It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 00:01

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 
 Post subject: Japanese PILF 28** / Late USA Discs - Still Valuable?
PostPosted: 02 Jan 2017, 21:07 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

Hello All,

It has been quite some time since I have been active in the LD community - I used to buy and sell a lot on eBay, was almost OCD with building my collection and I hung on to and looked after it religiously for many years - but sad the realisation is that I now must part with my treasured discs as I just don't have the space nor time to enjoy them any more.

My question relates to the discs that I spent what seemed like forever trying to locate back in the day - the last of the Japanese discs that were never available in other countries - titles like X Men, Sixth Sense, The Beach etc. I still have a lot of these, along with some of the rarer US titles like American Pie, Bone Collector etc. and do recall that they still used to fetch a good amount around 5+ years ago - can anyone tell me what the values are like nowadays please, or where I could go to get a good idea? I am not sure if I should try my luck selling them here or on eBay but before I do, I just want to make sure that the prices I will be asking are realistic.

So.... the $64000 dollar question - are the selling histories on lddb.com accurate enough to base my asking prices on, or should I look for completed listings on eBay? Or are the rarer discs no longer holding their value like they used to?

Many thanks for your advice.... :thumbup:

LJ

Post subject: Re: Japanese PILF 28** / Late USA Discs - Still Valuable?
PostPosted: 02 Jan 2017, 23:40 
Serious fan
Serious fan

YES, they are worth more than Titanic and Jurassic Park and Forrest Gump together .

You can open a shop at LDDB and list it a bit pricy and see for best offers.

I would prefer that to ebay auctions, even if I get a bit more for them at a bidwar.

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2017, 00:00 
True fan
True fan

lunarjetman wrote:
Hello All,

It has been quite some time since I have been active in the LD community - I used to buy and sell a lot on eBay, was almost OCD with building my collection and I hung on to and looked after it religiously for many years - but sad the realisation is that I now must part with my treasured discs as I just don't have the space nor time to enjoy them any more.

My question relates to the discs that I spent what seemed like forever trying to locate back in the day - the last of the Japanese discs that were never available in other countries - titles like X Men, Sixth Sense, The Beach etc. I still have a lot of these, along with some of the rarer US titles like American Pie, Bone Collector etc. and do recall that they still used to fetch a good amount around 5+ years ago - can anyone tell me what the values are like nowadays please, or where I could go to get a good idea? I am not sure if I should try my luck selling them here or on eBay but before I do, I just want to make sure that the prices I will be asking are realistic.

So.... the $64000 dollar question - are the selling histories on lddb.com accurate enough to base my asking prices on, or should I look for completed listings on eBay? Or are the rarer discs no longer holding their value like they used to?

Many thanks for your advice.... :thumbup:

LJ
Hi can you send me a realitic price for The Sixth Sense? Thanks.

PostPosted: 09 May 2017, 21:35 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

Hello Again,

Thanks for the responses and also for the Private Messages; apologies for not responding to those - I had a busy New Year with overseas work and didn't get round to replying to everyone - sorry about that.

With a heavy heart, I have decided to sell my remaining discs and have begun listing them on eBay; will also put some in my shop here on LDDB. Due to time commitments I am unable to make lists or confirm which titles I still have, so will be pulling half a dozen or so each week and listing them.

Thanks all for your advice. Great to see the Laserdisc still has such a friendly, knowledgeable and enthusiastic following :thumbup: I miss the buzz and thrill of collecting them :cry:

Best Wishes, Mark / LunarJetman1970

Last edited by lunarjetman on 10 May 2017, 08:09, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 09 May 2017, 23:05 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Did you start collecting before 2000?

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 10 May 2017, 08:16 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

Yep, just ;) Although I wasn't there at the beginning. I bought a job lot of 12" Vinyl LP's back in the mid-late 90's and there were spme old Pan & Scan LD's in there - I had nothing to play them on, but was intrigued, and hung on to them until I could pick up an LD player at a reasonable cost. I began collecting discs like a maniac once DVD came on the scene and people were keen to offload Laserdisc collections :) And soon after that I just went out of control with my buying LOL. I'm probably still paying interest on some 1990's credit card as a result now hehe

Best Wishes, Mark / LunarJetman1970

PostPosted: 10 May 2017, 16:53 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I'm just trying to establish some kind of ratio as to when a person started collecting and whether or not they are obsessed with "late releases". It seems like almost nobody who was buying LD when LD was the thing to buy cares about these discs, with the values being accelerated entirely by...what are effectively noobs.

I'm an old-time collector and since I don't have a web store to me any LD with worthless content (for example, The Sixth Day) is a worthless LD. Maybe I'll start a poll thread about this because I find it fascinating.

What is it about late releases that captivates people, and why is it almost always late collectors?

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 10 May 2017, 20:33 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Very interesting point.
Its almost like the point I make with ebay buyers and their messages.

99 out of 100 buyers who ask questions never bid or make any offers.
Its been like this for me since 2002 :wtf:

PostPosted: 11 May 2017, 09:00 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

rein-o wrote:
Very interesting point.
Its almost like the point I make with ebay buyers and their messages.

99 out of 100 buyers who ask questions never bid or make any offers.
Its been like this for me since 2002 :wtf:

Seriously? I can only speak for myself but if I ask a seller a question, there's a high chance (some 70%) that
I'm going to bid/buy (also depending on the seller's reply, of course).

PostPosted: 11 May 2017, 14:48 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Yes seriously.

PostPosted: 29 May 2017, 19:59 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

I'm not responding to eBay messages unless it's "how much for combined shipping?"

But then again I don't other selling LDs there. Here only!

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ]