It is currently 18 Apr 2024, 14:28

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 
 Post subject: Plasma perfection!
PostPosted: 25 Jun 2017, 02:01 
True fan
True fan

Picked up an 06 Panasonic Viera Plasma for next to nothing. It had no remote but then I realized I had a old Panasonic Tau CRT remote. I had to see my LDs on it and with a few days of trial and error with the tv settings, I got the most incredible LD picture quality I've ever seen. It really is amazing. Even older or poorly mastered discs look great

Over the years I've had every kind of tv out there (except plasma) and thought I knew the limitations of a laserdisc image.. I'm telling you when you see a good LD in all its glory, it's absolutely stunning.

Let me know if you've had a similar "awakening" story.

Post subject: Re: Plasma perfection!
PostPosted: 25 Jun 2017, 04:47 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I bought a 14" 800 line broadcast monitor, stuck it in the entertainment center below my HDTV. I was using it for old video game systems and then decided to hook an LD player up to it. BAM! the combination of a pro monitor and small screen size made LD come to life. I'm done chasing big screen perfection in LD, Blu-ray is hard to beat in that realm.

Now if I want to watch an LD, I get out the kid's chair (to sit lower to the screen), a pair of headphones and stop fretting over picture quality.

PostPosted: 25 Jun 2017, 13:05 
Honest fan
Honest fan

My 40" Panasonic plasma was tough on my wallet, not so much the tv, but the 3000 LDs I bought afterwards. It's bad on my electric bill, especially when it's 90 degrees outside.

PostPosted: 25 Jun 2017, 17:35 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I've never been much for plasma. The dithering and RBE is so irritating that I cannot stand it, though nice to hear other people are happy with their sets. I'm using both LCDs and an OLED on a daily basis and are much more satisfied with those than any plasma I've ever seen.

Personally I prefer to have an all-in-one setup so for Laserdisc I use a video processor. However, I can certainly see the charm in using a CRT if LD is your main game.

gumbyandpals wrote:
I bought a 14" 800 line broadcast monitor, stuck it in the entertainment center below my HDTV.

14" and 800 lines... Is it a BVM-14F1(U)? I've got a BVM-20F1J and it's really awesome for retro games and DVDs (as well as HD-DVD and Blu-Ray though aliasing gets very obvious), but only problem is that I cannot get external cards to work with it. The monitor detects both my BKM-21D and 24N but no matter how I change the input settings, it won't display any image at all (regardless of using composite, YPbPr or RGB). A real shame but at least the dedicated card works so there's still plenty of fun to be had.

PostPosted: 25 Jun 2017, 21:32 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

nissling wrote:
14" and 800 lines... Is it a BVM-14F1(U)? I've got a BVM-20F1J and it's really awesome for retro games and DVDs (as well as HD-DVD and Blu-Ray though aliasing gets very obvious), but only problem is that I cannot get external cards to work with it. The monitor detects both my BKM-21D and 24N but no matter how I change the input settings, it won't display any image at all (regardless of using composite, YPbPr or RGB). A real shame but at least the dedicated card works so there's still plenty of fun to be had.

It's a BVM-14F5U. It's a very nice little monitor with digital controls for just about everything. I only wish it was 480p capable, but you can't have everything I guess. I've got the 21D and 24N as well.

PostPosted: 25 Jun 2017, 22:12 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

I had my 9th gen pioneer plasma since 2008. I held onto it for so long because all these years I didn't come across anything remotely close to it. I recently switched to OLED and I can't say I am %100 happy. Motion on Oled(and LCDs) is dreadful. Mosquito noise is much more apparent( just like on LCDs ). If there were a 4K plasma, I would take it. I don't care for the brightness. My Sony OLED has 730nits peak brightness (Although Sony Claims 1000nits) even that's too bright.

PostPosted: 26 Jun 2017, 05:32 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

gumbyandpals wrote:
It's a BVM-14F5U. It's a very nice little monitor with digital controls for just about everything. I only wish it was 480p capable, but you can't have everything I guess. I've got the 21D and 24N as well.

You could have an eye open for the BVM-D14F5U if you want 480p support. Or any other of the BVM-D models. Be careful about BVM-A though since these are very rarely equipped with the right input cards for standard definition sources and compatible cards are difficult to find.

Substance: Ever tried running 1080/120p on your OLED? For 24p, you could try using BFI to get clearer motions. And for mosquito noise, that's a sign of it being less forgiving for sub-par sources. Cannot say I see that being a con on OLED or LCD compared to plasma...

For brightness I've set my OLED to 127cd/m^2. That's fine by me.

PostPosted: 26 Jun 2017, 05:58 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

I've always heard great things about plasma and LD but I don't have one.
Nice to hear LD looks good on other monitors.
Now we just need to keep players running then we can watch for many years to come.

PostPosted: 26 Jun 2017, 15:43 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

I bought a 2010 Panasonic 50" plasma off of Craigslist last year for when my KD-36XS955 WEGA gives up the ghost.

Accepts a 1080p signal even though the resolution is 1366x768. Made sure it wasn't "Full HD" so that LDs wouldn't be too upscaled on it.

Haven't had a chance to test it with LD though. Looked good with the seller's cable HD when I bought it.

