It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 17:14

Page 1 of 1 [ 19 posts ] 
 Post subject: LaserDisc titles with noteworthy audio/music quality
PostPosted: 12 Sep 2016, 00:59 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

Hey all. LD is well-known for having the capability for high-quality audio, usually competitive with DVD and even Blu-Ray. I'm curious about what titles are generally regarded as being examples of high-quality audio, especially in the music department.

For example, the DTS version of Jurassic Park (1993) [43115] is frequently cited as being the paragon of what LD can do in the audio department. On a more-obscure note, the widescreen collector's edition of Pink Floyd: The Wall: Widescreen Collector's Edition (1982) [ML106344] apparently has a noteworthy AC-3 track (compared to other movie versions, that is), and the 1983 collection of music videos from Duran Duran: Duran Duran (1983) [PA-83-044] is also apparently regarded has having an audio quality that rivals or exceeds even CD sources.

What other LDs are out there with audio tracks that are regarded as worthy of note?

Post subject: Re: LaserDisc titles with noteworthy audio/music quality
PostPosted: 12 Sep 2016, 01:39 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

True Lies.

PostPosted: 12 Sep 2016, 16:52 
True fan
True fan

I always liked to use two different discs to show people way back when what LD could do:

The opening scene to Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom.

"On the Future of Aviation" by Jerry Goodman (from the LD music sampler "Private Music".

(This is not a terribly good copy of it.)

PostPosted: 12 Sep 2016, 22:54 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I really love the sound quality on the Image Entertainment / Orion release of The Bounty ( 1981 version ). It is extremely well mastered in my opinion and sounds considerably better than
the French or US Blu Ray. Since I am a huge fan of this fantastic movie with its phenomenal acting ( Hopkins is excellent in this movie, but so is Mel Gibson, too ), one of the best soundtracks
ever ( I even find it better than the Blade Runner soundtrack and that says a lot ) and great camera work.
Vangelis' music sounds excellent on this disc. I wish someone could just mix the audio from the LD with the video from the Blu Ray. That would be perfect ! I really do not like that 5.1 audio mix
from the Blu Ray releases however the video transfer is excellent and a real upgrad compared to the LD release.

I also like my Madonna's Like A Virgin ( 8 inch ) disc from Japan. It is really well mastered, too.

Usually, many LDs would sound really nice and much much better than their later rereleases on DVD with Dolby Digital 2.0 192 kbit/s sound. Forrest Gump ( German PAL disc ) has a fantastic audio
track, too. There are many good-sounding LDs out there.

PostPosted: 17 Sep 2018, 19:20 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Giving this thread a bump on the flip side... I recently bought a pile of 20 analog only - 8" music LD's & all by looks I would grade all 6 or better, but an occasional pin hole rot on some. Since I have nothing to compare as I never had any analog 8" back in the day, what should I expect of the audio quality? Not sure why I should expect anything worse than regular 12", but I would have expected them to sound much better than what I am experiencing. My one and only 8" digital disk sounds much better. By chance are any of the old analog discs that should be on the noteworthy list? (or is this a known issue?)
Thanks!

PostPosted: 17 Sep 2018, 22:32 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I’m not sure if I’ve ever seen an analog 8”. Are they PAL or something? IIRC 8” and digital audio hit the market at the same time. I’ve never seen a USDM player that could play 8” but not Digital Sound.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 18 Sep 2018, 04:24 
Site Admin
Site Admin

forper wrote:
True Lies.

DTS I suppose?

My go-to demo for newcomer to LD was usually Eagles: Hell Freezes Over - DTS (1994) [ID4065GF] - Hotel California. Since the song is so well-known, the added live 5.1 mix always caught people by surprise!

Julien

PostPosted: 18 Sep 2018, 05:44 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

signofzeta wrote:
I’m not sure if I’ve ever seen an analog 8”. Are they PAL or something? IIRC 8” and digital audio hit the market at the same time. I’ve never seen a USDM player that could play 8” but not Digital Sound.

It’s actually very common.

Many 8” music LD’s during the early to mid 80’s (I think) had only analog encoding. I actually own quite a few and they sound fine. Many of them did, however, get digital re-issues later on.

PostPosted: 18 Sep 2018, 08:43 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

admin wrote:
forper wrote:
True Lies.

DTS I suppose?

I don't know, I just play it in stereo on my setup.

PostPosted: 18 Sep 2018, 12:25 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

forper wrote:
admin wrote:
forper wrote:
True Lies.

DTS I suppose?

I don't know, I just play it in stereo on my setup.

:clap: :clap: :thumbup: :thumbup:

PostPosted: 18 Sep 2018, 15:16 
Honest fan
Honest fan

ldfan wrote:
signofzeta wrote:

It’s actually very common.

Many 8” music LD’s during the early to mid 80’s (I think) had only analog encoding. I actually own quite a few and they sound fine. Many of them did, however, get digital re-issues later on.

Here's an analog only from my collection. (One of the few that has both Front & Back cover picture):
Thomas Dolby (1984) [PA-84-M011]

Thanks ldfan. When you say they sound fine, how would you say they compare to the same songs on vinyl? (...because mine are not close! :cry: )

PostPosted: 18 Sep 2018, 15:39 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

It all depends on the original source like any other format of movies or music.

PostPosted: 18 Sep 2018, 18:09 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

remav wrote:

Thanks ldfan. When you say they sound fine, how would you say they compare to the same songs on vinyl? (...because mine are not close! :cry: )

I really couldn’t say since I don’t spin vinyl at all (still considering getting into it as I did re-acquire my brother’s vintage JVC unit). However, people have noted that analog audio on LD is about the equivalent of VHS/Beta HiFi which I do concur appears close (I might give the latter the edge since HiFi doesn’t require any sort of noise reduction like CX used on LD analog audio).

In any case, I have a lot of analog only LD’s and I do recall some anime titles like Cyber City Oedo and Laputa (original Japanese releases) sounding fantastic (especially with Dolby Pro-Logic engaged).

But rein-o does have a point; source material can easily play a part on why LD analog audio may or may not sound great.

PostPosted: 19 Sep 2018, 15:45 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

For analog LD audio, Disclord pointed out a batch of early 80's titles with very good sound quality, including the eponymous Duran Duran video disk and Queen's Greatest Flix. They used a very good master tape.

PostPosted: 19 Sep 2018, 21:45 
Honest fan
Honest fan

While I'm mainly just happy to be able to see some of these old videos, I'm pretty sure the original quality just isn't there. (still interested rein-o? :shifty: )
Disappointing as they really are in good shape just looking at them. Thanks everyone.

PostPosted: 19 Sep 2018, 22:06 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

remav wrote:
While I'm mainly just happy to be able to see some of these old videos, I'm pretty sure the original quality just isn't there. (still interested rein-o? :shifty: )
Disappointing as they really are in good shape just looking at them. Thanks everyone.

I guess you haven't seen them back in the day on MTV, the PQ was pretty s****y even then.

Don't forget, these were shot sometimes with at the time top of the line stuff but that would have been video tape camcorders which
were not the best even then.

Can you imagine a VHS camcorder recording a music video back in the day :crazy: Well they did it.

PostPosted: 19 Sep 2018, 22:26 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

I've got 12 or 13 8" music discs. All the original pressings with analog audio only. Most are pretty good quality, some haven't aged as well.

I remember the THX release of Terminator having absolutely killer audio. I was shocked after the movie when I saw it was mono. Terminator 2 is great as well.
Pioneer 151FD

PostPosted: 19 Sep 2018, 23:03 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Now that I think about it I have a pro deck with a tray that takes 8” but not CD. That must have been the window.

And yeah, many music videos were terrible quality. Usually shot in the dark too. On a 13” b/w TV over VHF you wouldn’t notice. :)

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 23 Sep 2018, 15:10 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I am now really interested in those early Queen Greatest Flix and Duran Duran laserdiscs ! I have a Japanese hentai LD from 1984 with analogue audio only and the title song sounds phenomenal !

I am however unable to find said Queen Greatest Flix LD from 1983 or 1984 on lddb, only later releases. Can somebody help ?

Is it in some way possible to have a link to all the separate comments made by the late disclord to all of the lddb entries that he personally added some information to ? That would be so cool ! I have found so much interesting information on those pages !!!

Page 1 of 1 [ 19 posts ]