It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 17:12

Page 3 of 3 [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject: Re: Late release LD prices still fetching good money it seem
PostPosted: 29 Jun 2017, 05:29 
True fan
True fan

Got a copy of Deep Blue Sea for 100.00 not too long ago. Shouldn't be that much but couldn't find it for less. Nicely mastered. BTW, a few years ago I ordered it from eBay and the disc arrived cracked. :cry:

PostPosted: 29 Jun 2017, 09:58 
True fan
True fan

remington wrote:
Got a copy of Deep Blue Sea for 100.00 not too long ago. Shouldn't be that much but couldn't find it for less. Nicely mastered. BTW, a few years ago I ordered it from eBay and the disc arrived cracked. :cry:

A late release cracked, that is beyond awful.

PostPosted: 31 Jul 2017, 03:38 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Holy Moly!

Cell, The (2000) (Uncut) [PILF-2868]
https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/g225840544

JPY 300,999 = US$ 2,725

Julien

PostPosted: 31 Jul 2017, 03:42 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Cha Ching ....... $ $ $ $ :clap:

Dead Format ? That would be negative !

Few people out there are doing the happy dance this weekend ........

PostPosted: 31 Jul 2017, 10:37 
True fan
True fan

admin wrote:

I expected such a price

PostPosted: 31 Jul 2017, 14:06 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

It would appear to be the same buyer who picked up 'The Limey' not so long ago.

PostPosted: 31 Jul 2017, 14:35 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

When you believe something is valuable you'll stop at nothing to find a way to pay a lot for it.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 31 Jul 2017, 15:14 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

signofzeta wrote:
When you believe something is valuable you'll stop at nothing to find a way to pay a lot for it.

True. It was a free auction so it took more than one to push it that high. Having read something of the rarity of this title and seeing what The Limey sold for recently wasn't so surprised by this.

If you really want something and have the money to burn then why not? It might be quite silly in some ways; but I see some quite hateful comments about these sales on some forums. Various things that are rare relative to demand sell for silly prices fairly often. While some LD collectors may have no interest in the particular title to start with; I suspect many of these negative comments come more from a place of envy that they'd like to have it but they had no chance at that price. Also let's face it, in this range they become 'trophy items' whether there's actually interest in the title itself or not; and bigger brighter trophy's always tend to illicit greater jealousy and envy from others, which in turn is of course the whole point in some cases for the one with the trophy.

Having said that the new owner of this title may not care at all for the judgement or adoration or otherwise of people on various LD fan-sites and quite happily enjoy it at home with only the company of a handful of close friends.

PostPosted: 01 Aug 2017, 01:28 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

If you believe "envy" explains away criticism of this kind of stupidity then I'd expect you'd be able to explain away anything with it.

PostPosted: 01 Aug 2017, 05:33 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

haha, I wasn't using it to explain criticism per se, but I do think it's a contributing factor in some of the more spiteful sounding sort of comments I've seen.

If someone thinks it's stupid to pay big money for anything just because it's rare fair enough!

PostPosted: 01 Aug 2017, 11:55 
And i thought $1000 for the Daicon 3 + 4 opening animations was incredulous. DAMN!

PostPosted: 01 Aug 2017, 22:17 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

ruggedalbatross wrote:
And i thought $1000 for the Daicon 3 + 4 opening animations was incredulous. DAMN!

The Daicon LD/VHS has been trading for high prices for 30 years due to its rather high original price, small distribution, and permanent out of print-ness. It's full of the traditional qualities that, before eBay, would tend to make something valuable forever. It's not something with a %46 on Rotten Tomatoes that you can buy on BR at Walmart for $4, in other words.

In my life I've noticed in many cases people talking about how traditions and knowing your roots and everything is really important. I've never cared much for such things, I make my own traditions, but I have to say that I'm starting to see the value of them in the culture at large. The US is a very young country and almost nothing in it is more than a few centuries old because we burned all the natives. There are pubs in England 3-4 times as old as our country. Faith in capitalism, family, religion, and nation are basically gone and sadly "self worth" did not rush in to fill the vacuum...I think, despite all the obvious side affects of that, it's important to say that people are kind of lost without them. Not everyone, obviously, but a lot of people are sorta going nuts. Some people, are think, as so dumb they need church, or The Boy Scouts of America or something. If they don't they start worshiping Chevy trucks and mixed martial arts, vaping their own p**s while voting Trump and blowing thousands on The Cell to add to their collection of LDs that only goes back to 1997.

Of course, I wouldn't be the slightest bit surprised if the loser/winner of this dumb disc wasn't American at all, but I see this trend and this kind of dispair only in the parts of the world where I actually am. It could also be an Italian trust fund kid hiding his money from the government. It doesn't matter. The notion that these "late" LDs would be incredibly valuable...the notion...the belief...almost religious even, that they are inherently priceless regardless of the quality of the item itself...it's the kind of thing you come up with when you don't spend any time thinking about anything but eBay. It's Internet group think.

JUST KIDDING! Really I just want to complete my Jennifer Lopez collection and I'm poor so I'm lashing out at life's winners. Please forgive me!

PostPosted: 02 Aug 2017, 00:00 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Have you any idea just how rare a good copy of this is?

http://www.lddb.com/laserdisc/07965/81756/Anaconda

Just have to get my hands on one; it'll make me rich one day; you've got stiff competition there!! ;)

PostPosted: 02 Aug 2017, 02:56 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I have no idea how rare it is but I know how much I care how rare it is, which is not at all, because it's a POS movie.

PostPosted: 02 Aug 2017, 08:16 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Yeah that was pretty much my point!

PostPosted: 03 Aug 2017, 20:15 
signofzeta wrote:
ruggedalbatross wrote:

The Daicon LD/VHS has been trading for high prices for 30 years due to its rather high original price, small distribution, and permanent out of print-ness. It's full of the traditional qualities that, before eBay, would tend to make something valuable forever. It's not something with a %46 on Rotten Tomatoes that you can buy on BR at Walmart for $4, in other words.

In my life I've noticed in many cases people talking about how traditions and knowing your roots and everything is really important. I've never cared much for such things, I make my own traditions, but I have to say that I'm starting to see the value of them in the culture at large. The US is a very young country and almost nothing in it is more than a few centuries old because we burned all the natives. There are pubs in England 3-4 times as old as our country. Faith in capitalism, family, religion, and nation are basically gone and sadly "self worth" did not rush in to fill the vacuum...I think, despite all the obvious side affects of that, it's important to say that people are kind of lost without them. Not everyone, obviously, but a lot of people are sorta going nuts. Some people, are think, as so dumb they need church, or The Boy Scouts of America or something. If they don't they start worshiping Chevy trucks and mixed martial arts, vaping their own p**s while voting Trump and blowing thousands on The Cell to add to their collection of LDs that only goes back to 1997.

Of course, I wouldn't be the slightest bit surprised if the loser/winner of this dumb disc wasn't American at all, but I see this trend and this kind of dispair only in the parts of the world where I actually am. It could also be an Italian trust fund kid hiding his money from the government. It doesn't matter. The notion that these "late" LDs would be incredibly valuable...the notion...the belief...almost religious even, that they are inherently priceless regardless of the quality of the item itself...it's the kind of thing you come up with when you don't spend any time thinking about anything but eBay. It's Internet group think.

JUST KIDDING! Really I just want to complete my Jennifer Lopez collection and I'm poor so I'm lashing out at life's winners. Please forgive me!

I know what you mean Zeta, but i was just commenting that, up until getting the Daicon disc, i thought a couple hundred for something like the star wars definitive collection was ridiculous, and throwing down 1K just felt like lunacy, but some of these figures you guys are pulling up are... madness!

PostPosted: 04 Aug 2017, 11:15 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

ruggedalbatross wrote:
signofzeta wrote:
ruggedalbatross wrote:

I know what you mean Zeta, but i was just commenting that, up until getting the Daicon disc, i thought a couple hundred for something like the star wars definitive collection was ridiculous, and throwing down 1K just felt like lunacy, but some of these figures you guys are pulling up are... madness!

The cell is a interesting movie, but not so good. I would been interesting in having it, but my limit was a zero away.

In the record world we call these kind of titles halfer title. meaning its super rare, but only a few canr or want to pay a fortune. Meaning that after the first one bought it, the next one will only be worth around half since the highest bidder will stay out. Then prob half of that the 3rd time. then it will stable itself in the section where smaller collectors think its a bargain, for come on, it used to go for 3000usd, so 600usd is a bargain. :roll:

Anyway, I bet the seller need the money more then the buyer, so its a win win.

PostPosted: 04 Aug 2017, 15:11 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Yes, there was a robot that came out about 25 or so years ago, there were only 5 and it sold in auction for 35k
Then they started finding them, now there are 6 and 7 and I really don't know how many now.
but the last one I saw sell was around 15k
Big drop, still large money but a large drop in price.

PostPosted: 04 Aug 2017, 20:14 
True fan
True fan

Speaking of late releases my Profile picture can again put it's money where it's mouth it since won Pokemon movie for the second time. 8-)

PostPosted: 07 Nov 2017, 04:26 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Congratulations to the happy lurker who snatched this after 9 minutes!

Double Jeopardy (1999) [PILF-2853]
https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/u168350590

Julien

Page 3 of 3 [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3