Specs say it has a 3D comb filter, but I might end up using this non working Toshiba D-VR600 DVD/VCR combo I have for the filtering. Though I'll still keep a composite line connected to the plasma in case I need to watch something with closed captions (as I have many anime LDs with Japanese soundtracks and CC for the subtitles.)

PostPosted: 27 Jun 2017, 00:04 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

nissling wrote:
gumbyandpals wrote:

You could have an eye open for the BVM-D14F5U if you want 480p support. Or any other of the BVM-D models. Be careful about BVM-A though since these are very rarely equipped with the right input cards for standard definition sources and compatible cards are difficult to find.

Substance: Ever tried running 1080/120p on your OLED? For 24p, you could try using BFI to get clearer motions. And for mosquito noise, that's a sign of it being less forgiving for sub-par sources. Cannot say I see that being a con on OLED or LCD compared to plasma...

For brightness I've set my OLED to 127cd/m^2. That's fine by me.

it does not matter. it simply doesn't react as quick as plasmas. I am running a $8000 Lumagen Radiance Pro prior to it and another $4500 Lumagen Radiance 2144 for the SD sources. My source are as good as it gets. BFI doesn't work well with OLEDs since they aren't bright enough. Mosquito noise is due to Sony doing s**t in the background and you can't turn it off. It is common on all manufacturers that they never offer you a direct pass-through(beside essential processing). Pioneer Kuro Elite had that.

PostPosted: 29 Jun 2017, 15:41 
True fan
True fan

It appears plasma is done so I'm glad I have one, although I thought I read LG is still making them.

PostPosted: 30 Jun 2017, 15:32 
True fan
True fan

I have a 2008 50" Pioneer PRO-111FD plasma TV in my bedroom. My Pioneer LD-S2 looks pretty good on it from my bed once I dial-in the enhancement settings to compensate for noisy mid-'80s pressings without leaving visible artifacts.

Its builtin 3D comb filter is just OK and the same is true of its deinterlacing, IVTC, and scaling algorithms. I'd likely see improvement with an external scaler, but I don't watch LD often in my bedroom anyway. It's mainly hooked up to the TV for me to see the OSD since I capture from the video output of the LD-S2 which bypasses the OSD.

~*~

I have a 2015 55" Sony KDL-55W800C LED TV in my living room. My Runco LJR-II looks pretty "meh" on it even after investing a considerable amount of time getting its enhancements just right. The 3D comb filter and deinterlacing, IVTC, and scaling algorithms are surprisingly better than those in the Pioneer PRO-111fd, so I'd likely benefit from having a better player and/or external scaler to use with this display. This is where I primarily watch LD, so I will upgrade in the future, but for now I have other priorities.

~*~

Finally, I have a 2002 27" Philips 27PS55S321 CRT TV in my DiscoVision room in the basement. Everything I connect to it looks fantastic. At the moment I use a Sylvania VP-7200 to watch DiscoVisions on it and a Pioneer Elite CLD-79 to watch the DiscoVision Frenzy side 5 (since the CLD-79 has the PSC feature) and more modern LDs.

I love this CRT in particular because it's late enough to be post-2000, but not late enough to have all of the convergence and geometry issues you get with a flat screen CRT. It's curved, but not extremely curved, and it only weighs 75lb. The builtin comb filter is crappy, but the LDs I usually watch on it didn't have enough luminance resolution pre-mastering for significant crosstalk to be present anyway. I see some rainbows on my DiscoVision copy of The Railway Children, but that's it.

The CRT is hands down my favorite. I've seen it display a Pioneer LD-S2 connected to an external 3D comb filter and it obviously looked amazing, but for what I play my Sylvania VP-7200 looks just as good if I'm being honest.

I've measured it and this CRT exceeds 5MHz of Y' and ~1.3MHz of C from GGV1069: definitely good enough for LD!

Here's an old picture of the TV in my DiscoVision room. It's considerably more full of discs now! I had to add a 2x8 IKEA Kallax to bring me up to 60 cubes in total. The players I used in there at this point in time were the Pioneer LD-V8000 and MCA DiscoVision PR-7820, but I've since sold both to fund what I use now.

PostPosted: 02 Jul 2017, 06:08 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Impressive room there - and I'm kinda surprised you sold the 7820.

I wouldn't mind a Plasma if I got a great deal on one, but the power consumption/heat going into summer make it a bit less interesting.

I'm in the 'appreciate LD for what it is' school these days - I recently got a 20" PVM-20L2 (basic 2004 model, no 480P/1080I alas) for $10 at a high school rummage sale - works well with a DVL-919. In the living room I have a CLD-D406 w/32" 1080P Panasonic 32S1 (2009 model) and to me it does a good job of reflecting the quality of the disks themselves.

(sadly, there was a 34XBR960 at a rummage sale last weekend for $5, but I didn't have the resources to bring it home... and the housemate acceptance factor would be very, very low ;) )

PostPosted: 29 Aug 2017, 15:23 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Yes....my definitive equipment combination is a

32" Crt Loewe with two players (DVD-VHS)

Obviously the always great DVD for new movies and the VHS (finally sorry LD) for everything analog, it just won me over LD on a small screen...it is simple,cheap,infinite library and good tapes look great

Acuozzo...amazing room

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ]