It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 15:59

Page 2 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Were 8" LDs more expensive to produce?
PostPosted: 21 Oct 2015, 21:55 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

CAA is just CLV quantized in steps. It's basically the same, which is why you never see "CAA" on an actual LD.

With all due respect, don't try to out trivia Publius on matters like LD (or space travel, nuclear energy, and a few other things). He will bury you completely. :)

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2015, 21:58 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

laserdisc_fan wrote:
I've over 600 8" LDs in my own collection - almost all of them are music and the vast majority are laserjuke promo titles never commercially available to the public.

I know a guy with a list of those same discs that extends well beyond a 1000 titles so 8" LDs could represent about 2% of all LDs produced (1000 /50000 x 100) and yes they are definitely the last laserdiscs ever produced by some considerable measure.

I guess it depends if we are talking about the percentage of LDs physically pressed (many millions, of which very very few were 8") or the number of titles that exist (maybe 50,000-60,000 with many hundreds of 8").

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 22 Oct 2015, 16:25 
True fan
True fan

publius wrote:
daro2096 wrote:
CLV is where the disc starts at 1800/1500 rpm and slows down gradulary to 600rpm where as CAA works similar to how your DVD/Blu-Ray burner works at burning disc in higher speeds, a 16x speed disc doesn't burn at 16x speed all through the disc but only at the outer edges(or it is the inner edge?).

You are confusing different things.
A high-speed "burner" runs at approximately constant angular velocity (CAV), so that it increases its "writing speed" as it moves outward, reaching the highest multiplier at the outer radius. It can do this precisely because the CD/DVD/BD is a CLV product, that is, (approximately) constant track length per unit of information recorded.

I said similar not exactly.

PostPosted: 24 Oct 2015, 22:39 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Back to the original question which was Were 8" LDs more expensive to produce? then I would think physically that they would not be more expensive, probably a bit less (but what do I know???).

I may be wrong (& probably am but someone I am sure can correct if that is the case) but was the actual manufacturing process to make the 8" LDs not quite a bit simpler than the 12" LDs, no "glue" required for the 8"discs, less materials needed so from the basic manufacturing processes used would an 8" LD not be less costly - this is not taking into account quantity order discounts or the like, just actual materials & pressing costs.

PostPosted: 24 Oct 2015, 23:42 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

je280 wrote:
Back to the original question which was Were 8" LDs more expensive to produce? then I would think physically that they would not be more expensive, probably a bit less (but what do I know???).

I may be wrong (& probably am but someone I am sure can correct if that is the case) but was the actual manufacturing process to make the 8" LDs not quite a bit simpler than the 12" LDs, no "glue" required for the 8"discs, less materials needed so from the basic manufacturing processes used would an 8" LD not be less costly - this is not taking into account quantity order discounts or the like, just actual materials & pressing costs.

The majority of 8" LDs are actually similiar in construction to a conventional 12" laserdisc in that they usually comprise two acrylic discs stuck together or 1 disc stuck to a dead side. That's why some of them also suffer from laser rot because they use the same basic construction which was sometimes flawed.

A smaller quantity of 8" LDs are made like CDs from polycarbonate material with only one play side and no glue.
Those are never rotted (to my knowledge).

Certainly the smaller form factor than a 12" LD means less raw material was needed to produce them whether they are made from acrylic or polycarbonate so I suspect they were far cheaper to produce. The format simply wasn't suitable for anything other than short clips or music videos so would not have been used as extensively for laserdisc releases.

PostPosted: 26 Oct 2015, 01:22 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

The biggest difference in production cost was probably owing to the reduced time required for mastering, at least as regards double-sided discs. The single-sided discs had their own economies. But then, I have never understood why essentially all LDs are mastered all the way to the outer circumference, even when the video ends much short of it. Time on the mastering machines was expensive!

PostPosted: 26 Oct 2015, 09:54 
True fan
True fan

publius wrote:
The biggest difference in production cost was probably owing to the reduced time required for mastering, at least as regards double-sided discs. The single-sided discs had their own economies. But then, I have never understood why essentially all LDs are mastered all the way to the outer circumference, even when the video ends much short of it. Time on the mastering machines was expensive!

Because if the video on one side was 45 minutes they would use CAA50 which would fill up the whole disc surface.

PostPosted: 26 Oct 2015, 18:52 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

daro2096 wrote:
Because if the video on one side was 45 minutes they would use CAA50 which would fill up the whole disc surface.

You'd think that, but it's fairly straightforward to inspect the disc visually & find the end of playback. The wasted area is very usually much larger than one would see if the "faster" CAA modes had been used.

PostPosted: 26 Oct 2015, 19:15 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

The LD Singles were only produced by Nippon, Kuraray and Pioneer Japan. I have no reason to believe any 8 inch disc would cost more than a 12" variant, except perhaps when taken into account the price breaks due to pressing quantity.

Let's take a look at "Whitney Houston: The #1 Video Hits". It has the rare distinction as being pressed as a CAV 12" disc, a 2-sided 8" disc (in CLV) and an LD Single (1 sided 8" disc) - twice.

12" CAV = 4800 Yen
8" CLV = 3000 Yen
8" LD Single = 2500 Yen (both times)

I'm really clearing out the cob-webs here, but I seem to recall LDs were $10 per side CLV and $8 CAV when pressed in quantity (for movie distribution). MCA/Universal always would try to make a short-side CAV title when possible. Filmmakers had approval on side breaks, so some films (like Waterworld) didn't get a CAV side.

Pioneer took a bath on "The Frighteners" Signature Collection. The price had already been set and orders taken before the final product had been produced. So when it came in at 8 sides (!), the actual replication costs alone were $80. That's why it was such a steal at $49.98. Pioneer had told me that demand for a second pressing was non existent because they were going to have to raise the price to at least $99.98.

PostPosted: 29 Oct 2015, 18:43 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

One disc which seems as though it could have been issued in 20 cm format is the seven-minute Clamp in Wonderland, but in this case, it's obvious why not : the disc was pretty much an excuse to issue ten "LD-size" art prints, which would have been much less impressive with less than half the printable area.

PostPosted: 20 Feb 2018, 04:13 
Site Admin
Site Admin

A bit of trivia then: lists of 12" LDs with less than 10mn contents

https://www.lddb.com/search.php?adv_search=*&adv_reference=&length=10&length_op=less&size=1&format=ld

And check this recent post for 2000's 12" LD manufacturing price lists!

FOUND THE SITE Old Maker list
Attachment:
makers.png
makers.png [ 18.93 KiB | Viewed 2081 times ]

Julien

Page 2 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2