It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 10:25

Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Another submission that exists! UK NTSC?
PostPosted: 04 Mar 2013, 05:29 
True fan
True fan

I just added this to my collection. It wasn't in the database so I submitted it:

TITLE: Bach and Italy
PUBLISHER: NAXOS
CATALOG REFRENCE: 3.110069
STANDARD: NTSC

Copyright 1992 HNH International Ltd.
Manufactured in Japan. By who? Mint-O-Matic doesn't know.

MINT MARKS:
3.110069-A02-P 0347E405
DD-5A-B39-P 7732E305

Title and publisher are printed on the top of the jacket as well as the side spine.

STAY AWESOME! :)

Mark

Attachments:
File comment: Front jacket.
Image192.jpg
Image192.jpg [ 123.78 KiB | Viewed 4500 times ]

Post subject: Re: Another submission that exists! UK NTSC?
PostPosted: 04 Mar 2013, 05:31 
True fan
True fan

Photo 2

Attachments:
File comment: Close-up front jacket
Image193.jpg
Image193.jpg [ 118.18 KiB | Viewed 4498 times ]

PostPosted: 04 Mar 2013, 05:34 
True fan
True fan

Photo 3

Notice the British spelling 'Colour.'

Attachments:
File comment: Close-up rear jacket.
Image194.jpg
Image194.jpg [ 114.06 KiB | Viewed 4496 times ]

PostPosted: 04 Mar 2013, 05:36 
True fan
True fan

Final photo.

Attachments:
File comment: Disc label.
Image195.jpg
Image195.jpg [ 126.88 KiB | Viewed 4496 times ]

PostPosted: 04 Mar 2013, 08:44 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Its kind of amazing how many LDs aren't in the already huge LDDB. I've added a couple myself and probably have one of the smaller collections here (less than 300).

Just last week I entered Another 83's Memory: Film Collections of Mobile Suit Gundam 0083 Part 2 [PLL-3]

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 04 Mar 2013, 09:03 
True fan
True fan

signofzeta wrote:
Its kind of amazing how many LDs aren't in the already huge LDDB. I've added a couple myself and probably have one of the smaller collections here (less than 300).

Just last week I entered Another 83's Memory: Film Collections of Mobile Suit Gundam 0083 Part 2 [PLL-3]

The number being added weekly is staggering. I still believe that we will hit 60,000 releases someday.

PostPosted: 04 Mar 2013, 10:16 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

cessnaace wrote:
Manufactured in Japan. By who? Mint-O-Matic doesn't know.
MINT MARKS:
3.110069-A02-P 0347E405
DD-5A-B39-P 7732E305

This is a typical Pioneer Japan mint marking / release

PostPosted: 04 Mar 2013, 12:57 
Site Admin
Site Admin

There's a least another iteration of a UK/NTSC disc:

Schumann and Switzerland [3.110035]

Julien

PostPosted: 04 Mar 2013, 17:06 
True fan
True fan

admin wrote:
There's a least another iteration of a UK/NTSC disc:

Schumann and Switzerland [3.110035]

Julien

Julien,

Thanks for processing my submission. I appreciate it!

Mark

PostPosted: 05 Mar 2013, 22:01 
Serious fan
Serious fan

cessnaace wrote:
signofzeta wrote:

The number being added weekly is staggering. I still believe that we will hit 60,000 releases someday.

Hi Mark,

I fully agree with what you said here. I have little doubt that we will eventually surpass the 60,000 release mark, perhaps sooner than any of us think! I believe that it is quite likely we may never know the total number of releases that were done on this grand old format. However, at least for me, that is part of the fun of collecting these! It is always a joy to find another title that no one knew existed previously! Keep the faith, my brother!

David :D

PostPosted: 06 Mar 2013, 01:39 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I have 1 Naxos laserdisc Sibelius which has a english insert in it as well detailing 16 other Naxos laserdiscs.

How do you know which ones are UK editions? Does yours say UK on the jacket?

There is probably quite a few unknown Laserdiscs. I just added 3 that were not yet in the database
Cole-6023
Cole-6024
Cole-6028

PostPosted: 06 Mar 2013, 03:46 
True fan
True fan

laserking wrote:
cessnaace wrote:
signofzeta wrote:

Hi Mark,

I fully agree with what you said here. I have little doubt that we will eventually surpass the 60,000 release mark, perhaps sooner than any of us think! I believe that it is quite likely we may never know the total number of releases that were done on this grand old format. However, at least for me, that is part of the fun of collecting these! It is always a joy to find another title that no one knew existed previously! Keep the faith, my brother!

David :D

David,

I remember when the format died the media said that there were at most 25,000 releases! I don't thing that's even close to the number of U.S. releases only.

Mark

PostPosted: 06 Mar 2013, 03:50 
True fan
True fan

vinylcollector wrote:
I have 1 Naxos laserdisc Sibelius which has a english insert in it as well detailing 16 other Naxos laserdiscs.

How do you know which ones are UK editions? Does yours say UK on the jacket?

There is probably quite a few unknown Laserdiscs. I just added 3 that were not yet in the database
Cole-6023
Cole-6024
Cole-6028

Two clues. The G in the triangle. That's part of the U.K. rating system. The second was the spelling of COLOR as 'COLOUR.' That's the U.K. spelling of the word.

Mark

PostPosted: 06 Mar 2013, 06:05 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Interesting mine is also spelled UK Colour too, but no triangle with G on mine.

Attachments:
Naxos.jpg
Naxos.jpg [ 35.33 KiB | Viewed 4411 times ]

PostPosted: 06 Mar 2013, 06:41 
True fan
True fan

vinylcollector wrote:
Interesting mine is also spelled UK Colour too, but no triangle with G on mine.

Maybe it wasn't submitted to be rated.

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2015, 19:37 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

Old post that I came across while searching for something else, hope it's not out-of-order to resurrect it. It intrigued me that an NTSC title could be released here in the UK which most users couldn't play - on looking into it I don't think it's a British title after all. 'G' has never been a UK BBFC rating; 'U' for 'Universal' has been in continuous use since 1912, and while other historic ratings 'A' for 'Adult' which was replaced by 'PG' in 1982, 'AA' being replaced by '15' and 'X' being replaced by '18' at the same time, 'U' has stood unchanged. Music titles without strong language or nudity are exempt from BBFC Certification anyway, and can optionally state 'E' for exempt, usually in a square or rectangular box that doesn't imply the title has been examined by the BBFC.

Other possibilities were Australia who use PAL, a 'G' in a triangle rating and the 'Colour' spelling. Canada use the 'Colour' spelling and the NTSC system, and a 'G' but not a triangle. My guess though is that this like the other Naxos branded releases was for an Asian territory or territories. Maybe Hong Kong or Singapore where broadcast TV was PAL but LDs NTSC, or Taiwan, Malaysia that were straight NTSC. A current search of eBay finds a few discs in this series being sold from Hong Kong and claimed as 'Japanese', a couple have a 'J' appended to the catalogue number (for 'Japan'?) one with a Japanese OBI. The meaning of 'G' remains elusive, I don't think it's a Hong Kong rating, although as a British Dependent Territory at the time they'd probably have used the 'Colour' spelling too, might be Singapore who currently use a 'G' but not in a triangle. But not UK...

http://www.lddb.com/search.php?adv_search=*&adv_reference=&studio=290
The database has 16 Naxos Classics titles listed, all but the Bach attributed to Japan. Although it would be a fun piece of trivia, I think the UK attribution is incorrect.

Naxos have a legacy page (with some text in Chinese) listing 39 titles in this series, so there may be more of them out there!
http://www.naxos.com/NewDesign/Display3.asp?path=../Cna_ld.htm

Last edited by tadao on 02 Mar 2015, 19:47, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 02 Mar 2015, 03:05 
Serious fan
Serious fan

I,ve got a laser karaoke 70's, 8" written all in dutch on the cover, but it is by pioneer and made in the usa.
It says you can't play it on a pal player :roll:

PostPosted: 02 Mar 2015, 19:45 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

Did they write it in English or Dutch? LaserJuke music video discs are also NTSC, the players even in Europe only play that standard, I can't recall if there's a disclaimer on the label, I don't think so. Didn't know that LaserKaraoke were NTSC but it makes sense. Neither of those were for purchase by consumers though, and even though there was a substantial grey market for NTSC imports of feature films and anime, I can't see any UK or continental LD distributor marketing a release in NTSC for the Euro market.

Classical DVDs however are nearly always at NTSC framerate, unfortunately even when filmed at PAL speed, an instance where original PAL LD releases of the same material might be preferable to the DVD. PAL DVD players are mandated to handle NTSC by the specs. There were some early Australian DVD releases in NTSC (when they weren't sku-sharing with a European territory) and sadly they'd be pilloried in reviews for being an in 'inferior' standard. Personally, I would have preferred more releases like this to avoid PAL speedup or video standards conversion, as for anything other than PAL speed source material the NTSC rate DVD generally looks and/or sounds superior... Nice that we largely avoid this on Blu-ray...

PostPosted: 02 Mar 2015, 23:48 
Serious fan
Serious fan

tadao wrote:
Did they write it in English or Dutch? LaserJuke music video discs are also NTSC, the players even in Europe only play that standard, I can't recall if there's a disclaimer on the label, I don't think so. Didn't know that LaserKaraoke were NTSC but it makes sense. Neither of those were for purchase by consumers though, and even though there was a substantial grey market for NTSC imports of feature films and anime, I can't see any UK or continental LD distributor marketing a release in NTSC for the Euro market. ...

Attachments:
File comment: Karaoke NTSC Nederlands
DSCF1269_3.jpg
DSCF1269_3.jpg [ 134.73 KiB | Viewed 4271 times ]

PostPosted: 03 Mar 2015, 00:02 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

tadao wrote:
Did they write it in English or Dutch? LaserJuke music video discs are also NTSC, the players even in Europe only play that standard, I can't recall if there's a disclaimer on the label, I don't think so. Didn't know that LaserKaraoke were NTSC but it makes sense. Neither of those were for purchase by consumers though, and even though there was a substantial grey market for NTSC imports of feature films and anime, I can't see any UK or continental LD distributor marketing a release in NTSC for the Euro market.

LaserJuke, were not for sale for us Consumers, they were for sale (however crazy expensive) for owners of a LaserJuke JukeBox (=official videoclip nothing to do with Karaoke, NTSC, analog sound only), however most opted to rent the discs (had to be returned to Pioneer afterwards who destroyed them)

LaserKaraoke Discs, were for sale for Consumers, they were made in NTSC because of the Multiplex feature (Digital = no vocals stereo; Analog Left = no vocals; Analog Right = with vocals) as PAL had only 2 soundtracks. BTW a number of 12" LaserKaraoke discs were made in PAL, but there only have a digital stereo no vocals track.

The above shown 8" LaserKaraoke discs were widly available in Europe in Dutch, German, French, Spanish and Italian, however most of them are still not yet in LDDB. All of these releases (~25 different onces by language; 60's; 70's; 80's; 90's) were made by Pioneer US in NTSC format.
The price was ~30 euro's for a 8" disc with only 4 songs ...

Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next