding Ceremony", which documents the marriage of their Crown Prince. Apparently there was also a NTSC release on the same topic, although I don't believe that it was the exact same programme.
Only tangentially relevant, but I thought to mention it.

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2015, 13:24 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

mercury77 wrote:
The disc I have seems to be the only copy in existence.

Looking at : Royal Wedding, The (1981) [BBCV 5013L] there are 6 pcs in a collections [the onces that are registred].

I agree this is a "non-common" title, like some other BBCV laservision discs, I expect this is due to the fact it are 1982 discs so at the real beginning of the Laservision introduction in the UK. I also doubt BBC did export these title outside the UK.

For example this disc, was released after the VHS release, the "Radio Times" on December 13th 1981 :

"An opportunity to look back at the colour and spectacle of Royal Wedding Day. The sun shone, the crowds cheered and millions of viewers around the world watched as Lady Diana Spencer became Princess of Wales and wife of the heir to the throne.
Commentator TOM FLEMING
Producer MICHAEL LUMLEY
A BBC video cassette of the Royal Wedding (BBCV 5013), £39.95, from retailers"

Quoted from : http://genome.ch.bbc.co.uk/search/0/20?adv=0&q=royal+wedding+bbcv+5013&media=all&yf=1923&yt=2009&mf=1&mt=12&tf=00%3A00&tt=00%3A00#search

BTW on the genome.ch.bbc.co.uk search on `videodisc` for other BBCV releases.

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2015, 18:13 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Yeah - it was definitely released in VHS here (I found a copy @ the local thrift not long ago), but no LD alas.

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2015, 01:07 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Hey yeah thanks for the info, didn't know that about the database. The number in the wishlist, does this mean only 1 person has it in their wishlist or am I reading that wrong.?
Thanks for the info about the VHS, that's all I could find out about the release as well. But if anyone has a laserdisc magazine from that year, something maybe in there if not to just mention the imports...?x

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2015, 04:02 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

It probably wouldn't have been imported - there were (almost?) no PAL players ever released in the US.

PostPosted: 22 Jan 2015, 13:57 
Serious fan
Serious fan

the wishlist is me - I like uncommon documentaries :mrgreen:

but shurely not worth more than 50usd ... 50GBP for insane ebay prices ... still want it :ugeek:

PostPosted: 22 Jan 2015, 23:15 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I may be wrong, but I have a feeling there was a CED release too, as well as VHS. The cover looks vaguely familiar, there was a period when Woolworths in the UK were selling off CEDs cheaply and I think that was one of them.

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2015, 01:42 
Serious fan
Serious fan

It is a treat to watch....maybe one day I will get around to doing some screen shots.....I will put it on my list to do within the next few weeks.

It's a real shame laserdisc never took of in Britain as it did in the USA and Japan. I think Elton John as the only supporter of laserdisc in the 80s.
But such is life, at least we can still sit back and watch the lovely titles from our youths the way they were meant to be seen.

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2015, 18:59 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

There are probably quite a few around in the hands of memorabilia collectors. There are people around who will buy anything - and I mean anything - that has Diana on the cover.

True story - a few years ago I wrote a role playing game called Diana: Warrior Princess which is basically our world given the Xena treatment; wildly distorted history, our world as imagined by TV series makers a couple of thousand years in the future. It sold moderately well, and I only got one negative review, which read:

Quote:
When I ordered this book I was sooooo excited. I have over 500 Princess Diana books and I tend to prefer the more obscure books. Who wants to keep reading the same old story over and over again?
I however was NOT expecting this book to be a role playing game. Some people may love this type of thing but I found it offensive. There is no mention of Diana's death so this notion that she is alive in this game is rather disturbing to this reader. Fergie appears as Diana's goofy friend that is always getting into trouble leading to Diana rescueing her time after time again. HRH, Prince Charles is one of the villianous charachters but Her Majesty, Queen Elizabeth ll is a vicious ruler hell bent on murdering Diana. A murderous queen is the closest we get to a realistic situation. But this book is just to close to home for me to be a game. I don't mean to sound snooty but a Princess Diana game is comparable to a John F. Kennedy role playing game. It's just a bit too disrespectful to the memory of incredibly special people who died tragic deaths. I felt like she was being lampooned at her memories expense. A Princess Diana Trivial Pursuit game I can handle but this warped fantasy is not this devotees cup of tea. If you want a good Diana fiction book I suggest "Whose Death in the Tunnel" by Aaron McCullum Becker or "Di and I" by Peter Leftcourt both of which are availble here at Amazon!

I'm willing to bet that this guy has the laserdisc, the VHS tape, and the CED (if I'm right about there being one), and there are probably dozens of others like him.

PostPosted: 17 Mar 2022, 03:18 
First post
First post

We are cleaning out my father-in-laws possessions and in box there are about video 25 laser discs.
One of them is the Charles and Diana BBC The Royal Wedding catalogue No. BBCV 5013L Colour PAL/SECAM 625 lines. We are totally ignorant of whether these discs are collectable. I have done a quick check on the net to gauge if they have any value or do we just try to dispose of them cheaply on EBay or bin them all which is probably sacrilege to collectors out there. I live in Australia. Unfortunately we got rid of the player many years ago.

PostPosted: 17 Mar 2022, 04:24 
Site Admin
Site Admin

gastero wrote:
We are cleaning out my father-in-laws possessions and in box there are about video 25 laser discs.
One of them is the Charles and Diana BBC The Royal Wedding catalogue No. BBCV 5013L Colour PAL/SECAM 625 lines. We are totally ignorant of whether these discs are collectable.

Collection: 18
Wishlist: 0

I'd say... not that much!

Julien

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ]